+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City Stadium

Cardiff City Stadium

Originally our new stadium was named as Cardiff City Stadium, as it would be easier to change once the naming rights were sold. Nearly 10 years down the line and the name hasn’t changed.

I know there was the issue with Sam being entitled to a certain amount of the proceeds from any naming rights deal, is that still the case? If so that might explain why the rights haven’t been sold by the club. However if not, I wonder why the naming rights haven’t been sold, particularly ahead of last season when we were in the premier league and it would have been much more attractive.

I’m happy with the name of the stadium as it is, however in the days where nearly everything is branded, I wonder why the club is missing out on this income stream?

Re: Cardiff City Stadium

I thought Sam was no longer entitled to any percentage of the naming rights money. I thought that he lost that once Langston had been sorted and his lifelong presidency ended.

I quite like it, long may it last. We've already got one clusterf**k of a sponsored stadium name in the city, the last thing we need is the KY Jelly Stadium as well

I agree I like the name Cardiff city stadium

Clearly something behind why it hasn't been. For a club that gets its announcer to mention mpn windows doors and conservatories every substition then I can't imagine they are turning away sponsorship for the ground. It's hardly as if it's a 100 year old tradition.

I'd pay for it to be named Ninian Park....

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I quite like it, long may it last. We've already got one clusterf**k of a sponsored stadium name in the city, the last thing we need is the KY Jelly Stadium as well
    Would be a smooth transition though

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    How about Ninian Stadium? Ninian Park feels like it should be left as a memory of what that place was. Ninian Stadium keeps tradition and is modern day

How about Ninian Stadium? Ninian Park feels like it should be left as a memory of what that place was. Ninian Stadium keeps tradition and is modern day
    I hate the word 'Stadium' not sure why! How about The New Ninian? Does sound like a pub though

There will be only 1 Ninian and its gone.

Just thankful weve a great new stadium in the same area , same pubs to go to.

West Ham as it was more or less killed off and became a tourist trap with their move.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I hate the word 'Stadium' not sure why! How about The New Ninian? Does sound like a pub though
    Ok fair enough. Not into New Ninian for the same reason as you just mentioned.

I've got it...

Sloper Park

Ok fair enough. Not into New Ninian for the same reason as you just mentioned.

I've got it...

Sloper Park
    Winner!

The Leckwith Thunderdome?

Remember when people used to pretend that Ninian Park had always been known as The Old Lady? What a bunch of shite.

Seeing as the decent people of Cardiff seem to have lost the battle vis a vis the Caroline Street/Chippy Lane thing to the students and the mouth-breathers, I guess the name "Caroline Street" is going spare so we could always call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Remember when people used to pretend that Ninian Park had always been known as The Old Lady? What a bunch of shite.

Seeing as the decent people of Cardiff seem to have lost the battle vis a vis the Caroline Street/Chippy Lane thing to the students and the mouth-breathers, I guess the name "Caroline Street" is going spare so we could always call it that.
    Sorry Nick, you might not have seen - this thread is actually over, the best name possible has been suggested

Sorry Nick, you might not have seen - this thread is actually over, the best name possible has been suggested
    Fair enough. Sloper Park it is. Although I preferred the Leckwith Thunderdome. Perhaps it could have a nickname too? The Young Lady, to keep up the invented tradition?

There's a recall, sorry. I love Nick's idea about calling it Caroline Street but the Leckwith Thunderdome is brilliant. Could you imagine them introducing the summariser on Sky with that name! Maybe we could use Sloper Park for the training facility-Sorry Delm...

Fair enough. Sloper Park it is. Although I preferred the Leckwith Thunderdome. Perhaps it could have a nickname too? The Young Lady, to keep up the invented tradition?
    Young Lady is to boring. How about Big Barbara?

Only if we can run out to "Love Really Hurts Without You"...

If they put a pastry roof on the place it could be re-named as The Clark's Pie Stadium.

Spurs have gone for the same idea with the Tottenham Hotspurs stadium haven’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If they put a pastry roof on the place it could be re-named as The Clark's Pie Stadium.
    It's a nice idea, but let's be honest that is an absolutely massive "if".

The benefit of the leckwith thunderdome is that it is accurate. It is in leckwith. it's not really a dome but dome is a bit like Dom which is German for cathedral and it's certainly a cathedral. and obviously we do get thunder in leckwith, sometomes over the thunderdome itself. It's perfect. Can someone give Vinny a call and get it sorted?

It's a nice idea, but let's be honest that is an absolutely massive "if".

The benefit of the leckwith thunderdome is that it is accurate. It is in leckwith. it's not really a dome but dome is a bit like Dom which is German for cathedral and it's certainly a cathedral. and obviously we do get thunder in leckwith, sometomes over the thunderdome itself. It's perfect. Can someone give Vinny a call and get it sorted?
    See if he can sort out the Etien Velikonja stand at the same time.

I'm all for the Leckwith Thunderdome

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Gosh yes , what a great thought , should we start a crowd fund campaign???