+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Windows 10 update - beware

Windows 10 update - beware

Ran a Windows 10 update on the wife's laptop this afternoon and it has completely removed all the files - Word docs, photos, music, the whole lot. All the user's tips on the Internet have failed to work. Had a look at the various forums and it seems this is a known issue. How do Microsoft get away with this sort of thing? May have to resort to one of those data recovery companies to see if there is any chance of recovering the files. Most of the documentation stuff is backed up and the originals of the photos are still on the iPad or phone. However had we known about this issue we would have fully backed up everything before accepting the update!

Re: Windows 10 update - beware

Updated this morning. All appears to be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Ran a Windows 10 update on the wife's laptop this afternoon and it has completely removed all the files - Word docs, photos, music, the whole lot. All the user's tips on the Internet have failed to work. Had a look at the various forums and it seems this is a known issue. How do Microsoft get away with this sort of thing? May have to resort to one of those data recovery companies to see if there is any chance of recovering the files. Most of the documentation stuff is backed up and the originals of the photos are still on the iPad or phone. However had we known about this issue we would have fully backed up everything before accepting the update!
    Have a look on your C drive to see if Windows Old is listed, if so have a look at that. You can always try a system restore if you are happy to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    Have a look on your C drive to see if Windows Old is listed, if so have a look at that. You can always try a system restore if you are happy to do so.
    Yes, I looked for windows.old thanks but that's gone too! I'm not sure about doing a system restore - if the files have been deleted, would system restore be able to recover them? I assume once they're gone, they're gone?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Updated this morning. All appears to be ok?
    Yes, it seems that only a minority of Windows 10 users are affected, for some unknown reason (although that probably translates into thousands of users of course). My PC was updated last night and I also had no problems. (I made sure absolutely everything was backed up before I allowed the update to go ahead!). It seems the update to my wife's laptop was a major update as it took eons to complete, whereas the update to my PC took just a few minutes, so presumably not the same update.

Windows sucks!

Yes, it seems that only a minority of Windows 10 users are affected, for some unknown reason (although that probably translates into thousands of users of course). My PC was updated last night and I also had no problems. (I made sure absolutely everything was backed up before I allowed the update to go ahead!). It seems the update to my wife's laptop was a major update as it took eons to complete, whereas the update to my PC took just a few minutes, so presumably not the same update.
    Any luck since yesterday?

Is your missus' Windows account a local account, or does she log-in via a Microsoft account (outlook.com/hotmail.co.uk etc)?

Press the Windows Key + X, then G (or select Computer Management)

You should see a window with Local Users & Groups in the left pane, click on that and select Users.

If her account is displayed, check if she is an administrator by right-clicking on her account name and selecting properties. Once in properties, there is a tab at the top "Members Of".

I'm sure only Administrators have full access to Windows.old

Let me know the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by length View Post
    Press the Windows Key + X, then G (or select Computer Management)

You should see a window with Local Users & Groups in the left pane, click on that and select Users.

If her account is displayed, check if she is an administrator by right-clicking on her account name and selecting properties. Once in properties, there is a tab at the top "Members Of".

I'm sure only Administrators have full access to Windows.old

Let me know the outcome.
    OK, thanks for the tip, we'll have a go at that. I have contacted a local "PC doctor" type company who claim to be able to restore deleted data but have had no reply from them as yet.

OK, thanks for the tip, we'll have a go at that. I have contacted a local "PC doctor" type company who claim to be able to restore deleted data but have had no reply from them as yet.
    Length - thanks, we tried that, but did not see a window called Local Users & Groups. Our local PC Doctor chap had a look and discovered that the Windows Profile (?) had been corrupted during the update. The "deleted" files were actually still there but invisible to Windows Explorer, giving rise to the "this folder is empty" messages. He was able to sort it anyway thankfully and all is back to normal. I have now bought a second external hard drive (1TB - they are so much cheaper now), so we each back up all our stuff on the two external devices as a belt and braces approach!