+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I prefer Netflix to Amazon when it comes to fly on the wall football documentaries.

I prefer Netflix to Amazon when it comes to fly on the wall football documentaries.

I thought I was going to love Prime's new six part documentary about Leeds United's 2018/19 season because that team is one of only three in this country that I genuinely can't stand, along with Chelsea and Glasgow Rangers. The knowledge of what was going to happen sustained me through the early episodes, but when the implosion came, I found the whole thing rather flat and I can only think that this was because, so I understand, the production company and director behind the series were made up of Leeds fans, so the late season disasters were portrayed almost as heroic failures - which they, manifestly, were not.

Prime's Man City documentary series was boring for me because the subject team were simply too good and, apart from their Championship League defeat, nothing happened to suggest they are a "normal" club - there was almost a reverential feel to it.

On the other hand, Netflix's documentary on Sunderland stood apart from its subject and just portrayed things as they were (to the extent that it showed one of their cameraman being attacked and having his camera broken by Sunderland fans at Bristol City). I was able to empathise with the Sunderland fans because I could relate to the hurt they were going through, but I felt none of that in the Leeds documentary because it seemed to me that you were not allowed to get as close to the supporters - or maybe it was down to my strong dislike of their football club .

Re: I prefer Netflix to Amazon when it comes to fly on the wall football documentaries.

Dirty Leeds

Re: I prefer Netflix to Amazon when it comes to fly on the wall football documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought I was going to love Prime's new six part documentary about Leeds United's 2018/19 season because that team is one of only three in this country that I genuinely can't stand, along with Chelsea and Glasgow Rangers. The knowledge of what was going to happen sustained me through the early episodes, but when the implosion came, I found the whole thing rather flat and I can only think that this was because, so I understand, the production company and director behind the series were made up of Leeds fans, so the late season disasters were portrayed almost as heroic failures - which they, manifestly, were not.

Prime's Man City documentary series was boring for me because the subject team were simply too good and, apart from their Championship League defeat, nothing happened to suggest they are a "normal" club - there was almost a reverential feel to it.

On the other hand, Netflix's documentary on Sunderland stood apart from its subject and just portrayed things as they were (to the extent that it showed one of their cameraman being attacked and having his camera broken by Sunderland fans at Bristol City). I was able to empathise with the Sunderland fans because I could relate to the hurt they were going through, but I felt none of that in the Leeds documentary because it seemed to me that you were not allowed to get as close to the supporters - or maybe it was down to my strong dislike of their football club .
    I don't know if you like Formula One but Netflix's review of last season was really good too.

The Sunderland doc was made by Sunderland fans, maybe hard to paint anything they did as heroic though

Sunderland's doc did not have any editorial input by Sunderland, whereas Man City and Leeds' was done with the club. They're a complete waste of time. Also, Leeds fans are already celebrating their promotion, honestly, they're the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Sunderland's doc did not have any editorial input by Sunderland, whereas Man City and Leeds' was done with the club. They're a complete waste of time. Also, Leeds fans are already celebrating their promotion, honestly, they're the worst.
    Who remembers a previous fly-on-the-wall documentary following Sunderland and Peter Reid's unsanitised managerial rants in the dressing room?