+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlon Pack

Re: Marlon Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Do you think that NW would admit he was wrong/lose face by dropping the ponderous Flint and playing Nelson ?
    Flint is lacking confidence.
    It’s absolutely shot to shit. His defending for that Reading goal wasn’t just slow, it was appalling. He wasn’t even close to being the right side of him.

He is a confidence player. When he was out of the team 3 seasons ago and came on now and again he was awful.
    He needs to feel he’s on top of his game, he loves scoring, he loves being “the man” with the last ditch tackles....

The two Cardiff lads I watched it with didn’t think he was that bad but didn’t think he was great Sunday.
    But they aren’t comparing to the player I know he can be.
    It’s not Cardiff’s fault.
    It’s the season he’s just had.

Dropping him though would damage him further.
    A man of Neil Warnock’s experience will know this.
    I imagine he’ll work hard to get his confidence back but **** me, he’s a shadow of the bloke I saw.
    He looked a right carthorse and I know he’s not!

Quote Originally Posted by Jursset_BrisCity View Post
    Flint was 30 last month. Morrison will be 29 in January.

Neither of these players were quick to begin with, but they sure ain't going to get any quicker in the coming months.

Bamba will be 35 in January and he has to get over a bad knee injury.

It doesn't bode well.

If it gives you a bit of hope, Pack has played at Centre back before and he was ****ing good too.

It’s absolutely shot to shit. His defending for that Reading goal wasn’t just slow, it was appalling. He wasn’t even close to being the right side of him.

He is a confidence player. When he was out of the team 3 seasons ago and came on now and again he was awful.
    He needs to feel he’s on top of his game, he loves scoring, he loves being “the man” with the last ditch tackles....

The two Cardiff lads I watched it with didn’t think he was that bad but didn’t think he was great Sunday.

I imagine he’ll work hard to get his confidence back but **** me, he’s a shadow of the bloke I saw.

In his, and Morrison's defence, the full backs did them 0 favours yesterday, they were the biggest burden in the team. If you have slow centre backs, you at least need mindful full backs to cover, and yesterday they were not. A poor performance from the centre backs made even worse by an equally bad performance from our full backs. You are right however, you have to let the partnership build.

In his, and Morrison's defence, the full backs did them 0 favours yesterday, they were the biggest burden in the team. If you have slow centre backs, you at least need mindful full backs to cover, and yesterday they were not. A poor performance from the centre backs made even worse by an equally bad performance from our full backs. You are right however, you have to let the partnership/confidence build and grow together.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We were still ****ed last season.

This is not against you personally, but there seems a general consensus on this board that the club, the team and the manager get a pass for last season.
    I think they should have invested more but I think they do get a slight pass. But I had considered we'd invested in players who could get us back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Let's be honest, there was no real effort to sign players that would have kept us in the Premier League and the signings for this season show an equal lack of ambition. Tan has gone from being profligate to doing things on the cheap - and it shows.
    Not completely sure Tan is behind all this.
    Warnock has spent some decent money in the last 2 years but his signings are usually over priced lower league players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's a real shame Pack got injured when he did yesterday, but doesn't it speak volumes about Warnock's transfer business this summer if the team's prospects hinge on the availability of a player who was apparently signed with only minutes of the transfer window remaining?

The defence at Reading looked absolutely woeful. Morrison appears to have got slower and the fact that he's already conceded two penalties in three games doesn't bode well. Meanwhile, Flint looks a real carthorse by Championship standards. You can see that pair being beaten for pace time and time again this season. Without Pack in front of them, you have to fear the worst.

The lack of creativity going forward yesterday was hardly a shock, but I was genuinely surprised by how poor the defence looked. If Reading had won 5-0 it wouldn't have flattered them. City didn't concede a single goal in the first three matches of the 2017/18 campaign. They've conceded seven already this season and it could easily have been a few more.
    Wasn't last season's team boosted by the very late signings of Camarasa and Arter, too?

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think they should have invested more but I think they do get a slight pass. But I had considered we'd invested in players who could get us back up.
    I think a lot of people gave them a pass because they came closer to avoiding the drop than the 13/14 side, but I apologise for mentioning this again, it's just that I feel it's very relevant - we are the only side to have spent more than one season in the Premier League with a 100 per cent relegation record. Staying up is difficult, but clubs like Bradford, Oldham and Blackpool managed it, so why couldn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think a lot of people gave them a pass because they came closer to avoiding the drop than the 13/14 side, but I apologise for mentioning this again, it's just that I feel it's very relevant - we are the only side to have spent more than one season in the Premier League with a 100 per cent relegation record. Staying up is difficult, but clubs like Bradford, Oldham and Blackpool managed it, so why couldn't we?
    Lack of investment, Bob.

StT.
    <><

Because we are awful in the transfer windows. I wonder if it's anything to do with not having proper football people behind the scenes? There's no philosophy at the club, never has been and i've been watching since 1982. There's so much wrong in my opinion. Why haven't we produced a championship level player since Ramsey? I don't include Ralls as he came to the club at 16, unless i'm forgetting someone-Please don't mention Declan John!

If Sala hadn't boarded the plane, I think we would have stayed up, it's not just the loss of the player and his goals, it's the whole tragedy, it took a lot out of warnock, he will probably never get back to his 100% best!

We have been extreamly unlucky!

Immediate relegation also means the club only gets two Premier League parachute payments instead of three. I didn't know that until yesterday, when it was mentioned in commentary.

Blackpool were relegated after their only season in the Premier League. Bradford haven't played in the Premier League since 2001. Oldham haven't played in the Premier League since 1994. They are completely irrelevant comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Because we are awful in the transfer windows. I wonder if it's anything to do with not having proper football people behind the scenes? There's no philosophy at the club, never has been and i've been watching since 1982. There's so much wrong in my opinion. Why haven't we produced a championship level player since Ramsey? I don't include Ralls as he came to the club at 16, unless i'm forgetting someone-Please don't mention Declan John!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Blackpool were relegated after their only season in the Premier League. Bradford haven't played in the Premier League since 2001. Oldham haven't played in the Premier League since 1994. They are completely irrelevant comparisons.
    They stayed up. Which was the point. So it is relevant.

If you want more recent examples then clubs like Burnley, Brighton, Watford, Swansea.etc.etc.etc

Rubbish, they were all in the Premier League and survived for a season. In fact everyone who has played more than one season in the League have survived for at least one of them bar us - that's not me being cowardly, that's not me being disloyal, that's me simply stating a fact.

Someone on my blog used the word "grateful" yesterday to describe the attitude of manager and some of those at the top of the club towards Premier League football last season - I've been using the term "plucky little Cardiff City" to describe the sentiment that the object of the exercise had been achieved in getting to the top flight and anything else was a bonus, but the effect is the same. We went down because, for the first two or three months of last season, the message coming out of Cardiff City Stadium was that it would be a miracle if we stayed up (e.g. our manager continually saying it would be the biggest achievement of his career if he kept us up) - by the time we realised that this was not the case, Brighton had got too far in front of us.

Rubbish, they were all in the Premier League and survived for a season.
    I'm pretty sure Blackpool only had one season in the Premier League.

Rubbish, they were all in the Premier League and survived for a season. In fact everyone who has played more than one season in the League have survived for at least one of them bar us - that's not me being cowardly, that's not me being disloyal, that's me simply stating a fact.

Someone on my blog used the word "grateful" yesterday to describe the attitude of manager and some of those at the top of the club towards Premier League football last season - I've been using the term "plucky little Cardiff City" to describe the sentiment that the object of the exercise had been achieved in getting to the top flight and anything else was a bonus, but the effect is the same. We went down because, for the first two or three months of last season, the message coming out of Cardiff City Stadium was that it would be a miracle if we stayed up (e.g. our manager continually saying it would be the biggest achievement of his career if he kept us up) - by the time we realised that this was not the case, Brighton had got too far in front of us.
    Bob, Blackpool only lasted one season under Holloway.
    I agree to some extent that our very bad start to the season probably cost us but we did manage to haul ourselves out of the bottom 3 at various points. A combination of bad referring decisions and injuries to key players probably cost us our Premier place.

I think it's a somewhat tenuous argument, but the 'plucky little Cardiff' stuff is truly a mis-placed sentiment. A new stadium with an attendaces averaging over 30,000, a capital City voted frequently one the best places to live, and a billionaire owner. If you were looking for the criteria for success then we have it, except of course when it comes down to what really, really matters - the key personnel - manager/ owners etc, and following on from that the players. At the moment we're all fur coat and no knickers...

Blackpool had one season in the prem but they gave it a damn good go compared to our two seasons.

They had 39 points (40 points stayed up) and scored 55 goals, earning a lot of plaudits along the way I seem to recall.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    If you want more recent examples then clubs like Burnley, Brighton, Watford, Swansea.etc.etc.etc
    Yes, those are worthwhile comparisons.

We didn't get relegated because of the 'message' coming out of Cardiff City Stadium. We got relegated because we had the weakest squad in the division, which is because our player recruitment, apart from a brief period soon after Neil Warnock was appointed, has been shambolic ever since Vincent Tan fell out with Malky Mackay and Iain Moody.

We didn't get relegated because of the 'message' coming out of Cardiff City Stadium. We got relegated because we had the weakest squad in the division, which is because our player recruitment, apart from a brief period soon after Neil Warnock was appointed, has been shambolic ever since Vincent Tan fell out with Malky Mackay and Iain Moody.
    The transfer committee consists of 4 people 3 of which, in my view, know very little about football. Those 3 probably determine the net budget with VT having the final say but who to sign will be down to one person only. If recruitment is shambolic, and there is no doubt that poor and expensive decisions have been made, then it is only down to one person.