+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn

Honestly think City could do worse than having a serious look at this lad sooner rather than later.

He fosters a team spirit and has shown he can mix it with the big boys with lesser players in his squad.

Warnock carries on like it is and we could be playing County next season if we don't sort it soon.

Re: Michael Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Honestly think City could do worse than having a serious look at this lad sooner rather than later.

He fosters a team spirit and has shown he can mix it with the big boys with lesser players in his squad.

Warnock carries on like it is and we could be playing County next season if we don't sort it soon.
    Isn't that a bit like Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Isn't that a bit like Warnock?
    That's what I mean.

Transitionally I think it would work in that respect.

Yea we aren't replacing Warnock after three matches. Even then, is Michael flynn really what people want to see. Given all the total football geniuses we now have on here I'd have thought the next man would need to be from the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    That's what I mean.

Transitionally I think it would work in that respect.
    But would he move us on to where we (the fans) would like us to be i.e away from this outdated style of football? I really can't say I have followed Michael Flynn's career much, so I don't know what his brand of football is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yea we aren't replacing Warnock after three matches. Even then, is Michael flynn really what people want to see. Given all the total football geniuses we now have on here I'd have thought the next man would need to be from the continent.
    Who do you suggest would be good to take over and realistic?

It isn't hard but Flynn has his team play a lot more football than Warnock does.

I don't know who these total football geniuses are that you refer to, however, can you blame people for wanting something different to what we're getting?

Only on ccmb could people asking for possession not to be given away easily and some chances to be created be snobbishly referred to as "total football geniuses"

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Only on ccmb could people asking for possession not to be given away easily and some chances to be created be snobbishly referred to as "total football geniuses"
    Oh come on if we were winning people put up with the football. If we were in the PL people put up with it. 2 defeats from 3 and Warnock hasn't a clue, football has moved on so much since we were last here.

It's just a shame people can't appreciate what we have when we have it. These are far from the darkest days and when he leaves he will be remembered fondly, with time people will realise even more so.

But yea at the moment we have lost twice away, Warnock is shit, a dinosaur. Replacing him with flynn has trollope and slade written all over it.

People need not fear anyway, behind the scenes they should be looking for his replacement as he will be going. I don't hold out much hope for who they replace him with, I think we were extremely lucky that he was available when he was.

Oh come on if we were winning people put up with the football. If we were in the PL people put up with it. 2 defeats from 3 and Warnock hasn't a clue, football has moved on so much since we were last here.
    And that's the problem with this style of football, once you aren't winning there is zero to enjoy.

Just because it's been worse before doesn't mean we can't highlight the obvious weaknesses with this squad and the style of football they play.

We are getting left behind in this league, and it isn't just Warnock it's the whole club from top to bottom.

It's just a shame people can't appreciate what we have when we have it. These are far from the darkest days and when he leaves he will be remembered fondly, with time people will realise even more so.

But yea at the moment we have lost twice away, Warnock is shit, a dinosaur. Replacing him with flynn has trollope and slade written all over it.

People need not fear anyway, behind the scenes they should be looking for his replacement as he will be going. I don't hold out much hope for who they replace him with, I think we were extremely lucky that he was available when he was.
    You use the words "put up with" and, speaking for myself, they go right to the heart of the issue. I put up with the football we have played virtually non stop for five years when we are winning because I'm a Cardiff City fan and I want to see us challenging at the top of tables and getting promotion, but I don't like the way we play, never have done and never will and so I reserve the right to be critical when it isn't producing wins or promotion challenges - you may think that's fickle of me, I just think it's being truthful.

At the moment, we're nineteenth in the Championship, when Paul Trollope was sacked we were twenty third, so, for now at least, all of the money Neil Warnock has spent in the transfer market (more than any other City manager with the possible exception of Malky Mackay) has got us four places up the table. The promotion of two years ago was great and and our manager was given plenty of praise for it, but it was offset completely by our relegation last season.

Our manager gets credit from some supporters who seem to revel in the "plucky little Cardiff" identity which was used constantly last season and yet the truth of the matter is that we had the eleventh biggest attendances in the Premier League last season, we have parachute payments for a couple of years and nearly twenty thousand season ticket holders - we should be moving on from playing the underdog football that Warnockball essentially is.

So many who defend Neil Warnock talk as if football is divided into two basic ways of playing these days - tiki taka or the old fashioned, blood and guts, long ball approach of which we are probably the leading exponents in the top two divisions at least. Of course, the truth is that very, very few sides play in these ways - they play in a way which is somewhere in between the two extremes.

I won't speak for others, but that is all I want from City - a bit more of a balance between the two. That is why I think Mike Flynn may be a good choice to handle any transition in playing style because he has shown that he has an understanding of the Warnock approach and I think whoever takes over from him will have to introduce any changes of style gradually.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You use the words "put up with" and, speaking for myself, they go right to the heart of the issue. I put up with the football we have played virtually non stop for five years when we are winning because I'm a Cardiff City fan and I want to see us challenging at the top of tables and getting promotion, but I don't like the way we play, never have done and never will and so I reserve the right to be critical when it isn't producing wins or promotion challenges - you may think that's fickle of me, I just think it's being truthful.

At the moment, we're nineteenth in the Championship, when Paul Trollope was sacked we were twenty third, so, for now at least, all of the money Neil Warnock has spent in the transfer market (more than any other City manager with the possible exception of Malky Mackay) has got us four places up the table. The promotion of two years ago was great and and our manager was given plenty of praise for it, but it was offset completely by our relegation last season.

Our manager gets credit from some supporters who seem to revel in the "plucky little Cardiff" identity which was used constantly last season and yet the truth of the matter is that we had the eleventh biggest attendances in the Premier League last season, we have parachute payments for a couple of years and nearly twenty thousand season ticket holders - we should be moving on from playing the underdog football that Warnockball essentially is.

So many who defend Neil Warnock talk as if football is divided into two basic ways of playing these days - tiki taka or the old fashioned, blood and guts, long ball approach of which we are probably the leading exponents in the top two divisions at least. Of course, the truth is that very, very few sides play in these ways - they play in a way which is somewhere in between the two extremes.

I won't speak for others, but that is all I want from City - a bit more of a balance between the two. That is why I think Mike Flynn may be a good choice to handle any transition in playing style because he has shown that he has an understanding of the Warnock approach and I think whoever takes over from him will have to introduce any changes of style gradually.
    Excellent post! Sums up just how I feel.

And me!
    Whilst I liked what Paul Trollope was trying to achieve, it seemed like too much too soon of a change.
    The world is grey, not black & white, after all...

End of the day we all essentially want the same thing. A successful team with the added bonus of us enjoying what we go to see.

For me I feel the guy deserves the season, we are in a far better position than when he took over, he was a massive factor in us getting an unexpected promotion. I'd let him have the season, even more so after the transfer window, this is his team and I can't imagine many getting more from them than him.

I just get annoyed by the negativity after 3 matches. The football isn't always impressive but I have been entertained a fair bit during his time here, I certainly think even within the framework he delivers that there is scope to play some good football at times, it just doesn't happen enough.

If we were going to get someone else in it should have been over the summer, allowed him the chance of another job somewhere else and given a new manager here time.

I don't see us struggling, we aren't going to run away with top 2 but we will be fine. We had a fair few poor performances last time in the championship but usually bounced back.

For those wanting a different approach, well it will come at the latest the end of the season, whether it's who you will be hoping for I have my doubts and am a bit worried about who we get in.

I agree with you Paul on almost all of this post apart from the last line about Mike Flynn. We are already signing players from League One and Two so let's leave it at that. There are far better managers out there than him. Flynn is a fourth tier manager and should stay there.

How about giving Sol Campbell a chance. Warnock has said he doesn't want to manage in the Premier again, I assume as a club we want to play in the Premier League, so if we have ambition we should be looking elsewhere.

I don't see us struggling, we aren't going to run away with top 2 but we will be fine.
    What's "fine" though. We were the best placed side of the 24 teams in this division last season, we were rightfully one of the pre-season favourites for promotion and we should be running away with the top 2. The last month has been catastrophic. The last 3 matches have probably collectively the worst 3 in a row under NW's reign.

"Fine" for me is a top 6 finish as an absolute minimum. In our 3 games so far we look like a bottom 6 side. We need Etheridge & Bamba back urgently plus a couple of free agents (this week).

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    What's "fine" though. We were the best placed side of the 24 teams in this division last season, we were rightfully one of the pre-season favourites for promotion and we should be running away with the top 2. The last month has been catastrophic. The last 3 matches have probably collectively the worst 3 in a row under NW's reign.

"Fine" for me is a top 6 finish as an absolute minimum. In our 3 games so far we look like a bottom 6 side. We need Etheridge & Bamba back urgently plus a couple of free agents (this week).
    That's exactly what I've been thinking about three agents. We are clearly so short in defence and midfield I am banking on Warnock to pull a rabbit out two out of the bag.

I'd agree top 6 should be minimum aim. Three games is hard to judge, in our promotion season didn't we have an awful run after Christmas, it can happen.

I don't agree we should definitely be top 2. I think Fulham, Leeds, West brom all have comparable squads, better in some areas. Then there are always a couple who go beyond expectations as we did 2 years ago.

It's always a problem with recruitment for me and that's been a problem long before Neil came in.

We're plucky little Cardiff though Des, the club with the built inferiority complex.

We're plucky little Cardiff though Des, the club with the built inferiority complex.
    Indeed Paul, an inferior club who have played 3 of the sides tipped for relegation, not sure what inferior to inferior is (Baldrick perhaps?) but pre-season a minimum expected haul from those 3 games would have been 7 points, possibly 9.

Who had the smallest budget last season in premier league, have a parachute payment this season and were according to our chairman having “learnt from last season’s transfer window and going to give it a real go “ And yet our squad looks even more unbalanced than last season !

Like you Paul, I thought Warnock was going to retire at end of last season and I thought that was probably best for him before it all turns sour , 3 games in and I still feel the same !

Never thought I would say this but I agree entirely.
    We need a complete change and need to be patient for a couple of seasons while this happens.
    A manager from Europe may be a good move.
    However, if Warnock is leading a team to sort out his replacement this will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Who had the smallest budget last season in premier league, have a parachute payment this season and were according to our chairman having “learnt from last season’s transfer window and going to give it a real go “ And yet our squad looks even more unbalanced than last season !

Like you Paul, I thought Warnock was going to retire at end of last season and I thought that was probably best for him before it all turns sour , 3 games in and I still feel the same !
    According to some on this board, you are being negative and our squad is better than the one that got promoted last time round.

It was ok to go down last season also because we’d bought players last summer with relegation in mind and would bounce straight back up.

It’s all under control. There is a process in place. A strategy. NW is still melding . Blah blah .