+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all that has been said. If we beat Fulham we will go above them

For all that has been said. If we beat Fulham we will go above them

Let’s hope we do:

Re: For all that has been said. If we beat Fulham we will go above them

What an excellent point.
    This another one of these early season six pointers then !

I think Cardiff City will be promoted , but it won't be pretty or done in the way that some here erroneously think football works. It will be done by grinding out results with agricultural football not trying to play like Real Madrid.

More than half the teams in the league play prettier football than us, and Fulham are the archetypal PSG Tribute Act. Therefore if we can beat them, which we certainly can, that'll be a powerful psychological statement.

We must be strong in defence and exploit the fact that they are STILL weak in defence. Their football purism didn't work as well as our brutal commitment last year in the Premiership and I see no reason why that would be reversed in the Championship. In fact, I think it will only produce a few spectacular moments, a big financial black hole and maybe a play off place.

I'm sure that Sir Neil has noted the strategic importance of this game and will be well prepared for it

I don’t think we will be promoted but reckon we will one of those teams that get it together properly after Christmas, a bit like Fulham did last time. Think I prefer that, than looking over ones shoulder all the time and almost running out of steam, like we did last time, and Swansea and Leeds will this time.....

I’m not convinced Cardiff will go up but top six is definitely a realistic target. The same applies with my boys. If Swansea keep hold of Borja and Ayew then they have a real chance of top two.
    Once we get to ten games the table should be taking shape. It could be a very exciting season.

we couldn't beat them last season when they were really shite :D

I cannot see us beating Fulham in a million years

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    We beat them 4-2 at home last season.

Promotion? no chance .
    Anyone with any pace will take us to the cleaners

If we are not there or thereabouts before Xmas won’t the expectation be a change of Manager ahead of the transfer window?

I expect it will be a game where we end up blaming the ref for something and ignoring that our defence has become a lot worse since last year whereas their attack has become a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I cannot see us beating Fulham in a million years
    You must try harder. Beat them last season at home and they have already lost away to Barnsley. We aren't looking as efficient as 2 years ago but they aren't real Madrid either.

Only room for two real Madrid tribute acts in this division and we are blessed to be in the same division as Leeds and Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Only room for two real Madrid tribute acts in this division and we are blessed to be in the same division as Leeds and Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    What an excellent point.
    This another one of these early season six pointers then !

I think Cardiff City will be promoted , but it won't be pretty or done in the way that some here erroneously think football works. It will be done by grinding out results with agricultural football not trying to play like Real Madrid.

More than half the teams in the league play prettier football than us, and Fulham are the archetypal PSG Tribute Act. Therefore if we can beat them, which we certainly can, that'll be a powerful psychological statement.

We must be strong in defence and exploit the fact that they are STILL weak in defence. Their football purism didn't work as well as our brutal commitment last year in the Premiership and I see no reason why that would be reversed in the Championship. In fact, I think it will only produce a few spectacular moments, a big financial black hole and maybe a play off place.

I'm sure that Sir Neil has noted the strategic importance of this game and will be well prepared for it
    There are a lot of sides in the Championship which play a neat passing game but fail to achieve consistency because they haven't got the talent up front, or don't have the player/s to open sides up, or have defenders who cannot defend for 90 minutes. It looks good, but doesn't achieve much. That's where Warnock's style has merit. Even when we're 'poor' we often create more than our fair share of chances. Fulham have the best striker in this league - if they had the defensive discipline they would walk this league..

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Let’s hope we do:
    If achieved, it would be illusory.

If achieved, then going above them would be very real.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There are a lot of sides in the Championship which play a neat passing game but fail to achieve consistency because they haven't got the talent up front, or don't have the player/s to open sides up, or have defenders who cannot defend for 90 minutes. It looks good, but doesn't achieve much. That's where Warnock's style has merit. Even when we're 'poor' we often create more than our fair share of chances. Fulham have the best striker in this league - if they had the defensive discipline they would walk this league..

That's absolutely correct. The decisive factor will be whether Sir Neil can get the machine running quickly, because we can't afford to fall far behind in this league . I saw some very good signs against Blackburn because it's much more important to keep clean sheets than anything else.

I'm not sure regarding what you said about Fulham though because I doubt whether they can sustain the flash monkey stuff over 46 games and the moment they lose two games they'll sack the manager and the crowd will turn against them. To some extent that's true of Leeds too actually.

I do like the fact that people are writing us off against Fulham, and I'm sure Sir Neil will too. It's surprising how submissive some of our apparent supporters are in the face of a team which we did a lot better than last season and who rely on one of our reserve forwards on loan.

we wont beat Fulham, on current form we would struggle to get the lions share of possession against Halfham

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    We beat them 4-2 at home last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    we wont beat Fulham, on current form we would struggle to get the lions share of possession against Halfham

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I saw some very good signs against Blackburn because it's much more important to keep clean sheets than anything else.
    Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Where have you been ?

They have changed the rules Pete, you can no longer win the game by having more possession than your opponents.
    You need to score more goals than them now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Nonsense.
    Its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Nonsense.
    Agreed. Last season City kept 10 clean sheets, the 8th best record in the division. Even more surprisingly, only 6 teams kept more clean sheets away from home than us. End result? 17th in the away league table and relegation overall.

The fact that only Huddersfield failed to score in more games than us last season was arguably a more contributory factor to our relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Its a start.
    Sure, but that's a long way from clean sheets being more important than anything else.

Last season, Middlesbrough had the joint-best defensive record in the Championship. They finished seventh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Where have you been ?

They have changed the rules Pete, you can no longer win the game by having more possession than your opponents.
    You need to score more goals than them now.
    More goals..? I'd be happy to see our lot score any goals!