Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Rubbish, they were all in the Premier League and survived for a season. In fact everyone who has played more than one season in the League have survived for at least one of them bar us - that's not me being cowardly, that's not me being disloyal, that's me simply stating a fact.

Someone on my blog used the word "grateful" yesterday to describe the attitude of manager and some of those at the top of the club towards Premier League football last season - I've been using the term "plucky little Cardiff City" to describe the sentiment that the object of the exercise had been achieved in getting to the top flight and anything else was a bonus, but the effect is the same. We went down because, for the first two or three months of last season, the message coming out of Cardiff City Stadium was that it would be a miracle if we stayed up (e.g. our manager continually saying it would be the biggest achievement of his career if he kept us up) - by the time we realised that this was not the case, Brighton had got too far in front of us.
I think it's a somewhat tenuous argument, but the 'plucky little Cardiff' stuff is truly a mis-placed sentiment. A new stadium with an attendaces averaging over 30,000, a capital City voted frequently one the best places to live, and a billionaire owner. If you were looking for the criteria for success then we have it, except of course when it comes down to what really, really matters - the key personnel - manager/ owners etc, and following on from that the players. At the moment we're all fur coat and no knickers...