+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The death of the ability to hold a civilised discussion

The death of the ability to hold a civilised discussion

Reading many of the threads about NW, long ball tactics vs possession, etc, I'm struck by how the board has changed in the last few years from a relatively civilised discussion about different viewpoints to an approach where posters are personally attacked, rather than the viewpoint.

I've never come across a single instance where someone's opinion was changed by being called an idiot or stupid. I guess it's down to people just wanting to get a reaction rather than discuss things. I blame facebook and twitter...

Re: The death of the ability to hold a civilised discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Reading many of the threads about NW, long ball tactics vs possession, etc, I'm struck by how the board has changed in the last few years from a relatively civilised discussion about different viewpoints to an approach where posters are personally attacked, rather than the viewpoint.

I've never come across a single instance where someone's opinion was changed by being called an idiot or stupid. I guess it's down to people just wanting to get a reaction rather than discuss things. I blame facebook and twitter...
    And of course you’ve never labelled anyone stupid, or an idiot, or worse on here?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And of course you’ve never labelled anyone stupid, or an idiot, or worse on here?
    Only you!

It does happen sometimes, generally to those who are courting attention. I can honestly say that i've never had anyone on here get personal with me, i've had the odd put down, but that's nothing is it? i've done the same myself. You're no angel, i've seen you insult people on here.

In the last few years ?
    Try 20 years

It's most often the same people who go down that route

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    In the last few years ?
    Try 20 years
    ^^

This place has always been spiky.

I absolutely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're no angel, i've seen you insult people on here.
    I agree I had started to do the same. I did it as it seemed the only way they understood to communicate. I then realised I was doing what I hated others doing so I've just stopped posting, except for the odd post like this one.

I now just read the board occasionally and ignore the posters who can't debate without resorting to insults. Doesn't take long to get through the threads...

I agree I had started to do the same. I did it as it seemed the only way they understood to communicate. I then realised I was doing what I hated others doing so I've just stopped posting, except for the odd post like this one.

I now just read the board occasionally and ignore the posters who can't debate without resorting to insults. Doesn't take long to get through the threads...

Just get back on here.......

I'm a master debater.

You don't have to engage with the mugs though.loads of people play the man not the ball on here. Just ignore them.

Is it that bad on here?

I remember the days of escalating tit for tats resulting in offers of confrontation and endless spats and personal abuse being flung around.

I only drop in here occasionally but don't see anything on the scale that it once was, which is disappointing in some ways as some of the stuff was pure comedy.

My favourite being one poster calling me a lazy, scrounging layabout who would report me to the his friend in the DWP for me wasting my time drinking cans in Thomastown Park, Merthyr when I was signing on.

The daft bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Is it that bad on here?

I remember the days of escalating tit for tats resulting in offers of confrontation and endless spats and personal abuse being flung around.

I only drop in here occasionally but don't see anything on the scale that it once was, which is disappointing in some ways as some of the stuff was pure comedy.

My favourite being one poster calling me a lazy, scrounging layabout who would report me to the his friend in the DWP for me wasting my time drinking cans in Thomastown Park, Merthyr when I was signing on.

The daft bugger.
    Was going to say the same, I think the discussion about Warnock has been pretty amicable.

The problem on ccmb is people seem to think disagreeing with someone and asking questions is the same as insulting them.

There's no one phoning anyone's work and saying their on ccmb all day, no one is organising fights in beddau.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It's most often the same people who go down that route
    There’s only one person on here who makes it hard work and he has 10 accounts and posts non stop.

Other than that the discussion since the season has started has been great.

I had planned to not comment on this thread, but blaming others for your own behaviour? Come on mate.

International

You cant sat stuff like that Croesy. I'll see you in Beddau saturday

International

😂🤣😅😄😃🤣😂
    Last edited by xsnaggle; 29-08-19 at 09:21. Reason: Forgot link

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You cant sat stuff like that Croesy. I'll see you in Beddau saturday
    Just make sure you have a casio watch and a copy of that days newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Was going to say the same, I think the discussion about Warnock has been pretty amicable.

The problem on ccmb is people seem to think disagreeing with someone and asking questions is the same as insulting them.

There's no one phoning anyone's work and saying their on ccmb all day, no one is organising fights in beddau.
    The (non) Battle of Beddau was terrific reading and entertainment

I'm not really sure why people get that worked up?

To today's board as you said it seems all pretty amicable, I always wonder if individuals who get embroiled in these spats should chill out and reflect.

It's a message board not life & death.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Only you!
    Understandable really.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I absolutely agree
    Says someone who thinks he's the master of put downs

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Says someone who thinks he's the master of put downs
    The self confessed intellectual, who has to tell people he's clever rather than let them figure it out from his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The (non) Battle of Beddau was terrific reading and entertainment

I'm not really sure why people get that worked up?

To today's board as you said it seems all pretty amicable, I always wonder if individuals who get embroiled in these spats should chill out and reflect.

It's a message board not life & death.
    I get the impression most people take these conversations a lot less seriously than a few years back. It's improved.