+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Roath Park Pub-City Rd

The Roath Park Pub-City Rd

How in gods name is this pub still open? I drive past quite often (Day and Evening) and make a point of looking to see if there are any punters having a drink, I don't think that i've seen anyone in there for 10 years. I can only conclude that the council are subsidising it so that doesn't end up a food place or Take away!

Re: The Roath Park Pub-City Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How in gods name is this pub still open? I drive past quite often (Day and Evening) and make a point of looking to see if there are any punters having a drink, I don't think that i've seen anyone in there for 10 years. I can only conclude that the council are subsidising it so that doesn't end up a food place or Take away!
    The ducks tend to drink in there, but they're quite small so you wouldn't see them through the windows when you're driving past

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    The ducks tend to drink in there, but they're quite small so you wouldn't see them through the windows when you're driving past
    ****ing geese cross the road now by roath park and do a fine job of trimming the locals lawns. Bloody Canadian Geese, coming here and stealing our jobs.

****ing geese cross the road now by roath park and do a fine job of trimming the locals lawns. Bloody Canadian Geese, coming here and stealing our jobs.
    It's bloody annoying but it is Trudeau

Like what you did there, one for the intellectuals on this board. I don't mind the Geese crossing over and looking for Pastures new, it's the ****ing attitude and look they give you when i'm forced to slam the anchors on the van.

Like what you did there, one for the intellectuals on this board. I don't mind the Geese crossing over and looking for Pastures new, it's the ****ing attitude and look they give you when i'm forced to slam the anchors on the van.
    very few things worse than arrogant geese

Used to drink in there in the 70s & 80s, it was a great pub then. It's sad to see the way pubs are falling by the wayside. I hope it stays open as long as possible.

very few things worse than arrogant geese
    One bit my missus once-rather amusing.

I go there occasionally, usually to watch local bands in the face room, and to be fair, it is quite busy on a Friday or Saturday evening. But I do get what you're saying - the rest of the time it's fairly empty. I think the guy running it is giving it a fair shot, the beer is cheap (and good too), but there's no food, and no Sky TV, so I guess he's struggling. But...I love the place. It's a good old fashioned street corner pub, and we should all be giving them our trade, before they completely disappear.

Back room, I meant to say....

Made me chuckle 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Used to drink in there in the 70s & 80s, it was a great pub then. It's sad to see the way pubs are falling by the wayside. I hope it stays open as long as possible.
    Same, Just can't understand how it is surviving. The splotlands always used to look like it had a loyal crowd and it seemed busy on a Friday night up until a few years back and that place went although there always seemed to be trouble outside on a Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I go there occasionally, usually to watch local bands in the face room, and to be fair, it is quite busy on a Friday or Saturday evening. But I do get what you're saying - the rest of the time it's fairly empty. I think the guy running it is giving it a fair shot, the beer is cheap (and good too), but there's no food, and no Sky TV, so I guess he's struggling. But...I love the place. It's a good old fashioned street corner pub, and we should all be giving them our trade, before they completely disappear.
    Good post, i agree, i used to get in there when i was a youngster on my way into town, then into the Exchange and Poets Corner-Both gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    I think the law states 11pm or thereabouts

I heard it was at least trying to get things going, Trojan reggae nights etc....not even many pubs close by these days and lots of young people living nearby. The youngsters these days aren’t into old traditional pubs I think....we will just be left with soulless bars in the city centres soon....

I imagine the main competition pubs face is people drinking at home. I’m 37 so too young to really know this, but i am sure drinking at home is far more prevalent than it was say 20 years ago. When I was a teenager we used to go to the local pub for a drink, not get cans and sit in front of the telly. But then I think the price of a pint was far closer to the price of a can back then, and frankly the internet, Netflix, prime, etc etc means there is far more to keep me entertained at home than there was when we only had 5 channels to choose from, and a dial-up modem connection. I’m sure that is going to be a large contributor to pub closures.

Pubs are dying.
    People don’t want to spend 3.50 on a pint when you can get 18 cans in the super market for a tenner.

I’m far from an intellectual and got it instantly.

Not sure why you’d need to be that bright to get the connection tbh.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

Intellectual masturbation for one

Onanism nqat

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Intellectual masturbation for one

Onanism nqat
    I’ll masturbate my ego for getting that one then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Pubs are dying.
    People don’t want to spend 3.50 on a pint when you can get 18 cans in the super market for a tenner.
    3.50? You’ll be lucky to find that in the city centre. Pubs aren’t what they used to be

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    3.50? You’ll be lucky to find that in the city centre. Pubs aren’t what they used to be
    Borough is under 3 quid ain’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post

It was a reference to Ronniebird and his mates.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You’re going to the wrong pubs, Rummer - £1.95 (on my way there now), Old Arcade- £2, Borough-£2.20, Queens Vaults around £2, Live Lounge- varies through the evening but the professional piss heads have stabbed it out, so if you hit it at the right time you’re looking at around £2 a pint. The town beer price war is marvellous at the moment, long may it last.

Admittedly I am in central London but out of the 20 or so pubs that I might be about to go to within a 5 min walk of the office I can think of only one where a pint might be less than a fiver and in most it will be over £6. I normally go to work drinks and buy a round for the people in my team and head off soon after, but that can easily cost £40+ a time. Ive really started to notice that cost! A pub serving pints at £3 a go would be a godsend.