+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How long does it take players to settle in?

How long does it take players to settle in?

Thinking back to our transfer activity 2 years ago, these were the players we brought in.

Neil Etheridge - presumably brought in as understudy to Lee Camp, injuries saw him play virtually a full season. Kicking issues aside, immediately looked the part as first choice goalkeeper.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - 4 goals in his first 3 Championship starts was an explosive beginning to the season. Only two more goals were to follow that season.

Callum Paterson - injured when we bought him, immediately became an integral part of the promotion winning team, top scoring with 10 goals.

Danny Ward - injured for most of the season but scored 4 goals.

Loic Damour - a bright start to his City career but drifted out of contention.

Lee Tomlin - in and out of the team.

I then look at this season's signings.

Gavin Whyte - shown some promise but has had very little impact. Mendez-Laing showed much more promise when he first joined

Aden Flint - according to our resident Wurzel expert, Flint looks a long way from the player he was 2 years ago. Unconvincing partnership with Morrison.

Will Vaulks - barely used.

Curtis Nelson - barely used.

Joe Day - unlikely to challenge Smithies.

Marlon Pack - excellent debut, injured.

Isaac Vassell - barely used, scored late winner.

Robert Glatzel - no goals, unconvincing.

Re: How long does it take players to settle in?

Not looking good.
    😕

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Not looking good.
    ��
    2 seasons ago, we were maybe fortunate to have a number of signings make an immediate impact. Pack aside this season, I can't really say the same. That's not to say our new players won't make the grade, but their immediate impact hasn't been anywhere near what it was 2 years ago.

The quality of our signings this year look poor.
    Maybe Pack will prove me wrong when he regains fitness but the others all look like squad players, while many of the departed regular first team members.
    I have said this some time ago, less is more.
    Start at the back and any signings should be quality. If they are expensive so be it. It simply means we do not sign so many players.
    I am not sure of the final outcome as a lot of the fees are not released, but I suspect the club did not spend any money in the summer window.
    The incoming money may have balanced any outgoings ?