+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cetlic and Rangers

Cetlic and Rangers

Geniune question as it was a heated debated between me and a mate - do you think either of the old firm would be Premier League teams?

We done an experiment on Football Manager to test it, but my mate GENUINELY thinks one of them would survive.

https://art19.com/shows/1aca8ae1-089...bb1b5476/embed

Re: Cetlic and Rangers

I remember you being good at sentences and spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    I remember you being good at sentences and spelling.
    We did....

I was so engrossed by the contents of the post that I missed the misspelling of 'Celtic' in the threads' title.

To answer the op question, I think the old firm would be decent championship teams, nothing more.
    A hard game every week would expose them to be nothing special.just big fish in a small pond.

They'd be lower half of the championship in my opinion with the squads they have now but they would inevitably be top end of the premier league within a few years as I imagine the billionaire's would be clamouring to buy them in no time.

Give Celtic a few years & they'd be up with the big boys in the Premier. They’re nigh on world wide on a Man U/Liverpool type scale and Premier League football would give them the final push. Anyone just catch that Las Vegas programme tonight, 2000 Celtic fans attending a Celtic themed holiday there. The whole hotel pandering to them, some clubs could only dream of that. Investors would most probably be clamouring to get involved.

International

I think with Cetlic's (sic) home fan base and the extra money from Premiership football once they were in it they'd stay in it.
    I'm not so sure about Rangers

With time they would both be comfortable prem clubs. Not winning the league bar a Leicester season and top 4 probably a step too far but comfortable enough.

Higher exposure would show celtic up though and they would quickly become the most disliked club in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    With time they would both be comfortable prem clubs. Not winning the league bar a Leicester season and top 4 probably a step too far but comfortable enough.

Higher exposure would show celtic up though and they would quickly become the most disliked club in the league.
    Every English fanbase already seem to hate Celtic, Rangers have far more to lose on that front

They'd both settle in after a while and be top ten because of the massive resources and fan base they've got.
    If Bournemouth and Brighton can sustain premiership football so can they, but the reason they're a bit crap at the moment is that they're playing in a league where the average competition is very poor with nearly empty grounds and no serious money being generated.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Give Celtic a few years & they'd be up with the big boys in the Premier. They’re nigh on world wide on a Man U/Liverpool type scale and Premier League football would give them the final push. Anyone just catch that Las Vegas programme tonight, 2000 Celtic fans attending a Celtic themed holiday there. The whole hotel pandering to them, some clubs could only dream of that. Investors would most probably be clamouring to get involved.
    Hi, what was that programme please? I was in Las Vegas for work and the hotel (well, bar) next to the conference centre was always full with Celtic shirts. It was called the Westgate I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Hi, what was that programme please? I was in Las Vegas for work and the hotel (well, bar) next to the conference centre was always full with Celtic shirts. It was called the Westgate I think.
    On Channel 5, 9pm, 2nd part tonight i think

The novelty of Celtic and Rangers in a more UK league would see some immediate investment for both as the financial rewards would be far greater. They'd earn more TV money in the Championship than in the SPL while the amount they'd get in TV money for being in the top flight would see them easily compete with the big teams given time. In the Premier League demand for tickets would rise and questions would be asked of whether, at 60k and 50k, home grounds belonging to Celtic and Rangers would be big enough.

Could either break the monopoly of the top 6 given time? I believe so. Trying to speculate how both would do based on their current status is pointless as they are both given limited opportunities in a small league that offers peanuts. They both have the potential to be among the best supported PL sides, highly attractive to backers and both would eventually be capable of Champions League qualification.

Both clubs would easily survive in the PL given the funding.
    Both clubs would sell out home and away.
    As for most English fans hating Celtic, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Would the current squads survive? No. Would the clubs survive? Yes because they would quickly fix those squads like a promoted club but could and would pay established prem wages and could attract decent players

They'd be fine. Assuming they don't get dropped in with one day's notice, they'd have a summer or longer to get players in.

They'd be competing with Everton, West Ham, at a push Arsenal or Man Utd (for Celtic) for players so they'd have no trouble recruiting a better squad.

Would they have the same trouble as us recruiting players? Maybe yes if it's true most players want to live in London, Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool and struggle with the idea of living anywhere else; maybe no if you consider they have had years of building up a name and capital through massive fan base and forays into European football.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We did....

We carried out...
    We conducted

So many other options other than the one selected.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    We carried out...
    We conducted

So many other options other than the one selec ted.
    I like that baker thinks playing football manager constitutes "an experiment", and that the results of their research may in some way help determine the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Would they have the same trouble as us recruiting players? Maybe yes if it's true most players want to live in London, Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool and struggle with the idea of living anywhere else; maybe no if you consider they have had years of building up a name and capital through massive fan base and forays into European football.
    Seriously? London is obvious, and I can see the argument for living in Cheshire, but Birmingham?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I like that baker thinks playing football manager constitutes "an experiment", and that the results of their research may in some way help determine the answer.
    No, actually, I don't. It's just a bit of fun

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    We carried out...
    We conducted

So many other options other than the one selected.
    Ooh, you're hard

The size of them means if they were in the premier league with premier league incomes they would easily survive.

Whether their current teams would is another matter. I think Celtic would easily stay up, Rangers would struggle.