+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Home grown goalkeepers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Home grown goalkeepers

Been watching barry town this season and George ratcliffe is on loan from the city academy. I think he is 18 and is in wales under 21 squad.

As I walking away from the game on Friday some of the barry stalwarts were overheard saying things such as “different class that lad” and “can’t believe we’ve got him here”.

He certainly looks very competent to me, can kick a good 70 yards effortlessly so Warnock probably likes him!

Anyway he’s a young kid and we know keepers develop later generally. It got me thinking are we the worst at producing young keepers? Who have we had? Andy dibble over 30 years ago must have been the last professional standard this area produced?

Re: Home grown goalkeepers

Mel Rees in the 80s too.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Been watching barry town this season and George ratcliffe is on loan from the city academy. I think he is 18 and is in wales under 21 squad.

As I walking away from the game on Friday some of the barry stalwarts were overheard saying things such as “different class that lad” and “can’t believe we’ve got him here”.

He certainly looks very competent to me, can kick a good 70 yards effortlessly so Warnock probably likes him!

Anyway he’s a young kid and we know keepers develop later generally. It got me thinking are we the worst at producing young keepers? Who have we had? Andy dibble over 30 years ago must have been the last professional standard this area produced?
    Let's face it, there can't be many worse than us at producing home anythings!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We use to in the good old days, Graham Veacombe, Dilwyn John,Mel Rees and Andy Dibble! Less face it we had no home grown players in the last 10 years whereas the Jacks blooded 7 last season! The Academy has got to be completely revamped by our new DOF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    We use to in the good old days, Graham Veacombe, Dilwyn John,Mel Rees and Andy Dibble! Less face it we had no home grown players in the last 10 years whereas the Jacks blooded 7 last season! The Academy has got to be completely revamped by our new DOF!
    Agree generally but specifically on goalkeepers I can't remember the last time before Freddie Woodman where Swansea appeared with a goalkeeper with a British sounding name, let alone someone homegrown.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Agree generally but specifically on goalkeepers I can't remember the last time before Freddie Woodman where Swansea appeared with a goalkeeper with a British sounding name, let alone someone homegrown.
    Roger Freestone

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Roger Freestone
    I said British, not Newport!

Didn't we revamp the academy when/just after Warnock joined? Didn't part of the academy just come top of their league? The answer isn't necessarily that the academy players aren't useful just that, for whatever reason, they haven't made the next step. It's likely that a DoF, although the Jacks are doing just fine without one, is more important than yet another revamp.

Interesting discussion regarding the WRU trying to get rugby going in the north and how this may impact on welsh football - specifically that large, muscular and agile describes a youth goalie as much as it does a rugby player - on BBC Wales radio within the last year so maybe the south needs to start producing some goalies also.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    + 1, I couldn't agree more.

Something needs to be done about the way that a class 1 academy can take players from a class 2 academy, seemingly at will.

Don’t forget the unfortunate Lyn Davies who picked the ball out of the net 32 times in 6 games for Cardiff City and Wales U23s

Remember when James Wood was supposed to leave City to go on to big and better things?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tsteps-2096134

Yeah.... his career went well.