+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do players Improve under Warnock?

Re: Do players Improve under Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    How about Morrison? Would it be fair to say he improved under Warnock? Personally, I think he looked better in 2017/18 under Warnock than he did in any previous season at City and he didn't disgrace himself last season either.

He's looked pretty ropey this season, but maybe it's one season too many for him and 2017/18 was his peak.
    Maybe, has Warnock made him better or was it Morrison naturally peaking? I suppose that's a bit harsh so i'll credit Warmock. I'd say that Morrison looked more confident under Warnock, more of a leader and more willing to exert himself. Maybe that was Warnocks man management and maybe Morrison is the perfect kind of player for Warnock to motivate.

Etheridge's progress is probably down to Andy Dibble.

Morisson has looked far more comfortable, and has led well.

Bamba has arguably had some of his better form over the last few years.

Peltier similarly. When they first joined, Leeds fans would have pissed themselves laughing if you had mentioned Peltier and Bamba would be in the PL with us and putting in decent performances.

Etheridge as you mention.

Hoilett maybe for consistency during the championship season.

NML? Like etheridge he has come from a lower league and may have gone on to do well anyway but without Warnock giving them that chance and paying them they quite possibly wouldn't have.

I think his strength is making the game simple, players know their job, there's a clarity to it.

Other managers go out of their way to make it complicated when the game itself is quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Etheridge's progress is probably down to Andy Dibble.
    Yup, although Warnock brought both Dibble and Etheridge to the club so i have to give him credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Peltier similarly. When they first joined, Leeds fans would have pissed themselves laughing if you had mentioned Peltier and Bamba would be in the PL with us and putting in decent performances.

NML? Like etheridge he has come from a lower league and may have gone on to do well anyway but without Warnock giving them that chance and paying them they quite possibly wouldn't have.

I think his strength is making the game simple, players know their job, there's a clarity to it.

Other managers go out of their way to make it complicated when the game itself is quite simple.
    I would say that he motivates the players you've mentioned and gives them belief and confidence as oppossed to improving them technically. That's great in the short term and with players it seems who aren't technically great. Could Warnock improve an already technically gifted player whether inexperienced or established? i have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Maybe, has Warnock made him better or was it Morrison naturally peaking? I suppose that's a bit harsh so i'll credit Warmock. I'd say that Morrison looked more confident under Warnock, more of a leader and more willing to exert himself. Maybe that was Warnocks man management and maybe Morrison is the perfect kind of player for Warnock to motivate.
    I think Morrison also flourished alongside Bamba (who Warnock brought in). He looks nowhere near as assured next to Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I completely disagree with you last sentence and a perfect way to illustrate this is the case of Leeds United.

They were a basket case before Bielsa arrived at the club and you can say what you like say about them failing at the last hurdle etc, some of the football their players have been playing has been off the scale and that's down to Bielsa's coaching.

Another case in hand is Swansea under Martinez. Players like Monk and Tate were journeyman footballers til Martinez got hold of them and they managed to go through the divisions and make very good careers for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think Morrison also flourished alongside Bamba (who Warnock brought in). He looks nowhere near as assured next to Flint.
    Agree, Bamba is very good at 'mopping up' i suppose it gave Morrison confidence. Flint is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, although Warnock brought both Dibble and Etheridge to the club so i have to give him credit.
    Wow, just realised that Andy Dibble was only 18 during our promotion season 82/83 a baby in goalkeeping terms. This was back when the game was still very physical.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I completely disagree with you last sentence and a perfect way to illustrate this is the case of Leeds United.

They were a basket case before Bielsa arrived at the club and you can say what you like say about them failing at the last hurdle etc, some of the football their players have been playing has been off the scale and that's down to Bielsa's coaching.

Another case in hand is Swansea under Martinez. Players like Monk and Tate were journeyman footballers til Martinez got hold of them and they managed to go through the divisions and make very good careers for themselves.
    But bielsa and martinez are exceptional coaches. Other managers that don't have their talent or eye for tactics can make the game complicated when it's counter productive.

Warnock knows what he wants from his squad and he communicates that exceptionally well.

Some managers may have a fantastic grasp at tactics but have no player management skills.

As good as bielsa is, he oversaw a huge collapse last season, did they bottle it, were they overworked and ran out of steam? Either way it was a hell of a drop off in performance level.