+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smithies

Re: Smithies

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Yes, he should have saved it.

The quicker Etheridge is back the better.

I'd go with Joe day until then.
    The fella that was flat footed against Wigan and had terrible positioning for both goals? Ok.

I've seen Etheridge being flat footed with shots he could have saved. It's clear that he is unable to play short passes to defenders and that Smithies distribution is streets better. Smithies was more commanding in his own box on Tuesday than he has been previously. Another month in goal will teach everyone a lot. Bonding with the team, better chance to evaluate under match conditions, which he hasn't had for 2 seasons etc.
    Last edited by Eric the Half a Bee; 22-08-19 at 23:25. Reason: pressed wrong button accidentally on bastard phone when typing

Smithies is a pretty good goalkeeper who also made a couple of good saves and saved a penalty in the same game.
    That goal was just unfortunate because Morrison was doing exactly the right thing and would have thought that he'd pushed him too wide for a shot , ( which he pretty much had) . The goalkeeper was unsighted because of the defenders in front on him and the attacking player happened to hit it just right to beat him in the bottom corner - six inches either way and there'd have been no goal.

These things happen sometimes and you can't really defend against them, but there were no mistakes to pull anyone up on.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Contrary to what is stated above Smithies is not the worst 'keeper we've had in years. Only 3 years ago we used 6 goalkeepers on one season - Marshall who was sold, Moore who was sold, Wilson, Amos, Murphy and McGregor. After the first two were sold Wilson wasn't good enough, Amos was not very good , then Murphy who was only ever a back up came in, then McGregor who's was good. We\ve been very fortunate to have signed Etheridge who has only missed one League game up until he got injured recently

I think Smithies is fine, he needs a bit of regular football to get back in to things and he's much better than Day. £4m vs Free.
    In my view a fair and accurate summary