+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And this is why we need a Director of Football

And this is why we need a Director of Football

Re: And this is why we need a Director of Football

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I see Brands "was appointed to Everton's board seven months after his arrival and placed in charge of overall football strategy at the club", That's exactly what we need at this club, not only in terms of the recruitment procedure, but also as a means to producing an Academy that actually works - hopefully, he'd start off by getting rid of the time servers currently occupying senior positions in our youth development programme who, as shown by all of the relevant evidence, are simply not doing what they were employed to do.

That Sarri don't like them youngsters, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    That Sarri don't like them youngsters, does he?
    I'd rather concern myself with the club I support which has a manager who, on his record over his nearly three years at Cardiff, likes youngsters a lot less than Sarri does.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd rather concern myself with the club I support which has a manager who, on his record over his nearly three years at Cardiff, likes youngsters a lot less than Sarri does.

Wales Bales will still be trying to prove he's right in 20 years. The guy is a fool.

What a great article and highlights the expertise needed in such a competitive field.

Knowledge of the world of football is paramount, as is being connected.

This is where I believe our club is so fragmented and out of touch.

Just to watch Chalobah last night, you can see that this generation of youngsters coming through play the game on a higher level and we need to be in a place as a club to take full advantage of that.

There appears to be so little attention to detail at our club and whether we like it or not it was clear in press conference's how other managers perceive Warnock and the football we play.

People may think feck um but if we are going to attract the best young talent to this club then we need to have these managers on side.

Nobody would advise someone like Chalobah or Ampadu to come to a club like ours, it just won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Wales Bales will still be trying to prove he's right in 20 years. The guy is a fool.

What a great article and highlights the expertise needed in such a competitive field.

Just to watch Chalobah last night, you can see that this generation of youngsters coming through play the game on a higher level and we need to be in a place as a club to take full advantage of that.

There appears to be so little attention to detail at our club and whether we like it or not it was clear in press conference's how other managers perceive Warnock and the football we play.

People may think feck um but if we are going to attract the best young talent to this club then we need to have these managers on side.

Nobody would advise someone like Chalobah or Ampadu to come to a club like ours, it just won't happen
    I've watched Kean play, and only a feckin' idiot would have gotten rid of him!

Top marks to Brands for scoring the deal, but it needed an idiot in place before a deal like that could happen

I was one of the first to advocate for a new footballing philosophy at the end of last season. It's bleedin' obvious what is required, but don't say it too loud!

I was one of the first to advocate for a new footballing philosophy at the end of last season. It's bleedin' obvious what is required, but don't say it too loud!

The make it up as you go along culture of the Cardiff City board and management is no substitute for a modern strategy suitable for our club.

With a professional structure, including a Director of Football, we would not be subject to satisfying the whims of whichever manager comes through the door. At Cardiff recruitment appears to consist of the Chief Scout, an old mate of Warnock, and a transfer committee of well-meaning amateurs who presumably signed off stuff like the signing of the McKay twins and the various deals appearing to involve a potential conflict of interest between manager and son.

After two failures in the Premier League does VT consider why smaller clubs than Cardiff have not been so intimidated? Maybe he wants to keep excessively close control over the club himself or he’s too ignorant of modern football to recognise what the club needs. Either way I expect it has cost him many millions of pounds in lost revenue and wasted opportunity

That's a great article and it does show how important having a DoF is.

It's strange how opinion has changed on DoFs, about 5-10 years ago the british media and fans were completely againsts a DoF over ruling the manager.

Great post and smack on the money Gringo if I may say so.

City's inability to attract promising footballers to the club is historic and this has not changed one iota since I started supporting the club in the early sixties.

Even in the 70's and 80's Bristol Rovers of all teams had a scouting system that mopped up all the talent in our area. In the 90's and 2000's Bellamy and Bale were snaffled by other clubs.

It is incredible to think that over the last 50 years or more we have only produced TWO players of real quality in Rambo and Toshack.

I've always hoped for radical changes to put these shortcomings right but there are no signs that the club has learned it's lesson or shows any inclination to do so.

Should be doing NOW is first deciding what the ideal structure for us should be, then putting it in place so we have someone looking at the long term direction of the club before we need to bring in the next manager, so we can find someone who complements that.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6272660-...premier-league

As you can see most successful clubs have a DoF these days, but there are a variety of different roles and responsibilities at different clubs, first we need to analyse what everyone else is doing, choose which version of DoF works best for us, then bring in the best person for those skills.

The average tenure of a manager in the league is 18 months, so it becomes very difficult to develop anything in the longer term if they are in charge of everything football.

We are a reasonbly big club by championship standards. Well supported, with decent facilities in a great city easily accessed from London the SE and the midlands. If we had a a decent footballing philosiphy we should have no trouble attracting quality loan signings.

Steve Cooper's been in the Swanea Job two months and they're already further ahead than us. How is it that a club like Swansea have been ahead of us in terms of management, playing style and league position for the best part of 10 ****ing years? And a club like Hudderfield can attract talent like Chalobah? Don't Tan, Choo and Dalman see where we are going wrong?

I agree entirely with the sentiment but the problem at City will be who would recruit the DoF and would he be given the authority to act? The type of individual required needs to be capable & allowed to do his job. One of the numerous ex-Arsenal players currently in the system who have been through Dragon Park would be ideal. Viera, Henry, Arteta ....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We are a reasonbly big club by championship standards. Well supported, with decent facilities in a great city easily accessed from London the SE and the midlands. If we had a a decent footballing philosiphy we should have no trouble attracting quality loan signings.

Steve Cooper's been in the Swanea Job two months and they're already further ahead than us. How is it that a club like Swansea have been ahead of us in terms of management, playing style and league position for the best part of 10 ****ing years? And a club like Hudderfield can attract talent like Chalobah? Don't Tan, Choo and Dalman see where we are going wrong?
    Haven’t Huddersfield had the same DoF as Norwich had now?
    There was a great article on the BBC website a few weeks ago about the amount of thought and planning that goes into their young players, such as carefully choosing loan clubs to optimise their development, rather than simply shipping them out to get rid of them for a while.
    I’ve noticed that despite spending little on transfers, Norwich haven’t been subject to the same criticism that we had as a promoted side and that has to be down to their existing recruitment and preparedness.
    They seem to be coping okay, so far, as well...
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 22-08-19 at 15:15. Reason: Typo

There was a great article on the BBC website a few weeks ago about the amount of thought and planning that goes into their young players, such as carefully choosing loan clubs to optimise their development, rather than simply shipping them out to get rid of them for a while.
    I’ve noticed that despite spending little on transfers, Norwich haven’t been subject to the same criticism that we had as a promoted side and that has to be down to their existing recruitment and preparedness.
    They were also able to loan Patrick Roberts for a very small price according to Stuart Webber cos Man City trusted their club to develop Roberts on the next stage of his development.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39483647

They were also able to loan Patrick Roberts for a very small price according to Stuart Webber cos Man City trusted their club to develop Roberts on the next stage of his development.
    When Dave Jones was manager we had no problem attracting Prem players on loan throughout his tenure. True, he had his contacts, but we were known for playing good 'football', which was an added attraction for clubs loaning as well as players alike..

Interesting. Hopefully, Tan et al are taking notice.

Bloody visionary you is 😉

Don't you think though the fact that Everton are premiership club ,there's a crazy abundance of strikers at Juve, and that a top end agent was involved ,makes this deal more likely , or a fortunate DOE probably just took a call ???

I'm not against the DOE idea however,who would we attract for the role ,?

If we had DOE what pool of talent would we be looking at that differs from now ,that we could afford and attract?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Interesting. Hopefully, Tan et al are taking notice.
    https://trainingground.guru/articles...ich-to-the-top

UK football managers and pundits in in the 90's and early 2000's wouldn't have dreamt of any formation but 4-4-2 but that changed and even now a lot of pundits will be incredibly wary of suggesting 4-4-2, but surely always using and refusing to use it are just different sides of the same naïve coin? Aren't we now doing the same thing with a Director of Football? I would suggest that the best thing the Jacks have done this summer is set themselves up off the field but as far as I'm aware they do not have a DoF, they just have a forward thinking and balanced (not totally market driven, not totally football driven) set of club officials. We have a wily old fox who covers for lack of football knowledge in our list of club officials but perhaps leaves us restricted in other areas. We have a year of, hopefully, relative security and stability to take a step forward off the pitch to leave us better on it.