+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Johnson seeks to prorogue Parliament.

Re: Johnson seeks to prorogue Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    The crazy thing is that Johnson's cabal are banking on Corbyn falling into this trap and it shows every sign that he is stupid enough to fall for it.

I wouldn't underestimate how effective the war strategists behind Johnson are. A combination of out Brexiting the Brexit party on the EU and out promising the Labour Party on spending on the very institutions that the people making the promises starved for almost a decade has a good chance of succeeding. They think the opposition is more fractured than they are.

Still, it is a pretty high risk strategy. They could lose Davidson's foothold in Scotland, see weaker NI support, have deselected Tory MPs with a strong personal brand fighting against their replacements and see massive tactical voting, particularly in Tory seats with a strong remain constituency.

It would not surprise that Johnson will be equally as clueless managing any victory as he was after the referendum.
    What are labours options here? Sit on their hands and play chicken with Boris or take the bait and just hope they can get the kind of bounce they got during the last election campaign. If they can make Johnson break his promise of leaving on 31/10 then they have gone a long way to nullifying him (Labour would be better off spending their campaign budget trying to convince leavers to vote brexit party).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    What are labours options here? Sit on their hands and play chicken with Boris or take the bait and just hope they can get the kind of bounce they got during the last election campaign. If they can make Johnson break his promise of leaving on 31/10 then they have gone a long way to nullifying him (Labour would be better off spending their campaign budget trying to convince leavers to vote brexit party).
    I would assess what Johnson's least preferred outcome is and work towards that. Making bold statements that you want an election before 31st October just helps to box yourself in when there is no need when you should be keeping your opponent guessing until they have to show their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I would assess what Johnson's least preferred outcome is and work towards that. Making bold statements that you want an election before 31st October just helps to box yourself in when there is no need when you should be keeping your opponent guessing until they have to show their hand.
    Only a fool would trust Johnson. The games not over till it's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Only a fool would trust Johnson. The games not over till it's over!
    I’m glad to be in agreement with you Wales Bales re trusting ‘bojo’

Today's developments have made it pretty clear I think. The government are gagging for an election but need to lay groundwork that justifys calling it to brexiteers. Expect a lot of 'the remainers frustrated the negotiations' as we twist and turn our way to a GE that sees us miss the 31st deadline.
    How things change , Corbyn was calling for an election over and over gain , before Boris appeared.

I always thought if he had reluctantly backed the May deal , he woudl have been seen as conciliatory and seeking unity and may wel have won the next election , he doesn't seem to fancy an election these days does he ??

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I’m glad to be in agreement with you Wales Bales re trusting ‘bojo’
    No one trusts the loon or the other loon

Awfully dangerous if the Brexit party creates a Tory /DUP alliance , cant see Labour getting a majority .

The SNP would become very 'voter vulnerable' If they get into bed with Labour .

Liberals are anti JC and looking for more Chuka moderate Labour MP's to move over .

Greens will side with Liberals .

Ohhh such fun

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No one trusts the loon or the other loon
    I thought you’d be along to do your they’re both as equally responsible thing and you haven’t disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    I thought you’d be along to do your they’re both as equally responsible thing and you haven’t disappointed.
    Why should I change my opinion, it is one I and many others have held since 2016.

People have become very disillusioned .

Why should I change my opinion, it is one I and many others have held since 2016.

People have become very disillusioned .
    I’ve held the same. It was bloody unnecessary and it will go on for years. Even when I think no deal sadly occurs it’s the start of the wrangling and not the end.

For what eh? What a ****ing farce

How things change , Corbyn was calling for an election over and over gain , before Boris appeared.

I always thought if he had reluctantly backed the May deal , he woudl have been seen as conciliatory and seeking unity and may wel have won the next election , he doesn't seem to fancy an election these days does he ??
    Doesn't he?

Awfully dangerous if the Brexit party creates a Tory /DUP alliance , cant see Labour getting a majority .

The SNP would become very 'voter vulnerable' If they get into bed with Labour .

Liberals are anti JC and looking for more Chuka moderate Labour MP's to move over .

Greens will side with Liberals .

Ohhh such fun
    SNP aren't vulnerable at all.

Can Boris actually run in his own seat or do they need to airlift him to safety?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49552403

Sadly Labour voters will desert him.

He had to reply to today' s Boris press conference,
    or he would look weak , he wont want an election now, it wont go well for labour or him personally .

He needs to do the right thing for tye party and step aside, as he 's tarnished goods , and let a Kier Starmer type have a go at the Boris loon, the policies could still be the driver for thier manifesto with some changes applied.

He might fancy one.

A lot of his party don't

Looking at interviews with a Labour MP and a shadow cabinet member on Newsnight, Labour are saying they'll vote for a general election if the Tories abandon a no deal Brexit. I hope that is their policy even if they will face charges of running scared after seeking an election for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Looking at interviews with a Labour MP and a shadow cabinet member on Newsnight, Labour are saying they'll vote for a general election if the Tories abandon a no deal Brexit. I hope that is their policy even if they will face charges of running scared after seeking an election for so long.
    So Boris agrees, Parliament is dissolved and the Conservstives promptly say in their manifesto that if they can't get a deal they will leave without one!!

They can say what they like in their manifesto as long as any election is delayed until after 31 October as it should be. It's ridiculous that we keep getting told how this is the biggest peace time crisis this country has seen in decades or even a century and yet they've all been off on holiday for the last six weeks, will be off to the seaside for the party conferences for most of the next month and now we might have an election on top of that - you honestly couldn't make it up!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    They can say what they like in their manifesto as long as any election is delayed until after 31 October as it should be. It's ridiculous that we keep getting told how this is the biggest peace time crisis this country has seen in decades or even a century and yet they've all been off on holiday for the last six weeks, will be off to the seaside for the party conferences for most of the next month and now we might have an election on top of that - you honestly couldn't make it up!
    Boris has stated that he won't request an extension from the EU under any circumstances.

Maybe the opposition should attempt to pass the "block no deal legislation", deny him the election he will request and get the popcorn out and see what happens next.

He may have painted himself into a bit of a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Its like musical chairs , with Chuka on a role with his 3rd party in a single year .

Its like musical chairs , with Chuka on a role with his 3rd party in a single year .
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till after this debacle is over and many household names leave this rump Tory cabal behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till after this debacle is over and many household names leave this rump Tory cabal behind.
    Is Johnson really going to sack Churchill's grandson?

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Is Johnson really going to sack Churchill's grandson?
    If he did could you imagine the uproar? His hero would be rolling in his grave. I doubt he's got enough balls to do it; he's all mouth and trousers!

Isn't it ironic that for a few years the Tories have been banging on about Corbyn wanting to expel the moderates and after all that they are the party that have done it.