+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Match day subscription for Ex-pats...

Match day subscription for Ex-pats...

Just returned from holiday and tried again this morning to register for the season-long package for fans living overseas.

I'd tried unsuccessfully a few weeks back and the same issue is blocking the purchase again. Buying the package doesn't seem to be the problem, that's worked ok on both occasions - but then you're asked to update your profile which is fair enough, but it doesn't let you passed the first section saying 'your landline isn't a valid number'. You can try all combinations with / without international codes etc but it doesn't like it and you can't complete the process.

Still, first time around, I wasn't too bothered as the payment appeared to have been taken and I left for hols thinking I'd be able to access Wigan and Luton. Of course it didn't work and having checked with Amex the payment hadn't been made as I thought. Got back last night and just tried again with the same result and I'll have to wait until tomorrow now as the club is closed.

Has anyone overseas had the same problem and managed to sort it, please?

Re: Match day subscription for Ex-pats...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Just returned from holiday and tried again this morning to register for the season-long package for fans living overseas.

I'd tried unsuccessfully a few weeks back and the same issue is blocking the purchase again. Buying the package doesn't seem to be the problem, that's worked ok on both occasions - but then you're asked to update your profile which is fair enough, but it doesn't let you passed the first section saying 'your landline isn't a valid number'. You can try all combinations with / without international codes etc but it doesn't like it and you can't complete the process.

Still, first time around, I wasn't too bothered as the payment appeared to have been taken and I left for hols thinking I'd be able to access Wigan and Luton. Of course it didn't work and having checked with Amex the payment hadn't been made as I thought. Got back last night and just tried again with the same result and I'll have to wait until tomorrow now as the club is closed.

I gave up years ago with this nonsense.
    It was CC player then.
    It's a shambles.

My dad is 94 and would love to watch City play. Jersey is not in the UK. But it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    I gave up years ago with this nonsense.
    It was CC player then.
    It's a shambles.

My dad is 94 and would love to watch City play. Jersey is not in the UK. But it just doesn't work.
    Thanks for your input but I'm sure I've seen others who appear to have got through this, just can't see how.

If no-one else contributes today I'll be giving whoever it is at the club a right bashing tomorrow

Well I'll be blowed!

No sooner did I post the thread, when an email from the Club arrived confirming they'd successfully received my subscription!

So what happened to the process a few weeks back when I did exactly the same thing and subsequently missed 2 games?

Won't be happy until I see a live picture come Sunday.

International

A lot of these things requiring a valid phone number are just computer generated things. you can put in any number and the form will process. I just did one and put in 0044 1234567 and the form accepted it.
    Put anything in, and I wouldn't be surprised if it works as long as its 0044 or starts with a 0

Well I'll be blowed!

No sooner did I post the thread, when an email from the Club arrived confirming they'd successfully received my subscription!

So what happened to the process a few weeks back when I did exactly the same thing and subsequently missed 2 games?

Won't be happy until I see a live picture come Sunday.
    Both games so far, I have trouble finding a link and then logging in. Even though I've paid for each game the day before. However, as I understand it, Sunday's game won't be shown as it's on Sky and ESPN+.

I've watched the first two league games and the friendly and it's got better each time. It appears they've ironed out the issues from the friendly.

The only problem that I have is that even though I'm outside the UK I stll need to use a VPN because my country blocks a lot of international web traffic, which makes logging in stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    I've watched the first two league games and the friendly and it's got better each time. It appears they've ironed out the issues from the friendly.

The only problem that I have is that even though I'm outside the UK I stll need to use a VPN because my country blocks a lot of international web traffic, which makes logging in stall.

As you know Shute, I'm in China too. If I try to log in it says I need to complete the captcha, however, there is NO captcha. When I use my VPN I am able to log in without any issues and without the need to complete captcha.
    I had a nightmare experience trying to watch the Luton game though. I am not kidding you, I must have only been able to view a total of 7-8 minutes of the first half (I gave up trying for the second half!) there was constant buffering. I had even upgraded my Internet speed to 270.0Mbps, seemed worse than ever! I ended up watching the whole recorded game the following day.
    One further point, didn't they promise there would be something like FOUR cameras in operation? It seemed like just the one to me..

Just for my pennies worth. I’m an expat living in Cyprus although currently on a 10 week jolly in Malaysia. I took out my subscription about a week before the season started whilst on my jolly and had no problem at all in the process. Ok the commentary issues against Wigan were crap but they seem to have been resolved thus far.

So no complaints from me...............football could be better tho.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Both games so far, I have trouble finding a link and then logging in. Even though I've paid for each game the day before. However, as I understand it, Sunday's game won't be shown as it's on Sky and ESPN+.
    Just my luck! Thanks for the warning, though. Not sure I can get ESPN+ with Directv, the only provider in rural Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    As you know Shute, I'm in China too. If I try to log in it says I need to complete the captcha, however, there is NO captcha. When I use my VPN I am able to log in without any issues and without the need to complete captcha.
    I had a nightmare experience trying to watch the Luton game though. I am not kidding you, I must have only been able to view a total of 7-8 minutes of the first half (I gave up trying for the second half!) there was constant buffering. I had even upgraded my Internet speed to 270.0Mbps, seemed worse than ever! I ended up watching the whole recorded game the following day.
    One further point, didn't they promise there would be something like FOUR cameras in operation? It seemed like just the one to me..
    I did get some buffering in the Wigan game but it was better for me against Luton. I think once or twice I had to hit pause and play, possibly only missing 10 seconds or so. I'm using Astrill VPN on America supercharged servers. I think one of the issues seems to be that we play our games at the peak time when a lot of people are streaming content in the building I am living in. I usually get a more reliable connection when people are at work or sleeping.

About the cameras I'm not sure how many they used. There were some weird zooms going on. At least it's better than iplayer was. Replays and commentary help.

Just my luck! Thanks for the warning, though. Not sure I can get ESPN+ with Directv, the only provider in rural Iowa.
    You can get it online. On a computer or Roku/Firestick etc. You can also sign up for a month's free trial and cancel it without paying. I've done it multiple times.

The camera angles for the Luton game changed come the second half, with the addition of the score and time on the screen and replays. Think they had some technical issues leading up to kick off, so had to abandon for a single camera angle for the first half.

The only complaint I have of the service is the redesigned app is appalling and you canot use chromecast with it. But I get around that with laptop and hdmi cable.

How difficult is it to give a fake foreign address for fans based in the UK? Asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How difficult is it to give a fake foreign address for fans based in the UK? Asking for a friend
    Your credit card would probably have to match. But it's worth a try using a VPN. It'll only cost you a fiver. Try 200 Orchard Street, Apt 1A, New York, NY 10002. It's been demolished and a new address built over it.

Your credit card would probably have to match. But it's worth a try using a VPN. It'll only cost you a fiver. Try 200 Orchard Street, Apt 1A, New York, NY 10002. It's been demolished and a new address built over it.
    What are the neighbours like?

You can get it online. On a computer or Roku/Firestick etc. You can also sign up for a month's free trial and cancel it without paying. I've done it multiple times.
    I like that, NYC; if all else fails....thanks

I used my British credit card even though I live abroad.

I use a UK registered debit card without any issues. I did provide a Chinese mobile number, I didn't get sent any confirmation code or anything like that. Ironically, despite living outside of the UK I still use a VPN to log in for reasons which I have explained earlier in this thread. It might be a good idea that you.. err, sorry, I meant your friend, uses a VPN when doing the payment process.

Are you able to watch the games at a later date? Most of the games are played during the night for me so would prefer if recordings were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Are you able to watch the games at a later date? Most of the games are played during the night for me so would prefer if recordings were available.
    If it's a 3pm kickoff the game will be put up on the website at around 10am the following day. If it's an evening kickoff it will be shown the next day, albeit later than normal.

Sorry, I misread your post. You were asking about a fake foreign address and not about card payment.

In trying to answer your question though, I gave them my Chinese address (written in pinyin, not Chinese characters). I doubt very much that they would even think to try and verify that. Perhaps the phone number might be of more importance, but as I said, I never received any call or text message to the phone number I provided.

No, it doesn't need to, mine doesn't.

Ex-pat? You're an immigrant like everyone else. ;)

What are the neighbours like?
    They used to be really cool. There was a taqueria, a bar and a Turkish restaurant. Now it's giant building full of yuppie millennials.