+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Josh Murphy needs a rocket up his proverbial...

Josh Murphy needs a rocket up his proverbial...

...another very poor display...no commitment, no guile either, crossing utterly garbage and his shooting is technically very poor indeed.

It looks as though he doesn't want to be on the pitch - give him a rest to think things through.

Re: Josh Murphy needs a rocket up his proverbial...

As I posted in the main match thread...I saw Whyte and Murphy on the team sheet...but wasn't sure they actually took the field....

He obviously has qualities but he doesn't seem to perform regularly enough I think he is one who puts in more if playing against big names.

We've pretty much got 6 wide players and none of them are stand out starters.

When I watched his Norwich highlights before we signed him, it seemed that he did most of his best work cutting inside. Neil has him playing out wide and trying to get crosses in, which he mostly fails at.

The lad can beat a man with a dribble but his delivery is really bad because he never gets his head up. We either need to get more players around him to play a simple pass to or let him cut inside. I don't think Neil will do the latter because his tactic relies on being rigid with the formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    When I watched his Norwich highlights before we signed him, it seemed that he did most of his best work cutting inside. Neil has him playing out wide and trying to get crosses in, which he mostly fails at.

The lad can beat a man with a dribble but his delivery is really bad because he never gets his head up. We either need to get more players around him to play a simple pass to or let him cut inside. I don't think Neil will do the latter because his tactic relies on being rigid with the formation.
    Agreed. Murphy needs to cut in on the diagonal Chris Burke style and either get a shot in sooner rather than too late or lay off a pass to Glatzel who should be getting himself in and around the D. And all at speed. We are too slow, take (or attempt to take) too many touches. Glatzel looked more effective when, for a few minutes, he played the no 10 role.

I think Murphy knows how to play football .
    The story is he doesnt want to play football for Cardiff . No matter his talent he needs to move on to pastures new.
    If the story is correct I am surprised at Warnock persevering with him.

When he signed, I asked my Norwich mate about him and he said "He can be a great player when he wants to be, but that want is very inconsistent"

We once had a winger, Gregg Farrell.
    He could be brilliant and useless in the same game. Wingers then were line huggers and weren’t expected to do much more than beat the full back and get a cross in, score the occasional goal. Another was the lovable Ronnie Bird. More useless than brilliant but delivered some important moments. Unlike then
    Today’s wingers need to be able to attack and defend and to put in 90 minutes.
    Noone spent too much time defending but worked hard. Hoilett works hard, can defend, can attack. For me NML is a modern Ronnie Bird. Murphy a modern Greg Farrell. The issue is that when they don’t do well in attack they offer nothing else.

Lack of self confidence, poor decision making, slow at moving the ball. He needs self belief and to release the ball quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Lack of self confidence, poor decision making, slow at moving the ball. He needs self belief and to release the ball quicker.
    Do you think that he holds onto the ball because there isn't an option? His crossing can be very poor at times although we don't have much to hit. I was always taught that if there's nothing on the put the ball into a dangerous area or try and put in between the keeper and defender, make them both think. We don't even seem to do that and it's not like we have late runners, it's all very static.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I think Murphy knows how to play football .
    The story is he doesnt want to play football for Cardiff...
    ...well that works out well all around because I don't want to continue watching him

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    ...well that works out well all around because I don't want to continue watching him
    Me neither. He has talent, yes, but has no footballing brain at all. I've coached 8 year olds with more footballing nous.

I agree he's inconsistent and his final delivery is lacking at times, but his ability to glide past his man with ease is something I think is worth having in the team. He's a big threat, especially at this level. We don't really have that in anyone else. NML can do it, but not regularly enough. Murphy needs a run of starts in games, he's too often dropped or subbed early. Seems Warnock has done the drop him option and he's not reacted. Try the arm around the shoulder. That way he can build his confidence too.

Maybe if there was another player in the same post code as him when he drives forward, he might do better? Our wingers are left flogging a dead horse so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Maybe if there was another player in the same post code as him when he drives forward, he might do better? Our wingers are left flogging a dead horse so often.
    I would love to see us try a 442 or 4411. Our wingers are more than capable of starting runs slightly deeper.