+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our defensive woes in perspective

Our defensive woes in perspective

2 away games, 6 conceded. Sounds crap. Throw into the mix that both Wigan and Reading missed penalties against us and those stats could have been even worse.

Had we conceded 4 in both games, which most would agree would have been merited, that would have equalled last season's Premier League team, which conceded 4 away from home twice. Last season's team only conceded 3 away from home on 3 occasions (Newcastle, West Ham and Watford). We're one 3 goal spanking away from emulating that.

We didn't concede any more than 2 goals away from home in our last 8 Premier League games. This included trips to Arsenal, Wolves, Man City and Arsenal. Now Wigan and Reading have both helped themselves to the fruits of our defence. Wigan have not scored in their 3 matches since beating us.

Last season we conceded 3 or more on 5 occasions away from home. Anyone reckon this season will be better than that? It's hard to see at the moment. Better team than the one that won promotion?

Re: Our defensive woes in perspective

We need Bamba back pdq. Flint is a massive liability. I'd drop him immediately and start Nelson at CH

Our midfield is so much worse than the one that won promotion. Grujic, Gunnarsson and even Bryson would vastly improve the current shambles

I'm not surprised when Warnock and the recruitment team have actively weakened the back line.

They lost a major bit of pace in Manga and replaced it with a fairly pedestrian (in comparison) Flint.
    If they sold Morrison and replaced him with Flint then I could understand it but we have two players who would head a medicine ball if it was thrown at them but are quite frankly not very good on the floor and get exposed time and again.

All of that is leaving aside the glaring gap at right back that has been there for several transfer windows but we seem to feel it fine to ignore the need for a competent right back to be signed and plugging the gaps with players like Bacuna who are not fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Our midfield is so much worse than the one that won promotion. Grujic, Gunnarsson and even Bryson would vastly improve the current shambles
    It is.

Sadly the ones being paid to see this seemingly cannot.

Going slightly off topic...

I watched the game on a Chinese website at home, naturally, the commentary was in Chinese. My wife passed by the TV and asked.. "Why did that man (commentator) just say Cardiff don't want to play?" (it would be a bit difficult for anyone to comprehend why one of the teams in a football match "didn't want to play") ...I just shrugged my shoulders and gave a sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Going slightly off topic...

I watched the game on a Chinese website at home, naturally, the commentary was in Chinese. My wife passed by the TV and asked.. "Why did that man (commentator) just say Cardiff don't want to play?" (it would be a bit difficult for anyone to comprehend why one of the teams in a football match "didn't want to play") ...I just shrugged my shoulders and gave a sigh.
    Did you marry her for her looks or her ability to learn foreign languages?

In 2017/18, City conceded 3 goals away from home just twice - the 3-0 defeat at Preston in September and the 3-1 reverse at Derby in April. They've already equalled that record.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Did you marry her for her looks or her ability to learn foreign languages?
    She's Chinese.

First post in about 4 years and it is to simply say we have categorically been figured out during our 12 months out of the league.

I am personally bored of Warnock's methods and tactics and the league has moved on. Recruitment in my opinion was poor and Vincent Tan has a lot to answer for in terms of what money has been made available.

Limited hope for this season in my opinion. I have a spread on us finishing 10th or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBee'sKnees View Post
    First post in about 4 years and it is to simply say we have categorically been figured out during our 12 months out of the league.

I am personally bored of Warnock's methods and tactics and the league has moved on. Recruitment in my opinion was poor and Vincent Tan has a lot to answer for in terms of what money has been made available.

Limited hope for this season in my opinion. I have a spread on us finishing 10th or lower.

It's going to be a long, old, season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    She's Chinese.
    Now it makes sense!

Personally I think Tan is the only person at the club without a lot to answer for. I think his pants may have been pulled down

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Personally I think Tan is the only person at the club without a lot to answer for. I think his pants may have been pulled down
    I agree with what you say. VT is providing the budget with Profit & Sustainability as the bottom line. There is a transfer committee of 4 only one of which (NW) knows football and also determines what he wants. I expect that our scouts are told the type of player to look for (and what not to look for). How are MD, KC or VT going to contradict NW in the acquisition of players if he is sticking within budget ? It seems to me that only one person can be held responsible for the players we acquire and also those we loan out/get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We need Bamba back pdq. Flint is a massive liability. I'd drop him immediately and start Nelson at CH
    I believe part of our central defence problem is Morrison.
    As club captain we keep ignoring his weekly mistakes, very slow play and conceding penalties.
    Not sure if either Flint are Morrison should be part of a future defence, particularly when Bamba returns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    In 2017/18, City conceded 3 goals away from home just twice - the 3-0 defeat at Preston in September and the 3-1 reverse at Derby in April. They've already equalled that record.
    Who says this side won't achieve anything?

100% agree! It's probably a collective issue but there's clearly no ambition at the club. With the strong tailwinds of parachute money and better than expected season ticket sales we should have performed much much better in the transfer market.

I'd bite your hand off for 10th place at the moment. I'm not even sure this squad could command 10th place in League One.

We offloaded Cunningham far too early. While he was not that great last season we have to take into account he was playing against far better opposition that you find in the Championship. Supposedly Cunningham is a very good Championship defender and can play centre half. I wonder if there is a recall option in the loan contract as I think we could do with him now as cover for Bennett and a possible replacement for the pedestrian Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    We offloaded Cunningham far too early. While he was not that great last season we have to take into account he was playing against far better opposition that you find in the Championship. Supposedly Cunningham is a very good Championship defender and can play centre half. I wonder if there is a recall option in the loan contract as I think we could do with him now as cover for Bennett and a possible replacement for the pedestrian Flint.
    I'd start him over Bennett if we could bring him back

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The transfers out as well as in are beyond perplexing. There's absolutely no pattern or pre-conceived plan - just a random, haphazard, and totally clueless mishmash..

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'd start him over Bennett if we could bring him back
    I doubt if Cunningham would want to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Bamba had ACL surgery at 34, I'll be surprised if comes back anywhere near the same player.