+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paul Merton - Who Do You Think You Are (WDYTYA)

Paul Merton - Who Do You Think You Are (WDYTYA)

Enjoyed this episode shown on Wednesday.
    There was a Cardiff connection. Although his grandfather was born in Ireland, after WW1 he signed on as a merchant seaman and docked at Penarth and Barry on his ship which was ferrying coal. His body was found in the Glamorganshire Canal at Cardiff during April 1927, he was taken to a Mining Hospital and buried in an unmarked grave in Cathays Cemetery.
    The cause of death as stated on his death certificate was 'Shock from distended stomach acting on diseased heart'. It was inferred by a lady from Glamorganshire Archives that he had a heart attack and fell into the canal. However, I've found that the Register of Deceased Seamen paints a slightly different picture stating that the cause was 'Shock from falling into canal'.

Re: Paul Merton - Who Do You Think You Are (WDYTYA)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Enjoyed this episode shown on Wednesday.
    There was a Cardiff connection. Although his grandfather was born in Ireland, after WW1 he signed on as a merchant seaman and docked at Penarth and Barry on his ship which was ferrying coal. His body was found in the Glamorganshire Canal at Cardiff during April 1927, he was taken to a Mining Hospital and buried in an unmarked grave in Cathays Cemetery.
    The cause of death as stated on his death certificate was 'Shock from distended stomach acting on diseased heart'. It was inferred by a lady from Glamorganshire Archives that he had a heart attack and fell into the canal. However, I've found that the Register of Deceased Seamen paints a slightly different picture stating that the cause was 'Shock from falling into canal'.
    Nothing to do with something else going on in April 1927 I presume? What was Paul Merton's grandfathers date of death (although it was stated in the programme that he may have been in the canal for a few days).
    On a side note one of my Irish relatives was found drowned in Goole docks in the 1890s. He was a ships mate at the time. He got buried in Goole and the ship completed its voyage back to Cardiff without him.