+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin

Re: Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't think anyone has suggested Tomlin should charge around the field like a headless chicken for ninety minutes. Based on the evidence of recent seasons, his ability to last ninety minutes under any circumstances is questionable, but I guess we'll see if he can during the coming weeks provided Warnock gives him a run in the side.
    Well its hardly a secret that hes had his problems, most of them his own doing, and by his own admission he has not lived the life of a professional athlete. Six months without playing competetive football when he went on loan to Peterborough so its not really a surprise he was lacking fitness and wasnt playing 90 minutes week in, week out for them,.

The penny has finally dropped with him it seems but is it too late at 30? Probably, but id prefer he was given one last chance to prove himself because hes one of the few players weve got playing for us who can excite the fans.

Weve got more than enough water carriers in the team to accommodate him in my opinion.

Only at Cardiff City it seems the fans prefer players who can compete and run about than someone with skill. I dont know if its from spending so many years in the dungeon its made our fans that way but for as long as I can remember the triers get more plaudits than the players who can turn a game.

Here are some examples over the years ive been supporting Cardiff.

Gareth Stoker > Jason Fowler
    Gareth Ainsworth > Jason Bowen
    Gavin Rae > Stephen Mcphail
    Aron Gunnarson / Don Cowie > Peter Whittingham
    Callum Paterson > Lee Tomlin / Bobby Reid

And my personal favourite Alex Revell > Kenwynne Jones

Jay Bothroyd is the best all round striker ive seen play for City but he used to get dogs abuse from our own fans for being lazy and not running about like a headless chicken. If he he had the stamina to do that added to the other qualities in his game he wouldnt have been anywhere near the Championship.

Sometimes youve just got to admit that players at this level have their flaws, and unfortunately stamina is one of the flaws of Tomlins game.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Tomlin had a great chance from a free kick late in the game where, not only did he not even test the wall never mind the keeper with his tired effort, he clumsily fouled the defender straight after the block and got booked.
    That summed Tomlin up for me.

Yes, everybody knows he has ability that many pro footballers only dream of, but the glimpses of his talents are very few and far between.

The guy is living on past glories and though he may occasionally show something a bit different, we see these people all the time at various levels.
    IMHO he is playing above his level. A level where stamina is key.

Impact player when we need something different who can still play a big part this season but I concur with a previous post, the messiah he certainly is not.
    Players hits the wall from a free kick. Sell him. Hes useless. Its not like Messi or Ronaldo have ever hit a wall from a free kick now is it?

JR knows his football in fairness, spot on about Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    JR knows his football in fairness, spot on about Tomlin
    If he knew that much, he wouldn’t be with us, he’d be supporting a bigger team 😁

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Wilkins and Hoddle played in an era when there were probably only two or three players per squad that took their diet/fitness/lifestyle seriously. If you were blessed with natural talent you could run rings around lesser players. You can't get away with that anymore. Everybody is expected to work their arse off and maintain 100% concentration the whole time they're on the pitch.
    The thing is, your version of events hit a buffer when you think of all the squad rotation that takes place nowadays.
    The players in the 80’s who you deem as unfit, usually played 40+ games a season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well its hardly a secret that hes had his problems, most of them his own doing, and by his own admission he has not lived the life of a professional athlete. Six months without playing competetive football when he went on loan to Peterborough so its not really a surprise he was lacking fitness and wasnt playing 90 minutes week in, week out for them,.

The penny has finally dropped with him it seems but is it too late at 30? Probably, but id prefer he was given one last chance to prove himself because hes one of the few players weve got playing for us who can excite the fans.

Weve got more than enough water carriers in the team to accommodate him in my opinion.

Only at Cardiff City it seems the fans prefer players who can compete and run about than someone with skill. I dont know if its from spending so many years in the dungeon its made our fans that way but for as long as I can remember the triers get more plaudits than the players who can turn a game.

Jay Bothroyd is the best all round striker ive seen play for City but he used to get dogs abuse from our own fans for being lazy and not running about like a headless chicken. If he he had the stamina to do that added to the other qualities in his game he wouldnt have been anywhere near the Championship.

Sometimes youve just got to admit that players at this level have their flaws, and unfortunately stamina is one of the flaws of Tomlins game.
    Bothroyd wouldn’t be in my top 5. But hey ho it’s all about opinions. How long have you been watching the city?

He’s not playing in the same position as Hoddle or Wilkins you doughnut.

He’s about 30 yards further forward.

We also don’t keep the ball like a lot of the top teams do and so our players have to spend a lot of time chasing possession or fighting for 2nd balls.

I’m sure if Tomlin player in a side of the quality Wilkins and Hoddle did then he wouldn’t have to run about like he does for Cardiff.

I know we play 1980s style football but why reference 2 players from 40 years ago anyway? Bizarre.
    At the end of the day, he’s never gonna give us 90 mins. We need a decent midfielder who can, if were gonna go for promotion. We always seem to get players with extra baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Bothroyd wouldn’t be in my top 5. But hey ho it’s all about opinions. How long have you been watching the city?
    If you can name 5 better all round strikers, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of one in the 30 years I've been watching. Perhaps I was unlucky to be born so late.

27 years

I loved Carl Dale and Phil Stant but let’s be real here they were journeymen lower league footballers. Fantastic for the level we were at but nowhere near Bothroyds level.

Bothroyds hold up and link play is something we are still missing and has never been replaced 9 seasons after he left.

At the end of the day, he’s never gonna give us 90 mins. We need a decent midfielder who can, if were gonna go for promotion. We always seem to get players with extra baggage.
    Well we can’t attract those players obviously. They either cost a lot of money (Hull want 20m for their goal scoring midfielder Jarrod Bowen) or they don’t want to play for a manager who bypasses midfield. We had a player in Bobby Reid who wanted out because of the way he was treated since he signed. When he was used we never played to his strengths yet he got 5 goals in the Premier League from very limited minutes on the pitch.

A 60 minute Tomlin or a 30 minute Tomlin off the bench gives you more than a 90 minute Will Vaulks.

Superb post that

If our fans were Brazilian their favourite player of all time would be Dunga!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If you can name 5 better all round strikers, I'd love to hear it. I can't think of one in the 30 years I've been watching. Perhaps I was unlucky to be born so late.
    For starters, I’m not into this “all round” nonsense when it comes to strikers.
    Ernie, Dale, Chopra, McCormack,Jimmy Floydand Dave Phillips will stick in my memory a lot longer than Bothroyd.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    If our fans were Brazilian their favourite player of all time would be Dunga!
    Dunga could play. His anticipation was ****ing brilliant and he hardly went to ground and rarely wasted a pass. Dunga is one of my favourite players of all time although i'm not Brazilian

Ernie, Dale, Chopra, McCormack,Jimmy Floydand Dave Phillips will stick in my memory a lot longer than Bothroyd.
    Fair shout, some of the greatest strikers are out and out goalscorers, that's what they're there for, anything else is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Dunga could play. His anticipation was ****ing brilliant and he hardly went to ground and rarely wasted a pass. Dunga is one of my favourite players of all time although i'm not Brazilian
    Dunga vs Pele, Zico, Socrates, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho! Hmmmm that's a tough one.

Dunga vs Pele, Zico, Socrates, Garrincha, Ronaldo, Romario, Ronaldinho! Hmmmm that's a tough one.
    Is it? The bloke was one of the greatest ever in his position. He was voted in the 94 and 98 world cup all stars team. His positioning was probably the best i've ever seen and his ability to read the game and organise the midfield and defence was pivitol in Brazil winning the world cup in 94. In his position he's one of the greatest of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is it? The bloke was one of the greatest ever in his position. He was voted in the 94 and 98 world cup all stars team. His positioning was probably the best i've ever seen and his ability to read the game and organise the midfield and defence was pivitol in Brazil winning the world cup in 94. In his position he's one of the greatest of all time.
    He was like Deschamps for France, every team needs one but a water carrier.

Difference is with us we always seem to have 10 water carriers and one flair player if we're lucky

Agree with Gringo - really balanced, non-confrontational perspective. I know I’ve been triggered by some of your personal attacks on others at times, but I do enjoy your football contributions. I’d much rather have a football conversation with you than TLG.

He was like Deschamps for France, every team needs one but a water carrier.

Difference is with us we always seem to have 10 water carriers and one flair player if we're lucky
    Well, without water there is no life! I get your point though, although i'd say the closest we've got to a 'Water Carrier' is Pack. Let's hope Tomlin can prosper.

Bothroyd was a better player than all of them. Maybe barring peak Earnie.

I think you've crammed in examples to make your point whether they are accurate or not. McPhail may have been judged far too harshly before news of his health condition broke but cannot remember Gavin Rae being supported that keenly, Peter Whittingham was definitely favoured over Don Cowie, and Alex Revell was never a fan favourite but Kenwynne Jones got his name sung much more than most at the time. Arguably, we should favour Paterson over Tomlin (hasn't done anything yet) and Reid (just a bad fit for this team and made it known when trying to engineer a move away) based on their contributions to the side alone.

Considering how fans took to Camarasa and have taken to Tomlin this year I'm not sure it's accurate to say we totally favour effort over skill. I think what gets these players support is that they look like they care whereas a player like Bacuna sometimes looks far too relaxed and is judged too harshly for this reason, although Gavin Whyte clearly cares and is the other player getting criticised far too harshly also.

It's far too simple to say it's activity over skills for City fans. I think it's seeing players care that gets support and it's just easier to see that with those maximising their limited talents over those who aren't or whose talents are harder to see by the average football fan - at least the average football fan before technology and better punditry made us more aware of what skill and tactics are.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think you've crammed in examples to make your point whether they are accurate or not. McPhail may have been judged far too harshly before news of his health condition broke but cannot remember Gavin Rae being supported that keenly, Peter Whittingham was definitely favoured over Don Cowie, and Alex Revell was never a fan favourite but Kenwynne Jones got his name sung much more than most at the time. Arguably, we should favour Paterson over Tomlin (hasn't done anything yet) and Reid (just a bad fit for this team and made it known when trying to engineer a move away) based on their contributions to the side alone.

Considering how fans took to Camarasa and have taken to Tomlin this year I'm not sure it's accurate to say we totally favour effort over skill. I think what gets these players support is that they look like they care whereas a player like Bacuna sometimes looks far too relaxed and is judged too harshly for this reason, although Gavin Whyte clearly cares and is the other player getting criticised far too harshly also.

It's far too simple to say it's activity over skills for City fans. I think it's seeing players care that gets support and it's just easier to see that with those maximising their limited talents over those who aren't or whose talents are harder to see by the average football fan - at least the average football fan before technology and better punditry made us more aware of what skill and tactics are.
    Good post. I think that alot of City fans see a plyer or a manager in their own mold or make the comparison on what they would give out on the pitch because none of us are very good at football. One of the best bits of individual skill i've ever seen from a City player was Bellamy's check back for his goal against Swansea away, fooling the fullback into thinking that he was continuing his run but giving himself enough time and space to get the shot in. For me it was better than the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Bothroyd was a better player than all of them. Maybe barring peak Earnie.
    Bothroyd was miles better than Earnie.

Bothroyd is the best striker we’ve had in decades