+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Am I being too harsh on Warnock? And why?

Am I being too harsh on Warnock? And why?

Been reading the Russel Slade thread, he was never going to set the world alight but came in to do a job that was more than just about on the field.. I remember supporting him on here, I also supported Ole thinking he’d get it right at some point if it all just clicked, I’ve got no idea what my reaction to Trollope was in all honesty.

Anyway, my rambling is just to point out I’ve always tried to stick by managers, it is unusual for me to feel like I do now with Warnock just not looking like he’s getting it right, I think what helps push that feeling forward is the fact we all know he’s off at the end of the season (or sooner if it doesn’t go his way)

We could win 3 nil tonight, I’d be happy with the result but not truly happy because I just can’t seem to get behind the manager like I’ve always been able to do.

Somethings missing.

Re: Am I being too harsh on Warnock? And why?

It's strange isn't it. For the last 2 years it's felt like Warnock had a galvanising affect on the fans, but now I find myself feeling a bit let down after the summer business and how we've perfromed in the first few games. Plus last season was pretty terrible really.

I'd love it if Warnock could turn it around and prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    It's strange isn't it. For the last 2 years it's felt like Warnock had a galvanising affect on the fans, but now I find myself feeling a bit let down after the summer business and how we've perfromed in the first few games. Plus last season was pretty terrible really.

I'd love it if Warnock could turn it around and prove me wrong.
    As a Cardiff fan I want nothing more than for it all to turn around for the better, the immediate effect of galvanising the club was great, the football wasn’t awful either. Going from what we played first 5 games to what we’ve played since is criminal, I get it’s not sustainable over 46 games but do we really need to go so far the other way? Most of us went along with the dour football because it was working, I definitely didn’t support it.

For me I’ve gone back to how I felt before he came, nobody can take away what he’s done here but I think a few also stretch it a bit as well.
    (He hasn’t sorted the club from top to bottom for example, the academy is proof of that)

It's not just you, or even others on this forum. You got even fans of the blades which is his club and opinion will be split.

Across the game he is a very marmite figure.

Personally I think he has done great for us, he was just what we needed, timing was perfect and he has helped bring the fanbase together.

Im happy for him to have the season, he's here, it's players he has brought in and I know his record at this level is as good as anyone and his man management skills are as good as anyone's. There's a lot of talk of tactics etc but without the ability to manage the players in the first place it's almost pointless.

Wherever we finish the next appointment will be huge for the club. Not everyone will be in agreement on who the club bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    It's not just you, or even others on this forum. You got even fans of the blades which is his club and opinion will be split.

Across the game he is a very marmite figure.

Personally I think he has done great for us, he was just what we needed, timing was perfect and he has helped bring the fanbase together.

Im happy for him to have the season, he's here, it's players he has brought in and I know his record at this level is as good as anyone and his man management skills are as good as anyone's. There's a lot of talk of tactics etc but without the ability to manage the players in the first place it's almost pointless.

Wherever we finish the next appointment will be huge for the club. Not everyone will be in agreement on who the club bring in.
    He brought the club together and he’s promoted us. Yes he’s done well.

It’s not so much that he’s like marmite, I’ve liked him since he came here and always tried to see the positives last year in what was always going to be a hard season, I’m just saying that a few games into this season I’ve just lost that feeling that I’ve had over the last few years.

Russel slade was hammered for playing bad football, Warnock gets a pass because he took us up.

Another season of bypassing midfield and overusing the predictable wings. It’d be something if we had a plan b.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    He brought the club together and he’s promoted us. Yes he’s done well.

It’s not so much that he’s like marmite, I’ve liked him since he came here and always tried to see the positives last year in what was always going to be a hard season, I’m just saying that a few games into this season I’ve just lost that feeling that I’ve had over the last few years.

Russel slade was hammered for playing bad football, Warnock gets a pass because he took us up.

Another season of bypassing midfield and overusing the predictable wings. It’d be something if we had a plan b.
    Or he could pull off another promotion, I wouldn't ever write the guy off, I started to many times during the promotion season and even at times last season he and the squad surprised me.

I just don't think we have played enough matches to be too concerned yet. From the league matches we are a scrappy 3 points at say Wigan from what points wise would have been an excellent start. As it is we have 7 but it's still so early.

In terms of results he's right up there for us. If he did it playing nice football he probably wouldn't still be at Cardiff City either. Other clubs play nice football but won't have the results.

The reason Slade isn't thought of as highly is because he hasn't had the career Warnock has and he didn't get us promoted (I've only seem two managers get us to the top tier, it's not something that has happened regularly so of course it's a big deal). I think he did a good job in difficult circumstances, during a time we shipped out a lot of players.

By far the most bored I've ever been was watching Malky's side getting promoted.I still think the gaffer will get us promoted and will be heavily backed in the Jan window if needs be.

Or he could pull off another promotion, I wouldn't ever write the guy off, I started to many times during the promotion season and even at times last season he and the squad surprised me.

I just don't think we have played enough matches to be too concerned yet. From the league matches we are a scrappy 3 points at say Wigan from what points wise would have been an excellent start. As it is we have 7 but it's still so early.

In terms of results he's right up there for us. If he did it playing nice football he probably wouldn't still be at Cardiff City either. Other clubs play nice football but won't have the results.

The reason Slade isn't thought of as highly is because he hasn't had the career Warnock has and he didn't get us promoted (I've only seem two managers get us to the top tier, it's not something that has happened regularly so of course it's a big deal). I think he did a good job in difficult circumstances, during a time we shipped out a lot of players.
    Why do people point out it’s too early in the season? We haven’t changed the way we play since the 6th game of the promotion season mate, and it doesn’t have to be pretty football, I’m a fan of getting the ball forward quickly and going at teams, I’m not asking for pass around the back and play it up the field in 78 passes only to get near goal and pass back because the perfect opportunity isn’t available, Man City and Liverpool play long balls too but they don’t just lump it and lose it. We do.

I know why slade didn’t go down well too, and that’s kind of the point I’m making, Warnock gets away with it BECAUSE of his career.
    He needs to do something. Isn’t his job to adapt and improved? Not just do the same thing game after game?

Why do people point out it’s too early in the season? We haven’t changed the way we play since the 6th game of the promotion season mate, and it doesn’t have to be pretty football, I’m a fan of getting the ball forward quickly and going at teams, I’m not asking for pass around the back and play it up the field in 78 passes only to get near goal and pass back because the perfect opportunity isn’t available, Man City and Liverpool play long balls too but they don’t just lump it and lose it. We do.

I know why slade didn’t go down well too, and that’s kind of the point I’m making, Warnock gets away with it BECAUSE of his career.
    He needs to do something. Isn’t his job to adapt and improved? Not just do the same thing game after game?
    Because it is August. How many more points should we have got so far? For me 7 is ok, 10 would have been very very good, 13 as the top 2 have is superb. 15 as we had last time was just ridiculous.

I'd say he changes a lot, the amount of players we go through game to game would suggest he doesn't just do the same thing each game.

Because it is August. How many more points should we have got so far? For me 7 is ok, 10 would have been very very good, 13 as the top 2 have is superb. 15 as we had last time was just ridiculous.

I'd say he changes a lot, the amount of players we go through game to game would suggest he doesn't just do the same thing each game.
    Missing the point, it’s been the same for years.

Changing players but doing exactly the same thing on the pitch isn’t making changes. Bloody hell.

Missing the point, it’s been the same for years.

Changing players but doing exactly the same thing on the pitch isn’t making changes. Bloody hell.
    Well maybe just me then but if he does the same thing all the time but gets us up (which he apparently did from the 6th game two years ago) then I'll be happy. Perhaps he shouldn't change anything in that case.

Warnock’s man management skills are often touted on this board, but what about the wayhe has treated Decordova-Reid or the infamous Murphy TrainingGroundGate or Zohore, who was publicly humiliated by Warnock?
    I too find it hard to get excited about this season and I’ve yet to attend a match, due to holidays. The signings were far outweighed by the departures and there’s an air of disappointment about the place.
    Remember when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement, then stayed on because the team weren’t performing? The Warnock situation has placed the club in a sort of suspended animation whilst we all wait for what’s next - hopefully not League 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Warnock’s man management skills are often touted on this board, but what about the wayhe has treated Decordova-Reid or the infamous Murphy TrainingGroundGate or Zohore, who was publicly humiliated by Warnock?
    I too find it hard to get excited about this season and I’ve yet to attend a match, due to holidays. The signings were far outweighed by the departures and there’s an air of disappointment about the place.
    Remember when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement, then stayed on because the team weren’t performing? The Warnock situation has placed the club in a sort of suspended animation whilst we all wait for what’s next - hopefully not League 1.
    Wait you mean Reid who has always wanted to play for the famous Fulham. How did he publicly humiliate zohore?

I'm sure it's entirely possible to not get on with every player as you would ideally like but still be classed as an excellent man manager. For every Reid or puncheon there are many who feel the opposite. I've heard many interviews, podcasts where players have loved working with him.

We've played 4 sides who pre-season were tipped for relegation & Huddersfield who have managed a solitary point so far. We've had one of (if not the) easiest starts to the season. 7 points is a poor result from those games, pre-season I had us down for an absolute minimum of 11.

The primary reason we're in this position has been the transfer policy and unsuccessfully recruiting quality replacements for Arter, Camarasa, Gunnarsson, Manga & Reid. We've replaced quality with mediocrity. Add to that the injuries to Etheridge & Bamba and the continued failure to find an in from goalscorer and the die is cast.

From the high of Old Trafford to the low of Wigan is a big fall and in all honesty a major failing.

I liked and stuck with Dave Jones and Malky. I didn't think OGS would work out and wasn't happy with his appointment, but I hoped for the best. I knew nothing about Slade but soon became sick of his antics and was gald to see him go. I was happy with the appointment of Trollope and hoped for the best. Obviously that didn't work and I don't think we could afford to be patient with him. We just didn't have the players. I was excited ablut Warnock, I've always had a soft spoot for him. He talked the talk, walked the walk and the 2017-2018 season was amazing. The football at times was exilerating. However, least year was a weak effort and no ambition was shown. This year has gotten off to a poor start. And it seems like we're going backwards. In hindsight we may have been better off parting with Warnock last Christmas. Other than a paycheck, I can't see what he's sticking around for.

We have the luxury of playing in relative saftey this season and I'd like to see the club take the opporyunity to make a change and plan something long-term. Warnock just isn't a long term kind of guy.

We've been really, really poor though. We've won our two games late on as well, which is a good thing if things are going well but we're hardly dominating at home. It is August but we're a million miles off it at the moment. Let's hope we have a massive improvement tonight. If we get battered tonight, the calls for his head are going to get louder.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    In hindsight we may have been better off parting with Warnock last Christmas. Other than a paycheck, I can't see what he's sticking around for.
    We'd have gone down with a whimper under anyone else and to be fair, we were extremely close to staying up. Our players can't really play any other style. Who else has a Paterson? He wants a 9th promotion but we've hardly invested like a side with that ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We'd have gone down with a whimper under anyone else and to be fair, we were extremely close to staying up. Our players can't really play any other style. Who else has a Paterson? He wants a 9th promotion but we've hardly invested like a side with that ambition.
    I would happily forgo a promotion (what would be the point anyway? - unless Tan is looking to cash-out) in favour of building a long-term strategy.

I liked and stuck with Dave Jones and Malky. I didn't think OGS would work out and wasn't happy with his appointment, but I hoped for the best. I knew nothing about Slade but soon became sick of his antics and was gald to see him go. I was happy with the appointment of Trollope and hoped for the best. Obviously that didn't work and I don't think we could afford to be patient with him. We just didn't have the players. I was excited ablut Warnock, I've always had a soft spoot for him. He talked the talk, walked the walk and the 2017-2018 season was amazing. The football at times was exilerating. However, least year was a weak effort and no ambition was shown. This year has gotten off to a poor start. And it seems like we're going backwards. In hindsight we may have been better off parting with Warnock last Christmas. Other than a paycheck, I can't see what he's sticking around for.

We have the luxury of playing in relative saftey this season and I'd like to see the club take the opporyunity to make a change and plan something long-term. Warnock just isn't a long term kind of guy.
    That’s the reason I think I can’t get behind him, because I can’t work out what he’s doing here. I didn’t immediately get that feeling because he came out with all the soundbites about giving it a real go, after the hype I think we’ve fallen flat on our faces with that one. Transfer window was..not great.

I believe Warnock should have been replaced after the final game last season. Give a new manager the summer to start to build something.
    However, I will say that my major concern at the moment is the probable inability of the club to appoint the right replacement and to have any sort of strategy that they could start to roll out over the next 2-3 years.

My feelings exactly, I have not been a supporter of Neil Warnock his team selection is mostly wrong ( if they trained well he would select them),his tactics are wrong defensive), his subbing was late and like for like and no plan B.
    Last season was a disappointment and he should left last December.
    I don’t think we will get anywhere near the play offs this season unless changes are made

Weve made a right mess of the window by the look of things.

Warnock is probably the best option we have. I thought wed do well and go up but I think Warnock is the best person to keep us safe.

If he goes and we make a bad appointment we could easily go down.

Dave Jones was sacked too late should have gone at least 2 years earlier. Trollope we acted at the right time. I think we should stick and let Warnock guide us to safety.

This forum will become a fortnight long moan-fest should there be a defeat later on. A draw and a feeling of general discontent will persist. But a win will see a renewed burst of optimism.

I'm not a huge Warnock fan but you cannot compare Warnock to Russell Slade in any way.

I'm hate Warnock's style of football but he is a great man manager and is tactically astute at what he does.

Slade is a PE teacher who talks about Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm not a huge Warnock fan but you cannot compare Warnock to Russell Slade in any way.

I'm hate Warnock's style of football but he is a great man manager and is tactically astute at what he does.

Slade is a PE teacher who talks about Winston Churchill
    The football is bad to watch, and that is as far as my comparison went tbh mate.