+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want as our next manager?

Re: Who do you want as our next manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Imagine watching sides like Leeds and Swansea and thinking yeah we should hire Pulis. He set up negatively against Newport County ffs
    You can imagine the discussion in the boardroom

"Who should replace Neil, Mehmet?"
    "Well there's this bloke who's slightly younger, plays even worse football and has seen football completely pass him by tactically over the past few years"
    "Five year contract it is then!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You are aware that he said himself he will leave at the end of this season, yes?

So, based on that, why wouldn't we discuss who we'd like as our next manager on a football message board?
    I was referring to the names suggested to replace Warnock. In fact, although Warnock has said he is going to leave, I don't think for a minute he meant it. He has form for saying he has had plans to leave football but never does.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Answered your own question
    This was 1991/92 Not much has changed.

You can imagine the discussion in the boardroom

"Who should replace Neil, Mehmet?"
    "Well there's this bloke who's slightly younger, plays even worse football and has seen football completely pass him by tactically over the past few years"
    "Five year contract it is then!"
    You may joke but it wouldn't surprise me if we're stuck with Pulis or a tag team of Jepson/Blackwell. Especially with Neil having input on who his successor is. Grim stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    You may joke but it wouldn't surprise me if we're stuck with Pulis or a tag team of Jepson/Blackwell. Especially with Neil having input on who his successor is. Grim stuff
    I was only half joking unfortunately, I can see that happening

I was only half joking unfortunately, I can see that happening
    I don’t even know who would be in that discussion. If it’s Tan, Mehmet and Warnock you can forget anything too imaginative I’d say, maybe that’s being unfair. Probably English (maybe Welsh/Irish/Scotch). Probably one of the boys. Probably someone with a little experience. A decent character.

Hughton

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I don’t even know who would be in that discussion. If it’s Tan, Mehmet and Warnock you can forget anything too imaginative I’d say, maybe that’s being unfair. Probably English (maybe Welsh/Irish/Scotch). Probably one of the boys. Probably someone with a little experience. A decent character.

Hughton
    A shortlist of: "Blackie", "Jeppo", Hughton, Pulis, Sherwood, Pardew, Holloway and maybe Moyes/Allardyce

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'd go for Nathan Jones, He did alot of very good work at Luton, I don't think Stoke are right for him. He's also from the area, did his time with City and can't quite work out why he wasn't given a Pro contract as he could play, i think he went over to Spain with Colin Addison for a bit.
    I’m not knocking him but Stoke have won 3 games since he joined them in in January. How long do you allow for somebody to show signs that they’re making progress on a plan? And if Stoke just aren’t right for him what if we aren’t too?

Alf Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I’m not knocking him but Stoke have won 3 games since he joined them in in January. How long do you allow for somebody to show signs that they’re making progress on a plan? And if Stoke just aren’t right for him what if we aren’t too?
    What if he goes to Millwall (for example) and takes them to the play offs. Most great managers have had a bad season....Warnock included. From what I’ve heard (one sentence by a luton following pundit on the monday night club) when he was in charge of Luton they looked very, very good.

Also, Stoke weren’t exactly pulling up trees before he got there. It might just be that they are one of those disillusioned teams that are impossible to motivate, regardless of the managers skills.

I’d give him a shot at it......that said, he’s about playing football and passing so I don’t know how many of our current crop would be up to the job.

I’d say it’s the club and not the manager in the case of stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Warnock has done great, but the style of play is horrible. I just hope we get a progressive manager next who likes to play with the ball on the ground.

Any suggestions? Would have took Mark Warburton you know..

If Neil goes as he has said he will then I guess there will be four scenarios.
    1) Promotion achieved
    2) Promotion almost achieved.
    3) Mediocrity
    4) A poor season.

In terms of 3 & 4 a new manager could arrive mid season and therefore have a different set of issues to deal with than 1&2 at the end of season.

Whoever takes over should be a longer term appointment, will undoubtedly want to bring in his own players and his own style of play.

The key question is whether there is a future for the low possession style of play and whether it can be successful and how adaptable our current players are to that style.

Sol Bamba

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sol Bamba
    Neil’s man.

Reckon he puts him forward before the other pair.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sol Bamba
    He's a nice guy and a committed player - but I'm not sure what leads anyone to believe he'd be a successful manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    What if he goes to Millwall (for example) and takes them to the play offs. Most great managers have had a bad season....Warnock included. From what I’ve heard (one sentence by a luton following pundit on the monday night club) when he was in charge of Luton they looked very, very good.

Also, Stoke weren’t exactly pulling up trees before he got there. It might just be that they are one of those disillusioned teams that are impossible to motivate, regardless of the managers skills.

I’d give him a shot at it......that said, he’s about playing football and passing so I don’t know how many of our current crop would be up to the job.
    Maybe he will, perhaps he won't. I'm not actually picking on him as you're right things might click at Stoke yet, or if not at his next club.

It just seems that sometimes it's felt like the choice for this season has been presented as between Warnock and a young, progressive manager to get us moving forward on a 5-year plan who is waiting in the wings. Whereas in this case it's between Warnock and a manager with a very poor record to date at this level who is in danger of not being able to survive anywhere near 1 year, let alone embark on a plan for 5. So I think it highlights the more perilous nature of these decisions that make things less clear cut when you start putting actual names to replacements, rather than wax lyrical with manager job descriptions.

Anyway, as a young Welsh manager I wish him well wherever he ends up this season.

Very Ambitious: Roberto Martinez, Rudi Garcia, Vito Pereira, Mitchell van der Gaag

Ambitious: Adrie Koster, Austrian fella when Southampton sack him, Mystery young European with recent success and potential.

Less Ambitious: Lee Bowyer, Paul Tisdale, Neil Lennon, Jones guy everyone’s creaming about despite looking like relegating Stoke.. Mystery young League One with recent success and potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Maybe he will, perhaps he won't. I'm not actually picking on him as you're right things might click at Stoke yet, or if not at his next club.

It just seems that sometimes it's felt like the choice for this season has been presented as between Warnock and a young, progressive manager to get us moving forward on a 5-year plan who is waiting in the wings. Whereas in this case it's between Warnock and a manager with a very poor record to date at this level who is in danger of not being able to survive anywhere near 1 year, let alone embark on a plan for 5. So I think it highlights the more perilous nature of these decisions that make things less clear cut when you start putting actual names to replacements, rather than wax lyrical with manager job descriptions.

Anyway, as a young Welsh manager I wish him well wherever he ends up this season.
    The Jacks have a promising Welsh Manager and a Bluebirds Supporter to boot, there last Bluebird Manager Tosh didn’t have a bad record! Steven Cooper anyone?

When we hired Malky his assistant at Watford at the time was Sean Dyche and in retrospect would have been the better choice. However, I'm not sure of the reaction if we'd chosen him instead, since Watford were seen as a smaller club at the time. What if we hired the assistant at Brentford or some such next summer? Why do they need to have proven themselves elsewhere before they come here?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    He's a nice guy and a committed player - but I'm not sure what leads anyone to believe he'd be a successful manager?
    I just think he's being lined up in the club, he would get dressing room backing , he has a lovely smile, his name is easy to spell, what's not to like , other players have jumped in and performed without a lot of experience .

Thankfully after quickly running through these posts its seems were over our 'Pulis is the savour' era . (phew)

I’ve got absolutely **** all to base this on, just my own opinion tbh, but Sol Bamba comes across as someone who would do well as a manager.

I’m not really sure why I think it or how I’ve come to that conclusion and I’m sure TLG would have a field day replying to this, call it a gut instinct. I just think he would grow into a decent manager.

He’s a fan of carrying the ball out from defense as well so that’s a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    When we hired Malky his assistant at Watford at the time was Sean Dyche and in retrospect would have been the better choice. However, I'm not sure of the reaction if we'd chosen him instead, since Watford were seen as a smaller club at the time. What if we hired the assistant at Brentford or some such next summer? Why do they need to have proven themselves elsewhere before they come here?

I don't think someone has to prove themselves at all before becoming the manager of Cardiff City but I do wonder how we would go about short listing and concluding that someone is the right choice.

Swansea this summer (according to their chairman) received a high quantity of applications and in the end it was rumoured that Michael Appleton, Flynn and Cooper, now the outsider according to logic would be Cooper, however Swansea had people like Britton and Curtis involved in their selection process so knew exactly what they were looking for in their applicants.

I honestly don't know how we're going to arrive at the same place when we go through the process.

Warnock is clear and I've heard him speak on numerous occasions that he doesn't for the life of him understand what's wrong with kicking the ball into row Z and similar sentiments.

Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with row Z per say but I'm just saying that if we did have a manager who said he'd like to play from the back with a possession based brand of football then he'd be dismissed in the same way that I'd dismiss if I heard someone like Warnock say the opposite.

We have no football philosophy at our club. We have no football people attached to our club so I truly think that unless we stumble across and appoint the right manager by luck then I don't see how we can strategically seek out the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think someone has to prove themselves at all before becoming the manager of Cardiff City but I do wonder how we would go about short listing and concluding that someone is the right choice.

Swansea this summer (according to their chairman) received a high quantity of applications and in the end it was rumoured that Michael Appleton, Flynn and Cooper, now the outsider according to logic would be Cooper, however Swansea had people like Britton and Curtis involved in their selection process so knew exactly what they were looking for in their applicants.

I honestly don't know how we're going to arrive at the same place when we go through the process.

Warnock is clear and I've heard him speak on numerous occasions that he doesn't for the life of him understand what's wrong with kicking the ball into row Z and similar sentiments.

Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with row Z per say but I'm just saying that if we did have a manager who said he'd like to play from the back with a possession based brand of football then he'd be dismissed in the same way that I'd dismiss if I heard someone like Warnock say the opposite.

We have no football philosophy at our club. We have no football people attached to our club so I truly think that unless we stumble across and appoint the right manager by luck then I don't see how we can strategically seek out the right guy.
    Yeah, you read so much on here about them being lucky with managers etc, yet they have a process in place. But yeah it’s pure luck.
    It’s really no surprise either they had a high number of applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

That's part of the argument that one more year or Warnock, while giving chance to develop off the field, is the right move. Ideally we re-capture what we were doing with the youth team: giving Bellamy more and more control so that he has the relationship with the players to take the step up and become our next manager. Who manages our youth team now? Is there any hope of them being our next manager/any reason to want them to be?

The periods of relative stability for this club in recent history has been the three years of Lennie Lawrence, six years of DJ, two years of Malky and what will be three years of Warnock. If we do have a football identity as a club then it's a lot less attractive than the one the Jacks have. If we're not going to be using out decent youth squad, as described above, then the other option is that we back a younger manager with greater understanding of how to defend in the modern game. I wonder if Mark Hudson fancies a go if/when the new Huddersfield manager wants to bring in his own staff?

Some absolute shocking choices for new manager in this thread. Think I'll give our Neil the benefit of the doubt for now, reminds you to be careful what you wish for.

Trollope, Slade *shudder"