+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Throw-ins

Our Throw-ins

Every long throw into the box seemed easily defended last night and against Luton. I think all teams can now defend against it.

Once Morrison stopped taking them after the first 20 minutes we looked far more comfortable throwing to feet an playing a bit of football.

We seem to be the only team in the division that stops the game, for what seems ages, in order to throw high long throw ins that we often lose. For got sake throw to feet quickly and move the ball.

Re: Our Throw-ins

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    Every long throw into the box seemed easily defended last night and against Luton. I think all teams can now defend against it.

Once Morrison stopped taking them after the first 20 minutes we looked far more comfortable throwing to feet an playing a bit of football.

We seem to be the only team in the division that stops the game, for what seems ages, in order to throw high long throw ins that we often lose. For got sake throw to feet quickly and move the ball.
    It can take the best part of a minute for us to take a throw by the time Morrisons has toddled over and wiped the ball etc. It’s a tremendous waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    It can take the best part of a minute for us to take a throw by the time Morrisons has toddled over and wiped the ball etc. It’s a tremendous waste of time
    It's not just throw ins it's every set piece. It's like watching rugby waiting for a scrum or a lineout. It's painful at times, especially say in the 14th minute as opposed the 90th

We have Flint waiting in the box and we still can't win the ball. It's embarrassing. And don't get me started on long throws from our own half. What a ****ing joke!.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We have Flint waiting in the box and we still can't win the ball. It's embarrassing. And don't get me started on long throws from our own half. What a ****ing joke!.
    Agreed, but can you imagine Flint and Morrison passing around the 6 yard box. I can’t!!

We were more or less promoted through long throws and set pieces so anyone who can't see how important they are is missing a big thing. Doing it right is something which can give us a tremendous advantage, and so that's what we should do.
    We're not getting it right at the moment though, and last night I wondered whether we'd be better off leading with Morrison and leaving Flint out of the manoeuvre.
    It's a knack of the thrower or corner taker connecting with the target man exactly and so far we haven't found that recipe .

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    We're not getting it right at the moment though...
    ...and we didn’t all last season. Whilst I can see there’s a time and place for them, it just sends a message that we are one-dimensional and not confident enough to try anything else.

I have to agree that so many long throw-ins really aren't good to watch but even more than that, they were very ineffective last season and have been up until now.

The season before, Morrison was winning virtually everything and scoring goals to boot. Since our promotion last year, he seems to have lost a big part of his game.

The worst part of this tactic for me though is not our lack of joy from them, but the chaos that ensues defensively when it breaks down.
    We all know that any successful side has to be solid at the back but we have been far from that, much of the time as a direct result of these fruitless long throws.

Every now and again is fine but not as our main tactic. Sides have sussed how to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I have to agree that so many long throw-ins really aren't good to watch but even more than that, they were very ineffective last season and have been up until now.

The season before, Morrison was winning virtually everything and scoring goals to boot. Since our promotion last year, he seems to have lost a big part of his game.

The worst part of this tactic for me though is not our lack of joy from them, but the chaos that ensues defensively when it breaks down.
    We all know that any successful side has to be solid at the back but we have been far from that, much of the time as a direct result of these fruitless long throws.

Every now and again is fine but not as our main tactic. Sides have sussed how to play it.
    We had 24 attempts yesterday. It was great to watch and leaving the long throws out we had three brilliant balls played through for forwards to run onto and score that nearly came off. One dimensional we are not.

..the long throws against Reading caused chaos in their area..we were unlucky nit to score a couple off them..like a pinball in there it was

I don’t mind the odd long throw but mixing it up now & again wouldn’t go amiss. A quick, short throw may just work, at least the first time we do it, as long as it’s been worked on through the week on the training ground and our lot are all alert to it. It seems as though the opposition just start ambling back to assemble in their area whenever we get a throw within distance, catch the f*ckers out for once!

I watched a different game to some last night then .

I purposely watched to see if we pass a ball rather than hoof it , and was pleasantly surprised we did pass short balls , and in doing so scored two good goals , I also saw Tomlin play one of his better games all with ball to his feet .

Yes we tried long throws and odd corners with crowded boxes it didnt however form the majority of our tactics .

Interestingly the keeper tried and succeeded in distribution to players rather than hoofing it .

We were more or less promoted through long throws and set pieces so anyone who can't see how important they are is missing a big thing. Doing it right is something which can give us a tremendous advantage, and so that's what we should do.
    We're not getting it right at the moment though, and last night I wondered whether we'd be better off leading with Morrison and leaving Flint out of the manoeuvre.
    It's a knack of the thrower or corner taker connecting with the target man exactly and so far we haven't found that recipe .
    The people missing something are the ones living in the past. The long throws don't work anymore. Unless the objective is to give away possession.

The people missing something are the ones living in the past. The long throws don't work anymore. Unless the objective is to give away possession.

No, they work very well if you do it properly. In fact a commentator on Sky last night was saying how poorly championship teams defend corners and set pieces. He's right, and if we or anyone else can exploit that it will earn goals and points.

What would you do with corners and throws high up the pitch incidentally ? I'd be most interested to know whether you've got a more effective tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Interestingly the keeper tried and succeeded in distribution to players rather than hoofing it .
    Most of the time he played a short ball to a defender, it came back to him pretty quickly then he hoofed. My son said at least twice "why doesn't he just hoof it in the first place as that is what he ends up doing"

Not really. It's predictable and can be defended against. Rory Delap made a name for himself one season but once teams knew how to deal with it, he became ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I watched a different game to some last night then .

I purposely watched to see if we pass a ball rather than hoof it , and was pleasantly surprised we did pass short balls , and in doing so scored two good goals , I also saw Tomlin play one of his better games all with ball to his feet .

Yes we tried long throws and odd corners with crowded boxes it didnt however form the majority of our tactics .

Re the comment about Smithies. I was always quick to defend Etheridge's distribution as I felt he was under orders. I can only presume that such orders don't exist and Etheridge is a keeper that just wants to whack it long.

Heisenberg

No, they work very well if you do it properly. In fact a commentator on Sky last night was saying how poorly championship teams defend corners and set pieces. .
    Excellent points . It's exactly the same group of kids who can't be civil in a discussion and who know bugger all about football except what they've picked up from tv pundits and playing that computer game they seem to like.
    You tell 'em, Ronnie!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You tell 'em, Ronnie!

Why not throw the ball to feet and get super Junior Hoilett to whip it in instead

No, they work very well if you do it properly. In fact a commentator on Sky last night was saying how poorly championship teams defend corners and set pieces. He's right, and if we or anyone else can exploit that it will earn goals and points.

What would you do with corners and throws high up the pitch incidentally ? I'd be most interested to know whether you've got a more effective tactic.
    For corners I'd have the player strike it with his foot. For throws in, I'd have a player quickly throw it to a player nearby who could then strike it with his foot. (I'm trying to come up with a name for this - all I have so far is "foot-throw" and I'm not really feeling it.) I have an inkling that the ball would move much faster into the opposition area catching them by surprise. The pace on the ball would allow for the slightest of touches to divert the ball past the defenders and into the goal. That's my hunch anyway. I guess we'll never find out.

For corners I'd have the player strike it with his foot. For throws in, I'd have a player quickly throw it to a player nearby who could then strike it with his foot. (I'm trying to come up with a name for this - all I have so far is "foot-throw" and I'm not really feeling it.) I have an inkling that the ball would move much faster into the opposition area catching them by surprise. The pace on the ball would allow for the slightest of touches to divert the ball past the defenders and into the goal. That's my hunch anyway. I guess we'll never find out.

Trouble with that is that you can't really practice it and it'd only move faster into the box after it'd been kicked. Also bear in mind that if you throw it to a man to cross he can and will be blocked / challenged by a defender , whilst the long thrower can take his time without challenge and aim for a particular point which he and his team mates know about, and therefore people can make runs to draw defenders away from that point.
    As I said earlier, we're not doing it properly at the moment, but once you do get it right it's a factor which you can control and will certainly bring goals.
    Colin's not daft and he knows all this, which is why he persists with it.

Mind you, I appreciate your polite and constructive reply, since most people here seem to just rant at each other instead of discussing things logically.

Trouble with that is that you can't really practice it and it'd only move faster into the box after it'd been kicked. Also bear in mind that if you throw it to a man to cross he can and will be blocked / challenged by a defender , whilst the long thrower can take his time without challenge and aim for a particular point which he and his team mates know about, and therefore people can make runs to draw defenders away from that point.
    As I said earlier, we're not doing it properly at the moment, but once you do get it right it's a factor which you can control and will certainly bring goals.
    Colin's not daft and he knows all this, which is why he persists with it.

Mind you, I appreciate your polite and constructive reply, since most people here seem to just rant at each other instead of discussing things logically.
    Do you think the man you usually call Sir Neil appreciates being called Colin? Based on what he said about being addressed as Warnock" as a fans evening with him I attended, he wouldn't be happy - why can't you just refer to him by his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not really. It's predictable and can be defended against. Rory Delap made a name for himself one season but once teams knew how to deal with it, he became ineffective.
    The only time I can remember us almost scoring from a set piece on Wednesday was when Glatzel headed just wide in the first half after a corner I think it was has been nodded on by Morrison. Although Huddersfield were sleeping from some of the short corners we took, we failed to take advantage and it seems to me that we have got things the wrong way around when we persist with short corners (which we have been doing this season) and yet hurl the ball into the penalty area with long throw ins, which barely ever lead to goals, at every opportunity we get.