+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A few observations

A few observations

From the family stand.

The obsession that Flint and Morrison have got to get the ball forward with one touch. Sometimes there are moments when just controlling the ball for a second helps take the sting out of a situation. Instead they headed or lofted everything back into a congested midfield hoping that we might win another flick on or draw a foul. Pretty it isn't.

On a similar note, late on in the game we had a few throw-ins in our left back position. I noted that Peltier was given the freedom of the right hand side, yet Morrison persisted with his long throws into traffic. Eventually the penny dropped and he threw one back to Smithies to give to Pelts and we started an attack. But it's as if we'd rather battle our way up the pitch than try a few passes. It's not pretty and generally it's not effective.

Re: A few observations

I was impressed by the pass from Flint to Murphy that set up our goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    From the family stand.

The obsession that Flint and Morrison have got to get the ball forward with one touch. Sometimes there are moments when just controlling the ball for a second helps take the sting out of a situation. Instead they headed or lofted everything back into a congested midfield hoping that we might win another flick on or draw a foul. Pretty it isn't.

On a similar note, late on in the game we had a few throw-ins in our left back position. I noted that Peltier was given the freedom of the right hand side, yet Morrison persisted with his long throws into traffic. Eventually the penny dropped and he threw one back to Smithies to give to Pelts and we started an attack. But it's as if we'd rather battle our way up the pitch than try a few passes. It's not pretty and generally it's not effective.
    Those long throws are the stuff of parks football, instead of trying to keep the ball we give the opposition a 50% chance of winning it back, and they always do. Why not throw the ball to feet and try and build or draw the opposition out? It's embarrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    So was I. So much better when we have ball to feet.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Same.

Time and time again I found myself screaming for us to pass quicker tonight.

An early cross wouldn’t go amiss either

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why not throw the ball to feet and try and build or draw the opposition out? It's embarrasing.
    ...I feel a few of our players are lacking confidence in their ability as footballers, it's clear from the post match interviews they are fully aware of their shortcomings, even if our manager sometimes isn't