+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bury and Bolton

Bury and Bolton

Is this the chickens coming home to roost? I would think most clubs these days are operating at some form of loss, and with the Premiership attracting the chunky end of the money wedge I'm guessing that these two teams won't be the last. What all this says to me is that the Football League's 'proper and fit' tests seem woefully inadequate.

Re: Bury and Bolton

I think that's what happens when clubs get mismanaged buy owners who run up debt in the club's name and then decide they've had enough. They always borrow money in the club's name not their own and it's the club and fans that ultimately suffer. We are lucky with VT at our club, at least he is writing off debt , forgoing interest on loans. One day no doubt he will go but seems an honourable man and would not walk away and leave us in the lurch. His financial input has kept us alive.

I do feel sorry for Bolton and Bury, it's time owners realised they are juts custodians of the clubs they use as playthings.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think that's what happens when clubs get mismanaged buy owners who run up debt in the club's name and then decide they've had enough. They always borrow money in the club's name not their own and it's the club and fans that ultimately suffer. We are lucky with VT at our club, at least he is writing off debt , forgoing interest on loans. One day no doubt he will go but seems an honourable man and would not walk away and leave us in the lurch. His financial input has kept us alive.

I do feel sorry for Bolton and Bury, it's time owners realised they are juts custodians of the clubs they use as playthings.
    Is it just the owners to blame?

A market where fee and wage inflation is like nothing else and a constant demand of making marquee signings by the fans.

It could have been us.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

A market where fee and wage inflation is like nothing else and a constant demand of making marquee signings by the fans.

It could have been us.
    A different slant on the possible reasons https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gg-lane-brexit

It’s Man City’s fault

It could have been us.
    Yes. Steve Dale is a crook. The EFL are an absolute disgrace for letting him ride roughshod over Bury as well. Zero checks were made and the fans have been alarmed by his ownership since day 1.

It could have been us.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...loans-car-park

The inside story of Bury’s road to financial ruin

Why is it the clubs debt? If Mr or Mrs money bags decides their new toy is going to be a football club, they should not be allowed to load a club with millions of debt. The debt is HIS or Hers not the clubs! Look at Manchester United loaded with debt, as far as I can tell the owners are buying the club by using the clubs money. If the FA and Premier league had real rules for owners, perhaps real world wages and transfer fees would prevail. How many owners would be willing to pay 400-500k a week if they are liable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...football-clubs

The end of David Squires' weekly strip in The Guardian covers this rather succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ianto73 View Post
    Why is it the clubs debt? If Mr or Mrs money bags decides their new toy is going to be a football club, they should not be allowed to load a club with millions of debt. The debt is HIS or Hers not the clubs! Look at Manchester United loaded with debt, as far as I can tell the owners are buying the club by using the clubs money. If the FA and Premier league had real rules for owners, perhaps real world wages and transfer fees would prevail. How many owners would be willing to pay 400-500k a week if they are liable.
    Because most are owned via an llc or
    Limited company, more often than not these days they are also based abroad.

I'd love there to be a more realistic structure for wages and transfer fees but that horse has bolted and isn't coming back in one piece.

Clubs have folded in the past, more will go in the future.

Most clubs are in existence purely down to owners who accept that losing their money is the norm. When those benefactors dry up or when the debts rise to unmanageable levels it is inevitable that the existence of many clubs is seriously at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Most clubs are in existence purely down to owners who accept that losing their money is the norm. When those benefactors dry up or when the debts rise to unmanageable levels it is inevitable that the existence of many clubs is seriously at risk.
    What you is true, but in both these cases there was serious dodgy dealings going on.
    Sam anyone?

We are so lucky to have Tan who is only worth £600m but has put £100m into our club! Let’s hope he doesn’t get fed up and pull the plug as I don’t see a queue of Billionaires ready to take over?

It could have easily been us on a number of occasions. It's always the fans, at least some of them, who are left to pick up the pieces when the football league and owner gets to walk away. However, I wonder if Newcastle fans are a little less likely to confuse transfer fees with a sign of ambition going forward?