+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge improvement tonight

Re: Huge improvement tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Shocking start to the season for Cardiff. You are well off the play off pace....by two points.
    It’s a slog of a season. You will be there or thereabouts and I’m hoping we might be too.
    There has been a bit of a knee jerk reaction on here which surprised me. It’s still August

Looking at the starts to the season Fulham do look very strong. Their squad is impressive. In this very early stage they look the team to beat.
    But this is the championship. They’ll probably be relegated and Luton will probably win it with 100 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The late winner doesn't disguise the fact that our style of football is of a bygone age and that the standard of passing in the team is absolutely woeful. Hoofing the ball up front is the preferred option for our keeper and defenders. And our finishing is not exactly impressive either.
    I agree with this. It was a definite improvement from Sunday but the fact that we had someone with a bit of guile and thought about him in the middle of the park was a huge factor.

It begs the question of why Warnock thinks Patterson is the answer there.

There were still huge gaps in our midfield and at times Huddersfield played around us and through us with ease.

They were powder puff in the final third and we definitely looked the team more likely to win on the night.

Murphy has his critics but he causes problems and wins loads of free kicks.

It pains me watching all the big men trundle up into the box for every set piece! It can be effective when it works but as we seen last season this brand of football will only take us so far.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree with this. It was a definite improvement from Sunday but the fact that we had someone with a bit of guile and thought about him in the middle of the park was a huge factor.

It begs the question of why Warnock thinks Patterson is the answer there.

There were still huge gaps in our midfield and at times Huddersfield played around us and through us with ease.

They were powder puff in the final third and we definitely looked the team more likely to win on the night.

Murphy has his critics but he causes problems and wins loads of free kicks.

It pains me watching all the big men trundle up into the box for every set piece! It can be effective when it works but as we seen last season this brand of football will only take us so far.
    This brand of football will get us promoted like it did just over a year ago. It's because we play this way that made and will make us difficult opponents.

We are averaging 17. Yes 17 shots per gane 5 on target.
    It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The late winner doesn't disguise the fact that our style of football is of a bygone age and that the standard of passing in the team is absolutely woeful. Hoofing the ball up front is the preferred option for our keeper and defenders. And our finishing is not exactly impressive either.
    Didn't think we hoofed as much last night. From the keeper we aren't going to play it out and that's fine by me as we don't really have the squad for it. It's a balance though, Huddersfield persisted with trying it and got caught so many times. Actually made me annoyed and pleased to see them keep doing it. Huddersfield fans must have been so pissed off with it.

5 yard pass to cb, pass back to keeper, closed down so hoofs it to half way where we win it. For what? All under the misguided thought process that they are playing out from the back.

They would have been better off hoofing it more and using some of the pace they did have by being more direct.

You saw how ineffective it was last season. We never scored (or ever really looked like scoring apart from Bamba's offside goal against Brighton.

Our tactics are stale and the introduction of Tomlin last night was evidence of that.

Huddersfield are probably the one club currently with less confidence than us at present.

We can get results by bullying teams and squeezing the life out of them at this level but as you go higher it just doesn't work. A perfect illustration of this is how we tried to play Patterson out wide and hoped that he'd murder Danny Rose if we keep playing high diagonal balls to him, yet he never won one header!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Didn't think we hoofed as much last night. From the keeper we aren't going to play it out and that's fine by me as we don't really have the squad for it. It's a balance though, Huddersfield persisted with trying it and got caught so many times. Actually made me annoyed and pleased to see them keep doing it. Huddersfield fans must have been so pissed off with it.

5 yard pass to cb, pass back to keeper, closed down so hoofs it to half way where we win it. For what? All under the misguided thought process that they are playing out from the back.

They would have been better off hoofing it more and using some of the pace they did have by being more direct.
    It's not a misguided process at all. If the keeper just launched it straightaway then how were they gonna compete aerially against the land of the giants?

They tried to draw us out to create more space in the middle of the park for them to exploit. Sometimes they got in trouble but it often did open up huge holes in our midfield line. A better team like Fulham would have exploited it.

It's not a misguided process at all. If the keeper just launched it straightaway then how were they gonna compete aerially against the land of the giants?

They tried to draw us out to create more space in the middle of the park for them to exploit. Sometimes they got in trouble but it often did open up huge holes in our midfield line. A better team like Fulham would have exploited it.
    That was their aim but it was extremely low percentage in it coming off as they weren't good enough. If you aren't good enough then there is little point, certainly when it hasn't worked for 60 minutes. A more clinical team would have done far more with the easy possession they gifted us high up the pitch.

The point is whether they hoofed it straight from the keeper or they passed two or three times before being closed down in and around the box they still hoofed it.

That was their aim but it was extremely low percentage in it coming off as they weren't good enough. If you aren't good enough then there is little point. I more clinical team would have done far more with easy possession they gifted us high up the pitch.

The point is whether they hoofed it from keeper or they passed two or three times before bring closed down on and around the box they still hoofed it.
    I don't think it's the point though. If you watch a next time does this, the aim is to draw 3 or 4 of our players out to press the ball. Their invention and quality on the ball from there on will dictate how successful they are but there is definitely method in why the do it.

For example if they manage to draw 4 of our players to go after the ball, especially with the new goal kick rule then the keeper hoofs it straight towards Morrison and Flint then the likelihood is that their defensive midfielders are more likely to collect the second ball unchallenged.

I don't think it's the point though. If you watch a next time does this, the aim is to draw 3 or 4 of our players out to press the ball. Their invention and quality on the ball from there on will dictate how successful they are but there is definitely method in why the do it.

For example if they manage to draw 4 of our players to go after the ball, especially with the new goal kick rule then the keeper hoofs it straight towards Morrison and Flint then the likelihood is that their defensive midfielders are more likely to collect the second ball unchallenged.
    I'm not disagreeing with the method and reason but they didn't have the quality to do it. Last night we were gifted quality ball, able to run straight at the defence far more than they were able to get the ball to someone in midfield.

Perhaps if they didn't do it every time it may have been more successful for them.

When the better teams do it we probably won't pressure so high.

I'm not disagreeing with the method and reason but they didn't have the quality to do it. Last night we were gifted quality ball, able to run straight at the defence far more than they were able to get the ball to someone in midfield.

Perhaps if they didn't do it every time it may have been more successful for them.

When the better teams do it we probably won't pressure so high.
    We won’t pressure that high against Fulham, as they will pick us off, Huddersfield just lacked the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Some very hard working players even toward the end.
    I thought we had blown it until that bit of luck. We have had so little good fortune for a long time.
    I think our team is starting to take shape.

Pleased for Lee particularly.

On to Ewood.
    Mainly because “OUR NEIL” took my advice and told the players to stop pussyfooting around and have a go.

Plus, he also obeyed my request to use Hoilett as an IMPACT PLAYER and not as a 90 minute player, which he ain’t

This football manager malarkey is a doddle

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I don’t think it’s our preferred option for our keeper, I actually think he’s very good at distributing the ball from his feet and hands, and I think he would like get the ball away quicker. It’s just our general tactic.
    In other words, the preferred option