+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithies

Smithies

Not sure if I’m being too harsh but I thought Smithies could have saved Chalobah’s shot tonight. Admittedly the defenders didn’t help by standing off but the shot didn’t appear to be struck that hard. I’m thinking Etheridge would have pushed that round the post but maybe that’s being over critical?

We need Etheridge back in the side as quickly as possible

Re: Smithies

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Not sure if I’m being too harsh but I thought Smithies could have saved Chalobah’s shot tonight. Admittedly the defenders didn’t help by standing off but the shot didn’t appear to be struck that hard. I’m thinking Etheridge would have pushed that round the post but maybe that’s being over critical?

I know what you mean. It didn't look like much of a shot at the time, a sort of 'how did that go in' shot, but I'd like to see a replay before judging Smithies

I’ve seen enough of Smithies already. Not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I’ve seen enough of Smithies already. Not impressed.
    This

He should have saved the Chalobah goal. His distribution was OK but he just doesn't install confidence.

I thought Smithies should have saved their goal at the ground, but having now seen it on video, I think I was wrong. If that is the case, then I don't see what more he could have done tonight, he made a few good saves and his distribution was an improvement on Etheridge's.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
    smithies is the worst keeper weve had for years
    With better distribution than Etheridge... and a player who has hardly played for 12 months so needs to get back into a grove. I agree Etheridge has been better, and against Reading I thought Smithies was awful... but right now I think he looks worse as he is playing in front of a woeful flatfooted, last ditch, too stand off defence

Yes, he should have saved it.

The quicker Etheridge is back the better.

I'd go with Joe day until then.

The best ball distributing keeper that we have. A quick throw to Murphy (or was it Ralls?) in the first half was something we haven't seen from a Cardiff goalkeeper in quite some time. I wasn't impressed with him on Sunday and I thought he might have done better for the goal last night.

I thought he did well

He's a proven Championship keeper and I'm happy he stayed to fill Etheridge's spot during his timeout. However, Etheridge will be a big boost when he comes back.

I was directly behind the shot when it went in and thought it was a good strike right in the corner.
    Give the keeper some slack it was just a good goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

Agreed he almost cost us 2 points, a top keeper and a top Striker are the key players in any team they both are worth extra points a season, Etheridge is a massive loss!

We're just spoilt with Etheridge. Could be worse at least we don't have Jack Butland

Thought he may have saved it but think he was slightly unsighted. Wasn't the most powerful of shots. Everything else I thought he dealt with well. Closed angle down well in last minute. Commanded area well, one quick throw from a corner had us on the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Thought he may have saved it but think he was slightly unsighted. Wasn't the most powerful of shots. Everything else I thought he dealt with well. Closed angle down well in last minute. Commanded area well, one quick throw from a corner had us on the attack.
    Made a good save low down in the 1st half as well.

I thought that Smithies could have done better with Reading's first goal last Sunday.

Smithies was good. The goal was clever and caught me out watching it.

Interestingly I thought the Liverpool loanee at the other end had a great game. I think he will be a premiership keeper fixture before very long.
    Must look his name up.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Smithies was good. The goal was clever and caught me out watching it.

Interestingly I thought the Liverpool loanee at the other end had a great game. I think he will be a premiership keeper fixture before very long.
    Must look his name up.
    He made a couple of excellent saves. Need to bear that in mind when assessing the game. There was plenty of wayward shooting but without that keeper last night we'd have won at a canter, however poorly we were playing.

Contrary to what is stated above Smithies is not the worst 'keeper we've had in years. Only 3 years ago we used 6 goalkeepers on one season - Marshall who was sold, Moore who was sold, Wilson, Amos, Murphy and McGregor. After the first two were sold Wilson wasn't good enough, Amos was not very good , then Murphy who was only ever a back up came in, then McGregor who's was good. We\ve been very fortunate to have signed Etheridge who has only missed one League game up until he got injured recently.

I think Smithies is fine, he needs a bit of regular football to get back in to things and he's much better than Day. £4m vs Free.

Surely if the defence let the opposition’s best player run 15 years unopposed and leave him with a free shot on goal, they are the most culpable?

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    This

He should have saved the Chalobah goal. His distribution was OK but he just doesn't install confidence.
    My thoughts exactly

Thought he was waving to his Aunt in the stand for Readings first goal , which changed the whole complexion of the afternoon .
    Didnt think he was that clever last night either for their goal
    Good distribution last night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Surely if the defence let the opposition’s best player run 15 years unopposed and leave him with a free shot on goal, they are the most culpable?
    You should then have one final chance to stop the ball going into the net with a decent keeper .

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Long time to run with a ball

I thought he might have done better, but I was more annoyed at how we gave the ball away first, then allowed the scorer to turn and take several touches before shooting

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Contrary to what is stated above Smithies is not the worst 'keeper we've had in years. Only 3 years ago we used 6 goalkeepers on one season - Marshall who was sold, Moore who was sold, Wilson, Amos, Murphy and McGregor. After the first two were sold Wilson wasn't good enough, Amos was not very good , then Murphy who was only ever a back up came in, then McGregor who's was good. We\ve been very fortunate to have signed Etheridge who has only missed one League game up until he got injured recently.

I think Smithies is fine, he needs a bit of regular football to get back in to things and he's much better than Day. £4m vs Free.
    Totally agree , the goal came from dreadful marking, and challenges .

Keeper did fine in my eyes , reminds me of Heaton and Healey in stature.