+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Phil Lythgoe

Phil Lythgoe

Can you remember a former Cardiff City winger named Phil Lythgoe? No? To be honest, I'm not surprised.

Having previously played for Norwich City, Bristol Rovers and Oxford United, Lythgoe was signed by Bluebirds manager Len Ashurst from non-league Witney Town on a non-contract basis in May 1982 simply to play in a two-legged Welsh Cup final against Swansea City.

The first leg produced a 0-0 draw at Ninian Park, while the Swans won the second leg 2-1 at the Vetch. Lythgoe played in both matches, but he was not offered a more permanent contract and went back into non-league football.

Why am I mentioning this today? Well, I just saw the gentleman concerned being interviewed on Sky's Soccer Saturday and instantly recognised his name, although I'll admit I had to check the record books to find out exactly when he played for City. Lythgoe is currently Norwich's Player Liason Officer and has apparently been doing that job for a number of years. Fascinating, huh?

Re: Phil Lythgoe

I watched Len's eyebrows era can't recall this lad .

He's done well .

I love this quirky stuff .

TLG doth have a serious memory .

Yes. We'd just got relegated and City had a bit of a clearcut so we signed Phil Lythgoe and Stan MacEwan. Phil Lythgoe played in both legs, replacing Steve Grapes. The first leg was played before the final League game of the season and Grapes played in the last league game, and Lythgoe cam in again for the 2nd leg at Swansea, a game I attended and stood on the North Bank. We scored after about 2 minutes! Ron Healey also missed both legs of the final, replaced by Andy Dibble. MacEwan played in midfield in the second leg, replacing Gary Stevens and was a sub on the first leg. Stan MacEwan joined Exeter for the following season, his Wikipedia entry does not refer to his stint with us.

City released Peter Francombe, Peter Grotier, Steve Grapes, Wayne Hughes, Peter Kitchen, Mick Henderson, Andy Polycarpou and Paul Sugrue. Ron Healey retired and Gary Stevens was sold. Surprisingly Phil Dwyer was also released, I think he played in a trial game for Torquay but later signed back on and we were promoted the following season with pretty much a whole new team.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Surprisingly Phil Dwyer was also released, I think he played in a trial game for Torquay but later signed back on and we were promoted the following season with pretty much a whole new team.
    There was a major shake-up, although the 1982/83 squad did include John Lewis, Linden Jones, Jimmy Mullen, Tarki Micallef, Andy Dibble and the glorious Bennett Brothers. who'd all been there in 1981/82.

Signed just for the welsh cup against the jacks.
    LA described him as a Rolls Royce without an engine.
    If my memory serves me correctly was not a jack sent off for bringing him down when clean through on goal.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    Signed just for the welsh cup against the jacks.
    LA described him as a Rolls Royce without an engine.
    If my memory serves me correctly was not a jack sent off for bringing him down when clean through on goal.
    Yes I remember it was Ante Rajkovic, who was a dirty Jack b*****d!

You forgot billy woof.
    Didn't he play one game for us and score the winner.
    I was at a wedding that day and remember sneaking out to listen to the game on the radio.