+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Am I alone?

Am I alone?

Managed to fit the game last night in before I return to France. Reading all the reports and raves over Tomlin - was I watching the same game? He was o-k-a-y, but there were no 'killer' passes and several times he cheaply gave away possession. Don't get me wrong - I think there IS a place for him, but he does need a run of games!

Other than that....
    >Smithies (and defence) at fault with goal.
    >Bennett gets caught out of position too often
    >Morrison way to slow (nothing new there...)
    >Bacuna anonymous apart from one ambitious shot and a good saving tackle near touch in stoppage time . Disappointed with him, I liked him when he first joined, and thought he would 'kick on'.
    >RALLS man of the match for me (even if he had not scored)
    >Whyte - way too lightweight and naive.
    >Murphy - pretty poor game really, no end product.
    >Glatzel - some decent signs...should have scored.

Subs: Bogle looks fired up and should start. Hoilett....seems better as impact these days - he looked class when he came on.

Finally, The at atmosphere - very impressive apart from a quiet period after Huddersfield scored, but returned late on. Really a huge noise and louder than I can remember.! Well done.

Re: Am I alone?

That's the issue though. We are so starved of any ingenuity in our squad that any glimpse of it is welcomed with open arms.

He wasn't brilliant (far from it) but it's just good to see a footballer in a blue shirt allowed to use his imagination.

No you are not alone. Tomlin, for reasons that allude me, has some sort of hero status here. In our promotion year we were desperate for a win and time was ticking away. He was more concerned with scoring a goal which he knew would be disallowed and continued to posture in front of the Canton. He seems to have a massive attitude problem and is unprofessional. I can’t take to the guy and doubt I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    No you are not alone. Tomlin, for reasons that allude me, has some sort of hero status here. In our promotion year we were desperate for a win and time was ticking away. He was more concerned with scoring a goal which he knew would be disallowed and continued to posture in front of the Canton. He seems to have a massive attitude problem and is unprofessional. I can’t take to the guy and doubt I will.

Less to do with ‘hero status’. More to do with ‘desperation’.
    We have been desperate for several seasons for a creative midfield player and he is the closest that we have to one.

He didn't get everything right but he added creativity and seemed determined to work hard on and off the ball. I thought it was a good reintroduction.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He didn't get everything right but he added creativity and seemed determined to work hard on and off the ball. I thought it was a good reintroduction.
    He’s needed, he’s being paid a decent wage & should be used. Warnock does seem a bit vindictive to certain players, ostracising them, I’m not keen on that trait, he’s the manager, he’s paid to manage players. Didn’t Guardiola say that it’s his job to manage 25 egos? He’s right, it’s in the job description. Warnock’s unique in this, in that he actually ostracises players that he’s brought in, it’s usually the case that a manager singles out players from a previous regime. Tomlin's inclusion certainly brought the best out in Joe Ralls, sometimes it’s not what the individual does, it’s what his contribution enables others to do.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He’s needed, he’s being paid a decent wage & should be used. Warnock does seem a bit vindictive to certain players, ostracising them, I’m not keen on that trait, he’s the manager, he’s paid to manage players. Didn’t Guardiola say that it’s his job to manage 25 egos? He’s right, it’s in the job description. Warnock’s unique in this, in that he actually ostracises players that he’s brought in, it’s usually the case that a manager singles out players from a previous regime. Tomlin's inclusion certainly brought the best out in Joe Ralls, sometimes it’s not what the individual does, it’s what his contribution enables others to do.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He did alright first half, but looked like he was spent pretty early in the second. On last night's showing, I just can't believe he'll be anything more than a bit-part at this level, or any other level for that matter. If you look through his record at Peterborough last season you'll see he rarely lasted past the 70 minute mark.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He did alright first half, but looked like he was spent pretty early in the second. On last night's showing, I just can't believe he'll be anything more than a bit-part at this level, or any other level for that matter. If you look through his record at Peterborough last season you'll see he rarely lasted past the 70 minute mark.
    He was in a bad shape last year .

He's not looking the same shape as he was last year , in fact he's totally toned this year , and a different shape from what I could see .

He wants to play , he looked hungry for the ball , eager , quick feet, good thought of movement, in and around the midfield, lets see where this goes, lets be honest we have not got many options, or his like in the squad ??

I agree. He's been an easy target pretty much since he signed for us (and rightly so, for the most part). However, regardless of what some have said on here, I really enjoyed watching him play last night. Even though there's no denying the bar is pretty low at present in terms of creativity, he was a breath of fresh air. He has a footballing brain and there's a zip to his passes that others on the team don't possess. No idea how things will pan out for him this season - especially after Warnock's post-match comments - but I think he can play a big role. He's obviously worked hard to lose some timber and it was nice to see the ovation he got when he was subbed. Hopefully we'll see more.

You're not alone. All that Tomlin really did last night was get on the ball, look up and try and get things going, a bit of pass and move. It just goes to show how starved we've been of a quality footballer since Whittingham was at his pomp Probably a good 7 years. That's the reason Camarasa was so highly regarded last season, because he got on the ball and lifted his head up, that was enough for alot of fans even though he was light, poor in the tackle and sometimes slow on the ball. Even Harry Arter was considered some kind of footballer because he'd played for Bournemouth, although i think that was people pretending to know what kind of player he was, which always seems to happen when we sign a new player. Tomlin is the only creative player we have at the club, he's 30 years old, has spent most of his career overweight and had discipline problems, the managers he has played for don't seem to trust him and i don't think that he's that good anyway, Yet like everyone else in the ground last night i was willing him on like some kind of saviour, hoping that he could give us what we've lacked for so many years. It's a desperate situation really.

Interesting thread this. I've never been one to fall in with the Tomlin hype and, if I were manager, he would probably no longer be at the club, but, we played in a different way on Wednesday and in the ten minutes before half time I was actually enjoying the football we were playing. The biggest single reason for that was that Tomlin was getting on the ball a lot and showing what he was capable of - just as importantly, he was a focal point that was enabling some of our other players to show that they are not as limited and one dimensional as they often appear to be.

I also question whether Tomlin can prove as influential as he was on Wednesday over a period of weeks and months, but will he be given the chance to be? It's going to be very interesting to see what our team looks like tomorrow because even after Wednesday, Neil Warnock sounded like someone who would struggle to find a place for him in away games.