+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Day out watching Highland league football

Day out watching Highland league football

My 6 year old has taken an interest in Fort William FC over the last couple of years ago as they continued to set records almost unprecedented in amateur football. Last season's -7 points and goal difference approaching -200 was quite normal.

During the summer they announced a partnership with Inverness Caley Thistle where they would take on some of their youngsters on loan to give them game time. This was not universally popular, with some fans believing their local players deserve to be given the nod as reward for their loyalty to the club (a recent documentary on BBC Scotland mentioned two players from the Isle of Skye who could do a round trip of 500 miles for an away game for £20). This is football for a tiny financial reward, which, in reality, doesn't come close to covering expenses. These are players who love the game, in the same way that older men might sing in a male voice choir.

Anyway, onto today's affair. Having booked a trip to Scotland earlier in the year, in part to Fort William, the fixture computer threw up an away trip this weekend. A tough match at Fraserburgh, favourites to win the league, the only side with a 100% record, scoring 6 goals in both home games this season. Last season saw the Fort lose 13-0 there. Fort had a 100% league record as well but at the foot of the table. 1 goal scored in 4 games. However, they had won 2 games in the cup.

Thinking a pre-match pint would be a good idea, I found a bar opposite the ground that allowed kids in if Fraserburgh were playing at home. It was a bit like a scene from Still Game and plenty of flies had made the gents their home.

£15 to get in, £10 for me, seemed reasonable. The ground was maybe a bit more compact than Penydarren park, without the terracing, with a grandstand on one side. Wooden benches made the seats. The centre benches were the posh ones, having long cushions on them a bit like you might see on church pews. Fans were free to go wherever they wanted. Maybe around 30-40 made the journey from Fort William, some 3-4 hours away.

We decided to loiter by the dugouts on the opposite side for the first half. The Fraserburgh assistant manager generally used expletives before every noun and verb and yelled how shit each one of them was constantly. Players seemed to ignore him. Twice he kicked over all the water bottles in annoyance. One particular highlight was him yelling at their main striker, though I doubt he was heard, saying how his movement and touch was shit, he was too slow, then after a touch on the edge of the box, shouted "what the f**k did you do that for" as a shot flew into the top corner. It was a lovely goal.

Great old fashioned toilets that had once been a piss on the wall job, but now there was a rusty old trough there. The drain on the floor was still there and would catch a few out as they veered closer to the pan, not expect a ditch under their feet.

As for the game, Fraserburgh deservedly won 6-3. It was 3-2 at half time with Fort scoring two good goals, the second a Whittingham-esque free kick that was worth the admission fee. Definite improvement from Fort William, who will win league games this season. More than anything I was impressed with the football on show. Half expecting a hoof fest and lots of tasty challenges, both sides tried to play passing football.

All in all a fun day.

Re: Day out watching Highland league football

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My 6 year old has taken an interest in Fort William FC over the last couple of years ago as they continued to set records almost unprecedented in amateur football. Last season's -7 points and goal difference approaching -200 was quite normal.

During the summer they announced a partnership with Inverness Caley Thistle where they would take on some of their youngsters on loan to give them game time. This was not universally popular, with some fans believing their local players deserve to be given the nod as reward for their loyalty to the club (a recent documentary on BBC Scotland mentioned two players from the Isle of Skye who could do a round trip of 500 miles for an away game for £20). This is football for a tiny financial reward, which, in reality, doesn't come close to covering expenses. These are players who love the game, in the same way that older men might sing in a male voice choir.

Anyway, onto today's affair. Having booked a trip to Scotland earlier in the year, in part to Fort William, the fixture computer threw up an away trip this weekend. A tough match at Fraserburgh, favourites to win the league, the only side with a 100% record, scoring 6 goals in both home games this season. Last season saw the Fort lose 13-0 there. Fort had a 100% league record as well but at the foot of the table. 1 goal scored in 4 games. However, they had won 2 games in the cup.

Thinking a pre-match pint would be a good idea, I found a bar opposite the ground that allowed kids in if Fraserburgh were playing at home. It was a bit like a scene from Still Game and plenty of flies had made the gents their home.

£15 to get in, £10 for me, seemed reasonable. The ground was maybe a bit more compact than Penydarren park, without the terracing, with a grandstand on one side. Wooden benches made the seats. The centre benches were the posh ones, having long cushions on them a bit like you might see on church pews. Fans were free to go wherever they wanted. Maybe around 30-40 made the journey from Fort William, some 3-4 hours away.

We decided to loiter by the dugouts on the opposite side for the first half. The Fraserburgh assistant manager generally used expletives before every noun and verb and yelled how shit each one of them was constantly. Players seemed to ignore him. Twice he kicked over all the water bottles in annoyance. One particular highlight was him yelling at their main striker, though I doubt he was heard, saying how his movement and touch was shit, he was too slow, then after a touch on the edge of the box, shouted "what the f**k did you do that for" as a shot flew into the top corner. It was a lovely goal.

Great old fashioned toilets that had once been a piss on the wall job, but now there was a rusty old trough there. The drain on the floor was still there and would catch a few out as they veered closer to the pan, not expect a ditch under their feet.

As for the game, Fraserburgh deservedly won 6-3. It was 3-2 at half time with Fort scoring two good goals, the second a Whittingham-esque free kick that was worth the admission fee. Definite improvement from Fort William, who will win league games this season. More than anything I was impressed with the football on show. Half expecting a hoof fest and lots of tasty challenges, both sides tried to play passing football.

All in all a fun day.
    Great stuff. Enjoyed that. I wtched a bit of Welsh league the season before last and enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great stuff. Enjoyed that. I wtched a bit of Welsh league the season before last and enjoyed it.
    I sometimes get to watch Aberdare or Merthyr and enjoy it. Might get to a few other grounds this season.

Thanks for that Eric, I watched that documentary on Fort William a few weeks ago and it sounds like some progress is being made - I can understand the misgivings by some of the fans about the link up with Inverness, but when you're struggling so badly year in, year out like they were, I think you have to do whatever you can to stop the decline because eventually the club's existence will be threatened.
    I had some bad news about Blaenrhondda FC yesterday. I was going to wander over to watch their first home match of the season, but discovered a few hours before kick off that they will not be playing at their lovely Blaenrhondda Park ground for the foreseeable future - they are going to be using the 3G pitch at Cambrian and Clydach Vale a few miles down the valley. Blaenrhondda had quite a few matches postponed last season and work was done on their pitch to try to correct the drainage problems which were causing the matches to be called off. it'll take a few months to find out if they have succeeded or not - I'll still get along to the odd game in that time, but it won't quite be the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

All in all a fun day.
    Watched Scottish Junior football at Pollok FC a few times.

£7 to get in, decent non league ground but no seating unless you take your own. A waft of cannabis over the far terraced area and some decent pubs nearby.

The standard of football is decent and they're a community based and run club.

It's much more preferable than the sanitised, corporate football experienced by fans in the Premier League and Championship (for me anyway).

For some strange reason, I’ve always looked out for Cowdenbeath’s results, since I was a kid. Think it stemmed from reading yrs ago, that their nickname is “The Blue Brazil” 😁
    They play at Central Park, which is just over the Forth Rd Bridge.
    Went up to Edinburgh a few yrs ago, to take in the festival. Made sure it was a week when Cowdenbeath were playing at home, and went to see them.
    Football wasn’t great, but lots of effort from both sides. (They were playing East Fife).
    Had a great day. Spoke to a few beath fans in a pub after the game and exchanged a few footballing stories.
    I will definitely go again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    For some strange reason, I’ve always looked out for Cowdenbeath’s results, since I was a kid. Think it stemmed from reading yrs ago, that their nickname is “The Blue Brazil” 😁
    They play at Central Park, which is just over the Forth Rd Bridge.
    Went up to Edinburgh a few yrs ago, to take in the festival. Made sure it was a week when Cowdenbeath were playing at home, and went to see them.
    Football wasn’t great, but lots of effort from both sides. (They were playing East Fife).
    Had a great day. Spoke to a few beath fans in a pub after the game and exchanged a few footballing stories.
    I will definitely go again in the near future.
    I've been to Cowdenbeath myself when watching Queens Park in some play off game.

Half time I go out for a pie and a piss and run into a load of motor bike heads who were setting up for the speedway which was going on later.

Some decent pubs near the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I've been to Cowdenbeath myself when watching Queens Park in some play off game.

Half time I go out for a pie and a piss and run into a load of motor bike heads who were setting up for the speedway which was going on later.

Some decent pubs near the ground.
    That’s right. Forgot about the speedway track.
    Didn’t Bristol Rovers have one yrs ago as well?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    That’s right. Forgot about the speedway track.
    Didn’t Bristol Rovers have one yrs ago as well?
    Newport Wasps were based at Somerton Park. There were bits of carpet, replacing the grass (if my memory’s not playing tricks) by each corner flag where the bikers had taken sharp bends.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Newport Wasps were based at Somerton Park. There were bits of carpet, replacing the grass (if my memory’s not playing tricks) by each corner flag where the bikers had taken sharp bends.
    Your memory certainly isn't playing tricks - used to work with a woman whose husband (surname Francis) rode for Newport, but the only one I can remember now is Phil Crump.

Just found this, the woman I worked with's husband was called Cyril, so the guy in the photos must be him.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Newport%20Speedway.htm

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Your memory certainly isn't playing tricks - used to work with a woman whose husband (surname Francis) rode for Newport, but the only one I can remember now is Phil Crump.

Just found this, the woman I worked with's husband was called Cyril, so the guy in the photos must be him.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Newport%20Speedway.htm
    And the County footballers of the day included the likes of Laurie Sheffield, Keith Pring, John Bird, Len Weare, remember the names from the Football Echo reports of the day, County always had a decent write up and it was the time when I consumed everything football. I remember the 60s players more clearly than the ones I watched on Match of the Day this morning 😱 One clear memory of a Newport player was a full page write up in the Football League Review ( a decent magazine, free in every City programme), It was about John Rowland, who as well as being a County stalwart also ran the family chip shop in Corporation Rd. I wonder if any player combines playing with frying now? Love a good old reminisce on a Sunday morning 👍