+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ashes - 3rd Test

First Team

Re: Ashes - 3rd Test

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is absolutely incredible that two days after being bowled out for 67 in good batting conditions, England came up with their highest ever fourth innings total to win a test match, but, perhaps, the most encouraging thing to come out of the post match interviews was to hear Stuart Broad in particular saying that a lot of England's play over the four days had just not been good enough. Although the lament I posted after England's first innings looks a bit daft now, the truth is that England only won because four of their batsman played proper test innings'.

Joe Root went back to basics to give England a chance after the loss of two early wickets, Joe Denly grafted away, but showed in the way he got out that it might be best to drop him now. the brilliant Jack Leach, a mad moment that should have seen him run out apart, looked the calmest man in the ground, but, despite that trios efforts, it needed the most astonishing innings from an extraordinary cricketer to get them over the line.

Ben Stokes was supposed to have played a once in a lifetime innings six weeks ago, but this is no ordinary cricketer. His efforts with the ball in the Australian second innings showed that, but, as mentioned earlier, what happened yesterday should mean that every other British sportsman/woman we see over the rest of this year is only competing for second place in the sports personality of the year award.

There was one other batsman who played a part in winning that game - Jonny Bairstow, who I would drop from the team, provided a boost to the side by playing the sort of one day type innings that I think is at the root of England's troubles, but he rode his luck to do so and, for me at least, the same doubts remain as to whether he has the all round game for test cricket,

Stokes, however, offers the best of both worlds - he had the modern day strokes played to perfection to launch England towards an almost impossible win after the ninth wicket had fallen, but he had also scored only two from sixty six balls at the time Root was out. Okay, that's an extreme example of the defensive outlook that you need to show at times in test cricket, but, like Ian Botham before him, Stokes has a good defensive technique when he chooses to use it - yesterday's incredible events don't change the fact that too many of his England team mates do not.
    Incredible day of sport but that is every get out of jail card free card played for the next few years.

Does that match the Botham and Willis match at the same ground way back?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Incredible day of sport but that is every get out of jail card free card played for the next few years.

Does that match the Botham and Willis match at the same ground way back?
    Yes, I think so, but one difference was that it seemed like the whole country was watching the game in 1981, whereas, because it wasn't on live on terrestrial television yesterday, the audience watching it live would have been a fraction of the 1981 figure - great to hear it being said so often that the one day stuff may be exciting at times, but test cricket is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Not a cricket fan in general but like the excitement especially the ashes.

The end to the 20-20 world cup with a sudden death over was possibly close to the excitement of today.

England & Wales Cricket Board v New Zealand on the scorecard / Sky TV coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwu1yIC-ssg
    Hate to be that guy but it was the one day world cup final not 20-20

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is absolutely incredible that two days after being bowled out for 67 in good batting conditions, England came up with their highest ever fourth innings total to win a test match, but, perhaps, the most encouraging thing to come out of the post match interviews was to hear Stuart Broad in particular saying that a lot of England's play over the four days had just not been good enough. Although the lament I posted after England's first innings looks a bit daft now, the truth is that England only won because four of their batsman played proper test innings'.

Joe Root went back to basics to give England a chance after the loss of two early wickets, Joe Denly grafted away, but showed in the way he got out that it might be best to drop him now. the brilliant Jack Leach, a mad moment that should have seen him run out apart, looked the calmest man in the ground, but, despite that trios efforts, it needed the most astonishing innings from an extraordinary cricketer to get them over the line.

Ben Stokes was supposed to have played a once in a lifetime innings six weeks ago, but this is no ordinary cricketer. His efforts with the ball in the Australian second innings showed that, but, as mentioned earlier, what happened yesterday should mean that every other British sportsman/woman we see over the rest of this year is only competing for second place in the sports personality of the year award.

There was one other batsman who played a part in winning that game - Jonny Bairstow, who I would drop from the team, provided a boost to the side by playing the sort of one day type innings that I think is at the root of England's troubles, but he rode his luck to do so and, for me at least, the same doubts remain as to whether he has the all round game for test cricket,

Stokes, however, offers the best of both worlds - he had the modern day strokes played to perfection to launch England towards an almost impossible win after the ninth wicket had fallen, but he had also scored only two from sixty six balls at the time Root was out. Okay, that's an extreme example of the defensive outlook that you need to show at times in test cricket, but, like Ian Botham before him, Stokes has a good defensive technique when he chooses to use it - yesterday's incredible events don't change the fact that too many of his England team mates do not.
    As usual you sum it up very well but l don’t agree with you on dropping Denly or Bairstow both have good enough technique to play test cricket,Roy though needs to go away and apply himself if he wants to play at this level,what has been obviously lacking up till now is a lack of patience to bat for long periods as shown in the first innings what l found most amazing about Stokes yesterday was not his hitting we all know he’s got that but it was the patience he showed early on in his innings a remarkable transformation from his extraordinary first innings dismissal,and if England are looking for a number three batsmen in the Kallis mould they need to look no further

It was a fantastic win. Probably the most incredible match and innings in Test history.

It shouldn't paper over what is a poor batting line up that was bowled out for 67 and that score isnt a one off.

There is a case for dropping all the batsmen bar Root and Stokes.

If Stokes hadnt performed a miracle then Bairstows loose shot and Root again failing to convert a 50 to a century would have been highlighted rather than valuable knocks.

Burns Woakes and Denly look found out by the short ball. Roy looks a walking wicket. Bairstow definitely has a technique issue at Test level but is probably the 3rd best batsmen. Buttlers record isnt good enough.

They have to bring in 2 new additions. Id have made 4 if the Ashes had gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It was a fantastic win. Probably the most incredible match and innings in Test history.

It shouldn't paper over what is a poor batting line up that was bowled out for 67 and that score isnt a one off.

There is a case for dropping all the batsmen bar Root and Stokes.

If Stokes hadnt performed a miracle then Bairstows loose shot and Root again failing to convert a 50 to a century would have been highlighted rather than valuable knocks.

Burns Woakes and Denly look found out by the short ball. Roy looks a walking wicket. Bairstow definitely has a technique issue at Test level but is probably the 3rd best batsmen. Buttlers record isnt good enough.

They have to bring in 2 new additions. Id have made 4 if the Ashes had gone.
    Think the cupboard is pretty bare to be honest,and I’m afraid that maybe the mindset is so geared to white ball cricket that you may be right,but if you look at the outrageous shot Stokes got out to in the first innings and put that up against his discipline in the second then the others need to take a lead from him

To add though that even though it was wonderful to watch yesterday,for me the best team lost and l still believe Australia will go on to win the series

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Proud Welshmen, voting for Brexit, supporting Donald Trump, happy for an Englishman to captain their country in football!, and now cheering some chavvy English **** in the cricket?
    Hang your heads.
    Lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    To add though that even though it was wonderful to watch yesterday,for me the best team lost and l still believe Australia will go on to win the series
    The Australian team has similar issues to Englands. Dodgy batting line up. They have Smith though.

Its hard to argue the better team lost when they couldnt reach 250 in either innings.

Englands shambolic 1st innings was the reason they would have won. They deserved nothing.

Its wide open.

I've watched that Nathan Lyon mis-field several times now and it's like a renaissance painting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/49467710

Proud Welshmen, voting for Brexit, supporting Donald Trump, happy for an Englishman to captain their country in football!, and now cheering some chavvy English **** in the cricket?
    Hang your heads.
    Cartmantears.jpg

That was the greatest innings in test match history and if you can't enjoy that, then I feel sorry for you.

The Australian team has similar issues to Englands. Dodgy batting line up. They have Smith though.

Its hard to argue the better team lost when they couldnt reach 250 in either innings.

Englands shambolic 1st innings was the reason they would have won. They deserved nothing.

Its wide open.
    Agreed. Smith and Labuschagne are the only Aussies who can bat, while Stokes and Burns are the only ones doing the business for England. Burns is getting found out and I believe England will work out Labuschagne. The Aussies completely lost the plot in that last session.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Agreed. Smith and Labuschagne are the only Aussies who can bat, while Stokes and Burns are the only ones doing the business for England. Burns is getting found out and I believe England will work out Labuschagne. The Aussies completely lost the plot in that last session.
    US sports has the concept of 'clutch'. Ben stokes, Jack Leach: clutch. Tim Payne, Nathan Lyon: not clutch. Really, really not.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    US sports has the concept of 'clutch'. Ben stokes, Jack Leach: clutch. Tim Payne, Nathan Lyon: not clutch. Really, really not.
    I did enjoy the call of "ummmmm... yes" when Stokes hit one through the covers to run a single. Paine's fields were odd, he stopped trying to get Stokes out, he didn't bring the fielders in on the 5th ball of overs and their tactics to Leach were unbelievable. Just bumpers, no yorkers, no good balls to make him play. I don't understand it at all but I bet they don't, either.

Cartmantears.jpg

That was the greatest innings in test match history and if you can't enjoy that, then I feel sorry for you.
    Ha ha....maybe when Scotland gains independence, and Ireland can afford to take Northern Ireland back, then they can call it the UK cricket team. I might support them then.
    Stokes is a great cricketer, but he’s a bully, and has no class, so therefore I don’t like him, and would certainly not cheer him, whatever he did. Not even if he played for his real country!

Lets hope theres more to come and we take the Ashes back from the cons.

Lets hope theres more to come and we take the Ashes back from the cons.
    England have to win it now. If the Stokes miracle is ultimately irrelevant because Australia retain the ashes, it will be more easily forgotten. People getting very excited (and quite rightly) about the brilliance of that innings, but if it is ultimately futile it will become a forgotten miracle rather than an established Ashes legend. That is the way it should be, of course. But it was such an astonishing display of courage, skill, concentration and determination that it deserves to be remembered forever.

The West Indian bowler, and Kiwi all rounder, won’t be enough for England, when the Aussies are back to full strength
    i.e. The best batsman in the World is back.

The West Indian bowler, and Kiwi all rounder, won’t be enough for England, when the Aussies are back to full strength
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Lol

Their South African middle order batsman has done well since replacing Smith.

Hopefully Archer is the answer to Smith.

Exciting last couple of Tests.

Bring the Ashes home boys.

Is Khawaja a Pakistani, then? Maybe Labuschagne is South African? Oh wait, that doesn't suit your narrative. It's a good job Michael Neser was born in that Australian suburb of Pretoria.

The world is getting increasingly smaller and Stokes is British, as if Jofra. You're consistent, I'll give you that. Is Sterling a Jamaican? Perhaps Earnie should have played for Zambia, or should Steve O'Keefe be Malaysian?

Is Khawaja a Pakistani, then? Maybe Labuschagne is South African? Oh wait, that doesn't suit your narrative. It's a good job Michael Neser was born in that Australian suburb of Pretoria.

The world is getting increasingly smaller and Stokes is British, as if Jofra. You're consistent, I'll give you that. Is Sterling a Jamaican? Perhaps Earnie should have played for Zambia, or should Steve O'Keefe be Malaysian?
    I am consistent.
    I like players to play for their own country that’s all. Not just play for another country because they are deemed ‘better’ than yours, or because you aren’t good enough to play for your own country. These people are selfish, and deny people the opportunity to represent THEIR country.
    I realise times are changing, but I don’t have to like it, or agree with it.
    P.S. Stokes being a complete arsehole off the pitch doesn’t help either.

I am consistent.
    I like players to play for their own country that’s all. Not just play for another country because they are deemed ‘better’ than yours, or because you aren’t good enough to play for your own country. These people are selfish, and deny people the opportunity to represent THEIR country.
    I realise times are changing, but I don’t have to like it, or agree with it.
    P.S. Stokes being a complete arsehole off the pitch doesn’t help either.
    That is their country though. Stokes has been brought up in the UK since he was 12, he has a Cumbrian accent and wants to play for England. Also, if you think Stokes is an arsehole, I have some pretty bad news about our fanbase.

You're really going to argue that Steve O'Keefe couldn't play for Australia because he was born in Malaysia?

That is their country though. Stokes has been brought up in the UK since he was 12, he has a Cumbrian accent and wants to play for England. Also, if you think Stokes is an arsehole, I have some pretty bad news about our fanbase.

You're really going to argue that Steve O'Keefe couldn't play for Australia because he was born in Malaysia?
    I’m not arguing with anyone mate. I’ve made my point.

Not quite sure what our fan base has to do with anything? Are you saying that because some football fans are arseholes, then it’s OK for an International professional sportsman to be a complete Cnut too?