+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte v Kadeem Harris

Gavin Whyte v Kadeem Harris

2m spunked on Whyte and we let Harris go....for free! ! (Yes, i know his contract had run out but im sure he would have stayed if asked).

I know which one i'd prefer.

Somebody at Cardiff City needs shooting!

Re: Gavin Whyte v Kadeem Harris

Harris wasn't good enough. Whyte might not be but Harris has had 7 and a half seasons to prove himself and he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Harris wasn't good enough. Whyte might not be but Harris has had 7 and a half seasons to prove himself and he didn't.
    Not good enough for what exactly? The Championship, where he is clearly excelling for Sheffield Wednesday (early days I know).

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    2m spunked on Whyte and we let Harris go....for free! ! (Yes, i know his contract had run out but im sure he would have stayed if asked).

Why are you sure he would have stayed. He has been here 7 years and he has never really played regular football, surely in a case like this the player must feel a change is necessary, and then the move has done him the world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC99 View Post
    Not good enough for what exactly? The Championship, where he is clearly excelling for Sheffield Wednesday (early days I know).
    You have seen Kadeem Harris play for Cardiff, haven't you? He wasn't very good and perhaps a change of scenery will do him some good.

He took a while to progress but in 2016-17 he was a regular in the first team and played well. Injuries ruined the following year and he was a bit part player in the Prem.

I like Kadeem. He could beat a player that's for sure but his crosses tended to fly straight over the penalty box.
    Whyte is a tidy player but could end up a bit part player aswell when NML is fit again.

Kadeem is good enough at this level but he had his time here and was never really fancied by a few of the managers.

Sometimes you only improve and find your feet after a move. Nobody would have been calling for him to come into the squad were he still in the reserves.

Whyte may not turn out any better, but he is young and he could yet be a good player, he has played what 4 or 5 times for us. 2m for a young international capped player isn't much.

As bizarre and unlikely as this sounds, I was chatting to a Wednesday fan when I was watching the Fraserburgh - Fort William game. He asked me why we sold Harris. I said I didn't know. He was very impressed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    As bizarre and unlikely as this sounds, I was chatting to a Wednesday fan when I was watching the Fraserburgh - Fort William game. He asked me why we sold Harris. I said I didn't know. He was very impressed with him.
    we didnt sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We didn't sell him. He was out of contract and had only played 79 times in the 7.5 years that he had been at the club.

I eluded to this on another thread

I think most people feel, wrongly or rightly, that if Kadeem had been given the same chances as some of the other wingers he would have excelled at this level. I don't think he ever let us down and just needed a run of games. Some of his MOM performances for Wednesday certainly show he is capable at this level.

This issue for me is that we have replaced him in the squad with someone who currently looks a long way from even matching Harris let alone surpassing his ability.

If we had let Harris go and replaced him with someone who is making an impact then it would be fair enough, sadly though that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I eluded to this on another thread

I think most people feel, wrongly or rightly, that if Kadeem had been given the same chances as some of the other wingers he would have excelled at this level. I don't think he ever let us down and just needed a run of games. Some of his MOM performances for Wednesday certainly show he is capable at this level.

This issue for me is that we have replaced him in the squad with someone who currently looks a long way from even matching Harris let alone surpassing his ability.

If we had let Harris go and replaced him with someone who is making an impact then it would be fair enough, sadly though that isn't the case.
    Harris had an entire season under Warnock and didn't really pull up trees. We've also got three better wingers than Harris.

Harris had an entire season under Warnock and didn't really pull up trees. We've also got three better wingers than Harris.
    Fair point but what flair players do pull up trees under Warnock (maybe victor?)

Harris IS pulling up trees at Wednesday though - so his ability isn't in question.

In terms of three better wingers... I am yet to be convinced that NML can last a whole season and perform consistently and that Murphy can be more consistent with and end product. But let's see.

Fair point but what flair players do pull up trees under Warnock (maybe victor?)

Harris IS pulling up trees at Wednesday though - so his ability isn't in question.

In terms of three better wingers... I am yet to be convinced that NML can last a whole season and perform consistently and that Murphy can be more consistent with and end product. But let's see.
    His ability is in question, we've seen him for years and he wasn't very good. Murphy, NML and Hoilett are definitely better than Harris. Harris has played well for a handful of games for Wednesday, I've seen him 50 plus times and he falls over in one game more often than he's scored in his entire career.

Harris has been here forever and done what? A couple of fast runs down the wing? The odd goal.....another zohore

His ability is in question, we've seen him for years and he wasn't very good. Murphy, NML and Hoilett are definitely better than Harris. Harris has played well for a handful of games for Wednesday, I've seen him 50 plus times and he falls over in one game more often than he's scored in his entire career.
    I’ve seen him quite a bit and I think he hasn’t had a run of games that would be required to see the best of him

However... are you really happy that his squad place is currently taken by Whyte?

Whyte v Harris

Low wage v high wage .

New prospect v established prospect .

Not injury v injury prone .

Wanting to be at club v not wanting to be .

Agents v Agent.

23 year old prospect v 26 should be first teamer by now .

Whyte is learning v Harris who should be 15 goals per season by now .

I’ve seen him quite a bit and I think he hasn’t had a run of games that would be required to see the best of him

However... are you really happy that his squad place is currently taken by Whyte?
    Harris had 37 games in 2016/17. He scored 4 goals and then asked for big money and nobody else was interested. He isn't good enough. Releasing him was not a mistake.

Whyte has played 4(?) games. I don't rate him at all but I'm not going to write someone off after a month. At the moment signing him looks a mistake however the two have absolutely no correlation. Whyte should not be judged against Harris, who wasn't good enough. He should be judged against Hoilett, Murphy and NML. At the moment, he looks very poor in comparison to those three.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I like Kadeem. He could beat a player that's for sure but his crosses tended to fly straight over the penalty box.
    Whyte is a tidy player but could end up a bit part player aswell when NML is fit again.
    Can't say his play was any worse than Murphy if I'm honest.

Murphy is not exactly known for his accuracy on crosses. He also seems to have the Josh Low gift of being able to beat a man at ease and then obliterate somebody's Clark's pie in the Canton on delivery of a cross in one fluid movement.

What surprises me time and again is that our management seem to dig out players for things they do not do or persistently do badly. Things they did when they were at their former club and we seem unable to coach out of them.
    The question remains why we would spend so much on players with so many flaws?

I think Harris had 4 League starts in the last two seasons, which says it all. Two years ago he and his dad were pushing for big money, which apparently the club gave in to in the prospect they could maybe make some money on him. It didn't work out so this time he was released. I wish him well, but as said above 70 odd games in 7.5 years and most of this from the bench. Right decision. OK Whyte doesn't seem up to it at the moment but you never know, we are buying unknown quantities at this level now. More charity shop than Aldi these days!

when i see the name Kadeem Harris on here always reminds me of the Derby away game a few years ago on valentines night .He scored a brace and played really well . After that performance thought he would go on and be a real key player for us in the coming seasons . how wrong i was !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_X3ufCxgBE

one of the best aways that season . only here cause we're single

That's your opinion. One I totally disagree with. What little I saw of Kadeem I saw a player who had talent if someone gave him a chance. Unfortunately our manager never fancied him. Our loss is most definitely Wednesdays gain.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    That's your opinion. One I totally disagree with. What little I saw of Kadeem I saw a player who had talent if someone gave him a chance. Unfortunately our manager never fancied him. Our loss is most definitely Wednesdays gain.
    We've had lots of managers in Harris' time. None of them fancied him.

Frustratingly Kads never fulfilled his true potential whilst here, but he might do at Sheffield Wednesday. I liked him as he always LOOKED like he was going to make something happen.

I think that it is rather early to be judging Whyte though!!