+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ashes - 3rd Test

Re: Ashes - 3rd Test

If they pull this off you'll never hear the end of it from the 'little englanders', whose new 'hero' is a West Indian.

Another poor umpiring decision, bat nowhere near it.
    Whatever happened to giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt?

Come on

England win

Eng win!!!

Never seen anything like that in cricket.
    Unbelievable effort by Stokes.

Wow, just wow

Awesome. That last hour was just unbelievable.

Ben Stokes! Bloody hell!

I don't understand cricket but really enjoyed the commentary on BBC 5 Live just now.

The greatest innings i have ever seen. Ben Stokes you are a genius

Ben Stokes is unreal, he won the world cup for them almost singlehandedly 6 weeks ago and now he's done that

I did laugh when people were talking about a knighthood for the bloke after the WC but after this, it is a probability.

The test match itself was superb but the circumstances in how it was won just unreal.
    The fumbled run out by Lyon when England needed two to win.

Botham's 1981 innings at Headingly has just been topped.

Edit: Anybody be bothered watching Spurs v Newcastle?

One of the greatest Test innings of all time.

Better than Bothams in 81.

I only have Sky Sports Main Event and wanted to watch Super Sunday as I thought England wouldn’t do it.
    Glad Sky aired the cricket instead of the footy now:

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

The test match itself was superb but the circumstances in how it was won just unreal.
    The fumbled run out by Lyon when England needed two to win.
    It was an incredible finish to a great test. On top of Lyons fumble there was the dropped catch (albeit a tough one), Aus poor with the review and Leach with the greatest single ever

Imagine not loving sport, wow just wow I could barely watch.

As mentioned elsewhere, the best innings I have ever witnessed. When Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes & Broad folded it was all over and Stokes decision made for him. Incredible performance and early favourite for SPOTY

Cricket is nowhere near my favourite sport but when it's good it's tough to top it for drama and tension

Cricket today showed so many positives as a sport , endurance , determination, ruthlessness excitement.

And above all an astonishing finish with glorious fan adulation.

To keep a 5 day game going each day ,filling the stands, game twisting and tuning session by session , leaves you speechless at times.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    It was an incredible finish to a great test. On top of Lyons fumble there was the dropped catch (albeit a tough one), Aus poor with the review and Leach with the greatest single ever
    The picture of Leach wiping his glasses ckear , because of the heat and sweat was heroic stuff .

Stokesy probaly saying to him (just navigate one ball per over mate
    I'll get the rest ) was pure bulldog spirit .

As Stokesy hit the winner and the west terrace in the background erupting with mayhem , drinks flying in the air ,bloody priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Watching England collapse makes cricket bearable
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Lol
    Proud Welshmen, voting for Brexit, supporting Donald Trump, happy for an Englishman to captain their country in football!, and now cheering some chavvy English **** in the cricket?
    Hang your heads.

Wow best innings I he e ever seen, yes we rode our luck, Australia bottled it with the run out, and wasted a review, think stokes deserved abit of luck

I listened to every ball today on Test Match Special and at the end I felt like I'd been 15 rounds with Mike Tyson. Elated but exhausted. I'm not normally a nail-biter but they've been pretty much decimated today.

To all those (on this messageboard and the other one) who believe it's unpatriotic to support an England cricket team, please check out the history of the game and note that players from all the home countries have captained the team at one time or another.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I listened to every ball today on Test Match Special and at the end I felt like I'd been 15 rounds with Mike Tyson. Elated but exhausted. I'm not normally a nail-biter but they've been pretty much decimated today.

To all those (on this messageboard and the other one) who believe it's unpatriotic to support an England cricket team, please check out the history of the game and note that players from all the home countries have captained the team at one time or another.
    Not a cricket fan in general but like the excitement especially the ashes.

The end to the 20-20 world cup with a sudden death over was possibly close to the excitement of today.

England & Wales Cricket Board v New Zealand on the scorecard / Sky TV coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwu1yIC-ssg

It is absolutely incredible that two days after being bowled out for 67 in good batting conditions, England came up with their highest ever fourth innings total to win a test match, but, perhaps, the most encouraging thing to come out of the post match interviews was to hear Stuart Broad in particular saying that a lot of England's play over the four days had just not been good enough. Although the lament I posted after England's first innings looks a bit daft now, the truth is that England only won because four of their batsman played proper test innings'.

Joe Root went back to basics to give England a chance after the loss of two early wickets, Joe Denly grafted away, but showed in the way he got out that it might be best to drop him now. the brilliant Jack Leach, a mad moment that should have seen him run out apart, looked the calmest man in the ground, but, despite that trios efforts, it needed the most astonishing innings from an extraordinary cricketer to get them over the line.

Ben Stokes was supposed to have played a once in a lifetime innings six weeks ago, but this is no ordinary cricketer. His efforts with the ball in the Australian second innings showed that, but, as mentioned earlier, what happened yesterday should mean that every other British sportsman/woman we see over the rest of this year is only competing for second place in the sports personality of the year award.

There was one other batsman who played a part in winning that game - Jonny Bairstow, who I would drop from the team, provided a boost to the side by playing the sort of one day type innings that I think is at the root of England's troubles, but he rode his luck to do so and, for me at least, the same doubts remain as to whether he has the all round game for test cricket,

Stokes, however, offers the best of both worlds - he had the modern day strokes played to perfection to launch England towards an almost impossible win after the ninth wicket had fallen, but he had also scored only two from sixty six balls at the time Root was out. Okay, that's an extreme example of the defensive outlook that you need to show at times in test cricket, but, like Ian Botham before him, Stokes has a good defensive technique when he chooses to use it - yesterday's incredible events don't change the fact that too many of his England team mates do not.