+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Warnock's time up?

Is Warnock's time up?

Sorry, I realise that there have been other recent threads on this, but I did want time to reflect on an average start to the season.
    Ok, we haven't add much luck with losing Etheridge, Bamba and now Pack, but it does not look good if a player, who was basically shown the door a season ago is suddenly our Messiah. Teams like Fulham and Leeds have invested wisely over the summer and the football they play is a million miles ahead of ours. Look at Swansea Town, no investment, yet they are playing a brand of football that we could only dream of.
    I think we will be ok this season, maybe even pushing top 6, but somehow I feel that we need more than that. We need a change of direction even if it means drawing breath in this league for a couple of seasons.
    Warnock has been fantastic for us and will be difficult to replace. I think he made a mistake by saying he would be off if we were not challenging at Xmas. That sort of statement can have an effect on players, resulting in the performance we had v Reading.
    No, Neil should have gracefully retired in the Summer. Would have been best for all concerned.

Re: Is Warnock's time up?

If Neil's successor had gathered 7 points from 15 against teams that are unlikely to threaten top 6 then there would be more pressure on the new manager than the current one.

The fundamentals of the team don't change. Average scouting, poor progression from within and a style of play that means that any new face would have challenges in getting the instant results we demand since we became a bit of a yo-yo club. The immediate problem as far as I can see is that when a group realises that it's leader's authority diminishes by the month (and his loyal support know they go with him) then motivation goes as well. Players get less scared or respectful of him each week that we progress or plateau.

If we are neither threatening promotion or relegation by Christmas then I think the best option is a new manager that has the players for a number of months and is able to have the time and space to shape something for next year.

Warnock is for the 'Now' and it's to the detrement to the club and our progression. I know this might sound harsh but it's like doing a botch job on your own house, it'll look good for a while but you know that you'll have to undo it all in the short term and start again, probably at more cost and definitely more time.

This thread comes a few days after the Director of Football thread and if you asked me which is needed more a) Warnock leaving before his planned end date this summer or b) identifying and hiring the correct Director of Football then I would definitely say option b). The squad will need a big overhaul before we can play like Leeds do under Bielsa - Warnock is partly to blame with a reported £6million being spent on Flint - and part of that will be bringing in players from youth team and improving scouting network. This is all behaviour which can be set up while Warnock provides relative stability but means it would be a massive challenge to a new manager if we haven't yet, at least, secured Championship football next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Sorry, I realise that there have been other recent threads on this, but I did want time to reflect on an average start to the season.
    Ok, we haven't add much luck with losing Etheridge, Bamba and now Pack, but it does not look good if a player, who was basically shown the door a season ago is suddenly our Messiah. Teams like Fulham and Leeds have invested wisely over the summer and the football they play is a million miles ahead of ours. Look at Swansea Town, no investment, yet they are playing a brand of football that we could only dream of.
    I think we will be ok this season, maybe even pushing top 6, but somehow I feel that we need more than that. We need a change of direction even if it means drawing breath in this league for a couple of seasons.
    Warnock has been fantastic for us and will be difficult to replace. I think he made a mistake by saying he would be off if we were not challenging at Xmas. That sort of statement can have an effect on players, resulting in the performance we had v Reading.
    No, Neil should have gracefully retired in the Summer. Would have been best for all concerned.
    Leeds havent invested wisely at all - they havent signed anyone except someone from Carlisle for an undisclosed fee. They are relying on their squad from last season but have also sold a number of players including Roofe and Janssen, two of their best players. Fulham have spent but have also sold Sessegnon and Seri. Look where spending £120m got them last season. I am confident that we will finish above both of them. I dont get this 'love in' with teams like them.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Leeds havent invested wisely at all - they havent signed anyone except someone from Carlisle for an undisclosed fee. They are relying on their squad from last season but have also sold a number of players including Roofe and Janssen, two of their best players. Fulham have spent but have also sold Sessegnon and Seri. Look where spending £120m got them last season. I am confident that we will finish above both of them. I dont get this 'love in' with teams like them.
    Want to bet?

Nor me

Is his time up ?

Christ no , have a word with yourselves

Bookmarked. Hope you're right but cannot set it at all.

They signed Helda Costa on loan with a view to permanent from Wolves and also sold one of their best young players to Spurs and got him back on loan. So yes, they have been shrewd.

We’ve signed 2 players from Oxford who look out of their depth and a B-tec Niasse in Glatzel.

We will not be finishing above Leeds. That is a fact.

Maybe it's too early to tell withal the injuries we've had. We are missing a number of players at the moment, Etheridge, Bamba, Paterson, Pack, NML, Richards, and Peltier has missed one game too. And we've lost Arter, Camarasa, Niasse, Gunnarsson, Zohore and Manga so the new squd will take a bit of time to settle. once again , i'm not happy with what the club has done in the transfer market, Day and Nelson on free, Whyte £2m from Oxford, Flint at £6m and Vassell at £2m seem a bit of a poor man's choice of signing except for the fees. Same for Vaulks at £2m and Glatzel at £5.5. Maybe if we sign a couple of extra out of contract players to bolster the squad that may help, the rumour about Ledley and with Traore training with the club, will give us a bit of strength in depth. But we are now relying on Tomlin (who I actually like) and Bogle (like him too)to save games for us. It shows how far backward we have gone.

I'm also not sure who scouts these players, is it Warnock and his contacts? Or others? Still we have not recruited well in my book.

Mind you the style of play is not great but we are capable of playing decent football but with so many new players it'll take a bit of setting in.

Warnock saved us from relegation , got us promoted , nearly kept us up and within a few games of the new season people are getting the knives out

Its like a spoilt brats south Wales man united forum on here sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    They signed Helda Costa on loan with a view to permanent from Wolves and also sold one of their best young players to Spurs and got him back on loan. So yes, they have been shrewd.

We’ve signed 2 players from Oxford who look out of their depth and a B-tec Niasse in Glatzel.

We will not be finishing above Leeds. That is a fact.
    We will win the ruck outside 🥊🏊

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Warnock saved us from relegation , got us promoted , nearly kept us up and within a few games of the new season people are getting the knives out

Its like a spoilt brats south Wales man united forum on here sometimes
    saved us from relegation????????????

Yes, it's not straightforward, is it?
    Just my feeling that Warnock's time has run its course. Injuries have been bad, but signings compared with one or two others not exactly inspiring.
    Our football will not have the impact it had in our promotion season. We'll be ok and I'm not asking for a revolution, but a gradual change in terms of play, recruitment, bringing young players through. That can only be done with new management.

For me, it's not a case of getting the knives out for Warnock. It's about the longer term future of the club. I fully appreciate what he did in turning the club around and winning an unlikely promotion.

However, I don't believe that merits a job for life. The club will be looking for a new manager at some point over the next year, probably with a different philosophy who will want to make changes.

Why keep Warnock on? Chance of promotion? Then what? Ask him to relegate us again? Promotion then retirement. Nice that a new manager has to sort things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For me, it's not a case of getting the knives out for Warnock. It's about the longer term future of the club. I fully appreciate what he did in turning the club around and winning an unlikely promotion.

However, I don't believe that merits a job for life. The club will be looking for a new manager at some point over the next year, probably with a different philosophy who will want to make changes.

Why keep Warnock on? Chance of promotion? Then what? Ask him to relegate us again? Promotion then retirement. Nice that a new manager has to sort things out.
    If you're Alex Ferguson at Manchester United you earn the right to pick and choose when you go, I don't see what Neil Warnock has done to deserve such an honour at Cardiff, but, essentially, that it what is happening. I accept this is a brutal view, but, for all of the talk of how he nearly kept us up last season, the truth is that he did what he has done all of his career - prove that he is a poor First Division/Premier League manager.

Although it meant ditching the concept of the "Cardiff Way" before it had been given much of a chance, we needed a Neil Warnock type back in 2016, but, increasingly it seems to me, it is becoming clearer that we need something different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    We were go8ng down the season he turned up here, for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If you're Alex Ferguson at Manchester United you earn the right to pick and choose when you go, I don't see what Neil Warnock has done to deserve such an honour at Cardiff, but, essentially, that it what is happening. I accept this is a brutal view, but, for all of the talk of how he nearly kept us up last season, the truth is that he did what he has done all of his career - prove that he is a poor First Division/Premier League manager.

Although it meant ditching the concept of the "Cardiff Way" before it had been given much of a chance, we needed a Neil Warnock type back in 2016, but, increasingly it seems to me, it is becoming clearer that we need something different now.
    Possibly true, shame we didn’t have a young keen manager like bellers coming through under him, albeit different styles for sure, you can learn a lot about mgt from Neil I’m sure....

I think this post from beginning to end is a load of crap! For christ's sake give the man a chance. It's not the best start to a season that we could have wished for but taking into account injuries and i don't think we've done too bad. Let's wait and see what the end of season brings and no matter what happens Warnock will be gone into retirement and as long as City are still in the Championship division or even better in the promised land of the Premiership who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I think this post from beginning to end is a load of crap! For christ's sake give the man a chance. It's not the best start to a season that we could have wished for but taking into account injuries and i don't think we've done too bad. Let's wait and see what the end of season brings and no matter what happens Warnock will be gone into retirement and as long as City are still in the Championship division or even better in the promised land of the Premiership who cares.
    What would the reaction of the Board be if Neil Warnock announced in May that he wanted one more year to either get that ninth promotion or prove he can manage in the Premier League - I'm certainly not taking it for granted that this will be his last season.

you've gone soft, noodles

Regarding Warnock's retirement i have only stated what i have read online and if we should get promoted to the promised land of the Premiership i don't think i myself or anyone else could blame Warnock if he decided to have one last attempt at being a successful Premiership manager something that has always eluded him in the past. Surely the club must be looking or have already decided upon his successor? Who would you like to succeed Warnock if and when he does retire?

Regarding Warnock's retirement i have only stated what i have read online and if we should get promoted to the promised land of the Premiership i don't think i myself or anyone else could blame Warnock if he decided to have one last attempt at being a successful Premiership manager something that has always eluded him in the past. Surely the club must be looking or have already decided upon his successor? Who would you like to succeed Warnock if and when he does retire?
    Alf Stewart, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Yeah you know, when he joined us in October with nearly a full season to play. That near relegation 😂