+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendez Laing

Mendez Laing

There were a lot of poor performances yesterday and NML was amongst the worst.
    He couldn't control the ball, he couldn't hold on to the ball and when he did have a chance to do something - he didn't.
    What is the point of playing him if he is not going to try to get past defenders?

Re: Mendez Laing

Great at kick & rush, moving in straight lines. Sadly, little end product. Yet another at the club who is woeful at passing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    There were a lot of poor performances yesterday and NML was amongst the worst.
    He couldn't control the ball, he couldn't hold on to the ball and when he did have a chance to do something - he didn't.
    What is the point of playing him if he is not going to try to get past defenders?
    Old Mendez. There's a fundamental problem with him, he doesn't even know what he's going to do with the ball. I've actually seen him leave the ball behind and run it into touch. When it works it's brilliant, more often than not it doesn't. He needs three touches to set himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Great at kick & rush, moving in straight lines. Sadly, little end product. Yet another at the club who is woeful at passing.
    No first touch either, luckily he's quick so he can catch up to it

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Old Mendez. There's a fundamental problem with him, he doesn't even know what he's going to do with the ball. I've actually seen him leave the ball behind and run it into touch. When it works it's brilliant, more often than not it doesn't. He needs three touches to set himself.
    On his day, he's unplayable and is the best winger in the league. When he's off it, which is more often, my God he's bad. He hasn't got the technique or skill to play within himself, so he's very all or nothing. He's probably got to play but the bad is so bad.

To me Mendez-Laing should be a striker, he doesnt do enough to play on the wing and leaves the full back so exposed at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    To me Mendez-Laing should be a striker, he doesnt do enough to play on the wing and leaves the full back so exposed at times.
    I would pay good money to watch Mendez Laing play up front on his own, trying to hold the ball up and bring others into play. It'd be footballs version of Pin Ball. The only way the ball would stick is if we wrapped him in velcro and played the game with a tennis ball from Hyper Value.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    NML needs to pick the ball up deep and run at people, and he needs that space to get the ball under.

He was injured for the majority of the second half but agree first half wasn't great from him like the rest of our midfield.

Should never have been on the pitch, still carrying an injury. Brought back too soon, could be out for a month now. Picking an injured player before Murphy shows what confidence he has. To be honest he should have come off instead of creating more damage to the injury.

NML like Junior Hoillett are both good on their day.
    Unfortunately their good days are far outweighed by their bad days.
    Yesterday they were both very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Unfortunately like a lot of our players “their best days are long gone”

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Agree, but I'd still take either ahead of Murphy who has no football brain that I can see. Can't see where the space is and has no end product.

Whyte has to be given a chance now.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Unfortunately like a lot of our players “their best days are long gone”
    I was saying something similar lst season when some people were saying that alot of our players will slip into the chmpionship with ease, afterall, we were runners up the season before, it was the natural order of things. Not so in my opinion, sport doesn't work like the average workplace. In theory, most of those players have peaked, it isn't going to get any better for Peltier, Morrisson, Ralls, Bennett, Patterson,Bamba Hoilett,Ward etc or any of the other original promotion line up, Etheridge-probably-Murphy-Maybe. So om that basis we only really have one player from the original promotion aquad tht is on the up, and one debatable, the others have peaked and are on there way back down. It doesn't matter what level a player is at, if he's not getting better or sustaining a level of performance then the tem will not prosper.

The only way to offset a decline in player performance is to add players who are performing or who are on the upward spiral. I'll let others decide if that's wht Warnock hs done.

Ralls is only 25. He has some improvement left in him. Paterson's 24, but I've never really worked him out. I'd say the rest have probably peaked, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ralls is only 25. He has some improvement left in him. Paterson's 24, but I've never really worked him out. I'd say the rest have probably peaked, though.
    I can't see where Ralls can improve,He's played nearly 250 first class games already, if he is going to become a better player then he needs to get a shift on. Paterson actually looked a better player initially, seems that any natural ability he possessed has been rinsed out of him.

Mendez-Laing looked injured and not over his recent absence. If he wasn't over it why was he picked when we had Whyte and Murphy to chose from. Also Paterson still looks out of sorts, so why bring him on? Warnock had to use one sub to cover for Pack's injury and then used up the next two at half time. We now have Etheridge, Bamba and Pack out injured and it looks like ML and Paterson are not fit. Add Jazz Richards to the list too and the squad has no cover in most positions except goalkeeper and striker. Oh and Peltier is out too.

I'll be interesting to see who Neil picks on Wednesday, the thought of Bacuna trying to play in midfield should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Mendez-Laing looked injured and not over his recent absence. If he wasn't over it why was he picked when we had Whyte and Murphy to chose from. Also Paterson still looks out of sorts, so why bring him on? Warnock had to use one sub to cover for Pack's injury and then used up the next two at half time. We now have Etheridge, Bamba and Pack out injured and it looks like ML and Paterson are not fit. Add Jazz Richards to the list too and the squad has no cover in most positions except goalkeeper and striker. Oh and Peltier is out too.

I'll be interesting to see who Neil picks on Wednesday, the thought of Bacuna trying to play in midfield should be interesting.
    Murphy probably "hasn't been doing well in training".

I've got a new tactic, I don't know why any of them hadn't thought of it, but why doesn't one of the wingers or full backs cross the ball in just infront of the six foot six striker, and then he could head the ball into the net?

Genius yes?

I can't see where Ralls can improve,He's played nearly 250 first class games already, if he is going to become a better player then he needs to get a shift on.
    I think he could improve with better coaching, some better players around him in midfield and perhaps playing in different systems. It won't happen while Warnock's his boss, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think he could improve with better coaching, some better players around him in midfield and perhaps playing in different systems. It won't happen while Warnock's his boss, though.
    That's a fair shout and something to consider. Maybe the same could apply to one or two others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    I've got a new tactic, I don't know why any of them hadn't thought of it, but why doesn't one of the wingers or full backs cross the ball in just infront of the six foot six striker, and then he could head the ball into the net?

Genius yes?
    That would require wingers who can cross the ball accurately

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That would require wingers who can cross the ball accurately
    Harris was our best crosser of the ball.

Harris was our best crosser of the ball.
    If that's not an indictment on the rest of them, I don't know what is.