+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Give Warnock until the Hull game.

Re: Give Warnock until the Hull game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can I ask if any of those defending Neil Warnock in this thread were at last night's match?
    With respect that is the most ludicrous question to ask. Are you really suggesting that only those who attended last night's match are entitled to an opinion?

For the record I didn't go. I didn't think it was worth travelling for 300 miles and a possible overnight stay to watch a match against a side we have already played. Indeed there are many long distance travellers like me who didn't attend but are not entitled to an opinion according to the inference in the question.

I was at the game and it was crap like 85% of the season so far.
    I wanted Warnock gone at the end of last season but to be honest the people above him that have little football knowledge took the easy option and kept him on.
    It was the ideal time for him to go, a new manager would have had parachute payments and not too much expectation on their shoulders they could have changed the whole ethos of the club from academy to first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Of course, but no one can really say where we will finish yet, we've played 5 league matches with 41 to go. By his own admission if promotion isn't happening he will leave before the end of the season, even if he doesn't the board need to be looking.
    I would expect they are looking at it now.

Knowing that lot they've put a tentative offer to Richard Branson and put the feelers out for Alf Ramsey.

That is the one downside of Warnock going. The Laurel and Hardy set up behind the scenes charged with replacing him.

Last night showed how paper thin the squad is witH Etheridge, Bamba, NML and Pack out injured and Paterson not looking fit at all (or even looking like a footballer). I never liked Warnock until he came to us, still don't very much, but do admire what he did in his first season and then to get us up two years ago was incredible. Fulham had that amazing run and still couldn't catch us.

Last season was poor and we got relegated and this season hasn't started well. His transfer windows, the last 4 haven;'t gone too well with millions wasted on players who are not even regulars (I exclude Etheridge). I am also fed up of this plucky underdog routine he goes on about. That attitude cost us and he's at it again already saying we should to hang on to the coat tails of Leeds etc, he'll be lucky if we do.

Also when we got promoted, his speeches along the lines of 'when I got here look where the club was' 'I did this'. Well Neil you also took us down and have us playing shit football with a tactic last night of get it back to Flint and hoof it up the front. Time tot go. I don';t see why all the love ins with him, other managers have got us promoted, Mackay, Lawrence, Cork (I think), May, Burrows, Ashurst, Andrews etc but nobody recognises them as much. Dave Jones had us playing the best football I've seen at Cardiff since about 1970 and everybody moans about him because 1) we didn't get up 2) He was miserable.

Can I ask if any of those defending Neil Warnock in this thread were at last night's match?
    No one needed to be there to watch the reserves trying some experiments in a competition which doesn't matter to us, including giving a full 90 mins to some bench players.

A remarkable number of people here, ( who seem to understand very little about the game frankly), seem to think that if Sir Neil left then Jurgen Klopp or Mourhinio someone would step in and we'd commence a policy of sunshine football which would very soon see us in the Champions League. After all, it's only the manager and his inexperience stopping that, isn't it ?

I mean, we were doing all that and dominating the big clubs before he came along and spoiled it all ,weren't we ?

Not as if he's had us punching above our weight or anything, is it ?

Now, let's tune into Reality FM for a moment . This is a pied piper situation, and the likely outcome of losing the manager, chairman or owner would be to go down like a lead balloon. The reality is that they've jointly taken the club to new heights which had seemed unimaginable for over 50 years , but that the millennial generation demands instant gratification without reference to practical considerations and has no connection to the concept of self preservation in a competitive world, and it now seems that a few simple souls who are old enough to know better have joined them in their suicudal delusions of grandeur and illusions that we have the resources to compete with Manchester City on their own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No one needed to be there to watch the reserves trying some experiments in a competition which doesn't matter to us, including giving a full 90 mins to some bench players.

A remarkable number of people here, ( who seem to understand very little about the game frankly), seem to think that if Sir Neil left then Jurgen Klopp or Mourhinio someone would step in and we'd commence a policy of sunshine football which would very soon see us in the Champions League. After all, it's only the manager and his inexperience stopping that, isn't it ?

I mean, we were doing all that and dominating the big clubs before he came along and spoiled it all ,weren't we ?

Now, let's tune into Reality FM for a moment . This is a pied piper situation, and the likely outcome of losing the manager, chairman or owner would be to go down like a lead balloon. The reality is that they've jointly taken the club to new heights which had seemed unimaginable for over 50 years , but that the millennial generation demands instant gratification without reference to practical considerations and has no connection to the concept of self preservation in a competitive world, and it now seems that a few simple souls who are old enough to know better have joined them in their suicudal delusions of grandeur and illusions that we have the resources to compete with Manchester City on their own terms.
    Or maybe they are pissed of with hoofball and excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What, in your opinion of what you have seen of them, makes you think they'll be vital parts of a promotion push? Just curious.
    I know little about them outside of what I've seen first hand and read from their former clubs fans.

Think Whyte has played the most and that's less than a handful of apps in the league.

How could anyone form a full opinion of a player after that unless it's for the sake of it.

People can say they are crap if they want, but none of us really know. Personally I won't be binning them off because they previously played for Oxford and haven't turned in eye catching performances in their first few matches here. Some will and I guess that's ok too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    No manager could do any better with that squad. The players bought on the cheap are clearly not up to it even though I guess Luton's squad cost far less. Warnock is a good man manager but his transfer dealings have been very poor.
    On the cheap? Our centre halves cost us £11 million! Murphy cost us £10 million+, Glatzel £6 million, Tomlin £1.5million and many more.

Nothing has been done on the cheap it's just we've wasted what we have.

After they have played a few times for us. Ok.

Very romantic.

As for the new heights the club has reached, how much progress do you feel we've made since that sunny day when we won promotion against Reading?

You mean the manager that got us promoted 4 years after we got promoted last time?

How about we're stagnating and could do better? I hate this "we were sh-t 30 years ago so what are you whining about". The fact is, we're not sh-t now. Do you think Man City's owners think, "we were in League One in 2000, so let's enjoy the ride"? Of course they don't. We're a big club in Championship terms and have to start acting like one. We're an utter shambles off the pitch, as shown by our transfer activity for about the 5th window on the spin. Marlon Pack was signed after the deadline and then he's probably our most important player. It's embarrassing.

To add to that, if this is Warnock's last year, there is no point in keeping him if we're midtable in November. We might as well get the pieces in to get a Director of Football/Head of Recruitment and a new manager to implement a new style of play. I'm not asking for much, I'm just asking we become semi competent. At the moment, this is Warnock's club and there's going to be a massive culture shock when he leaves. If we can address those changes in the middle of a "nothing" season, then the ootential damage will be hopefully limited.

After they have played a few times for us. Ok.
    I know little about them outside of what I've seen first hand
    Excellent. So, from what you've seen, what makes you think they'll be a major part of a promotion push?

Did you need to go down to know how that one would likely go?

If you had asked I could have saved you a tenner.

I think it's fair for people to form an opinion over his three years at the club.

Vindec, Bob (I think) and I were trying to convey how poor last night's effort (if I can use that word) was.

Early stages we did okay but our 'strikers' couldn't compose themselves in front of goal.

After the Hoilett own goal any belief we had disappeared.

The impression given was that they didn't care what happened. A supporter, near me in the Ninian, asked the question "Where's your pride?". A very good question.

If Neil can get them up for Fulham he will dispel the feeling that I, and others, have that he has "lost the dressing room".

I sincerely hope that 'we' are wrong and that the team spirit and desire that got us promoted hasn't disappeared.

I think it's fair for people to form an opinion over his three years at the club.
    It's also fair of people form their opinions on what's been going on this season. It has not gone well and we've sold our best players without replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    On the cheap? Our centre halves cost us £11 million! Murphy cost us £10 million+, Glatzel £6 million, Tomlin £1.5million and many more.

This is exactly right. We've spent a fair amount of money on what is a large squad with some quality players. Also it's not as if he's inherited this squad - he's had a fair few windows to shape it. Warnocks favourite line from last year of "little old Cardiff with limited players" doesn't wash any more in the Championship.

He did an excellent job the first season and a half but Warnockball now seems to have been sussed out by our opponents. Watching his brand of football in a successful side is fine but the combination of poor football and poor results isn't a great combination.

A change is needed whether it's tactics or personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

This.

People seem to buy into the lowly Cardiff, underdog, great bunch of lads battling on tripe that Warnock trots out time and again.

He could have had half an excuse when he came through the door. Having been given 5 transfer windows, enough money to improve us considerably and wasted the majority of it he certainly hasn't now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Excellent. So, from what you've seen, what makes you think they'll be a major part of a promotion push?
    I think you have read what I put in my last post. I haven't seen anywhere near enough of them to really judge them. Club scouts clearly have seen more, I personally haven't.

Only Whyte has had decent time in the league, he has done nothing to either impress me in that time or make me think he has no chance at this level. Probably because he has appeared in 4 matches.

I don't know where I've said they would be vital parts of a promotion pushing squad.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    This.

People seem to buy into the lowly Cardiff, underdog, great bunch of lads battling on tripe that Warnock trots out time and again.

He could have had half an excuse when he came through the door. Having been given 5 transfer windows, enough money to improve us considerably and wasted the majority of it he certainly hasn't now.
    These are all fair points. "On the cheap" was meant to mean in comparison to others when we were in the Premier League and when relegated the replacements we bought were relatively cheap alternatives to the very good Gunnarson and Manga. Of course the money wasted on players such as Madine, Bobby Reid and Murphy has been little more than scandalous and the recruitment of the Oxford players has been bizarre. So much money has been chucked away, as I acknowledged, and especially so when those on the pitch last night probably cost a lot more than their Luton counterparts.

However, we are where we are and to get rid of Warnock now with the squad we have would probably be a huge mistake as the new incumbent would have to work with the players we have running the risk of possibly taking us back to the days of Russel Slade and Trolope. But I don't think you needed to attend last night's match to be able to express an opinion as was indicated in a later post.

With respect that is the most ludicrous question to ask. Are you really suggesting that only those who attended last night's match are entitled to an opinion?

For the record I didn't go. I didn't think it was worth travelling for 300 miles and a possible overnight stay to watch a match against a side we have already played. Indeed there are many long distance travellers like me who didn't attend but are not entitled to an opinion according to the inference in the question.
    No, I'm saying that if you didn't go, the devotion to the Warnock cause becomes a bit more understandable - last night was terrible and, given that we were up against a much weaker Luton side on paper than they one we beat recently, I would rank it as embarrassing as the 3-0 home loss to Bournemouth in 2014.

I'm certain that people would not have been as ready to write it off as a meaningless defeat in a nothing competition if they had been there to see how abject we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You mean the manager that got us promoted 4 years after we got promoted last time?

How about we're stagnating and could do better? I hate this "we were sh-t 30 years ago so what are you whining about". The fact is, we're not sh-t now. Do you think Man City's owners think, "we were in League One in 2000, so let's enjoy the ride"? Of course they don't. We're a big club in Championship terms and have to start acting like one. We're an utter shambles off the pitch, as shown by our transfer activity for about the 5th window on the spin. Marlon Pack was signed after the deadline and then he's probably our most important player. It's embarrassing.

To add to that, if this is Warnock's last year, there is no point in keeping him if we're midtable in November. We might as well get the pieces in to get a Director of Football/Head of Recruitment and a new manager to implement a new style of play. I'm not asking for much, I'm just asking we become semi competent. At the moment, this is Warnock's club and there's going to be a massive culture shock when he leaves. If we can address those changes in the middle of a "nothing" season, then the ootential damage will be hopefully limited.

hy should it be likely to go like that though? People talk as if it is only us that plays weakened sides in these games, but most of the sides who have embarrassed us in recent years have also done so. There were very few players in the Luton side that looked as uncomfortable in possession as the likes of Flint, Nelson, Vaulks, Paterson, Whyte, Bogle and Vassell did for us - these are all players with more experience than or who have played more first team football this season than many in the Luton team.

Here's the bottom line.
    Either Sir Neil will get his ducks in a row very quickly, perhaps in time for Fulham, in which case we'll rise up the league and the half wits will stop their jibbering, or he won't , in which case he'll leave and we'll go back into obscurity for the foreseeable future.

He and Vincent Tan will have to be strong men indeed to bear the dead weight of these negative whiners through a bad patch, or they might just decide to walk away from it and leave us on the road to Bolton.

All that complete waffle in reply to one simple question - one thing all of that waffle does mind is prove the point I was trying to make when I asked the question.

These are all fair points. "On the cheap" was meant to mean in comparison to others when we were in the Premier League and when relegated the replacements we bought were relatively cheap alternatives to the very good Gunnarson and Manga. Of course the money wasted on players such as Madine, Bobby Reid and Murphy has been little more than scandalous and the recruitment of the Oxford players has been bizarre. So much money has been chucked away, as I acknowledged, and especially so when those on the pitch last night probably cost a lot more than their Luton counterparts.

However, we are where we are and to get rid of Warnock now with the squad we have would probably be a huge mistake as the new incumbent would have to work with the players we have running the risk of possibly taking us back to the days of Russel Slade and Trolope. But I don't think you needed to attend last night's match to be able to express an opinion as was indicated in a later post.
    One of the players from Oxford was free - and the other we signed for 2-2.5m and Oxford fans were absolutely livid and thought we'd robbed them at that price. And arguably I don't think we'd played either of them in their preferred position yet.

Now, let's tune into Reality FM for a moment .The reality is that they've jointly taken the club to new heights which had seemed unimaginable for over 50 years , but that the millennial generation demands instant gratification without reference to practical considerations and has no connection to the concept of self preservation in a competitive world, and it now seems that a few simple souls who are old enough to know better have joined them in their suicudal delusions of grandeur and illusions that we have the resources to compete with Wigan, Reading, Blackburn & Luton on their own terms.
    Fixed it for you