+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A dreadful team to watch

Re: A dreadful team to watch

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There were some great games during Mackay's first season, but many people seem to have erased them from their memories.

Examples: Cardiff 3 Bristol City 1, Peterborough 4 Cardiff 3, Derby 0 Cardiff 3, Cardiff 3 Portsmouth 2, Brighton 2 Cardiff 2. The team played some really good stuff that season, including a 1-1 draw at Blackpool that was a brilliant game.
    We can all point to individual matches when we played some decent football to back up our argument.

In 2009/10 when Jones football was apparently in decline according to Eric we walloped Bristol City 3-0 at home and 6-0 away.

We even played some decent stuff under Warnock in certain individual matches. Slade too. Trollope not so.

During his post-match interview with Sky last night, Sean Morrison was honest enough to admit that Cardiff's tactics against Fulham involved nothing more than "sitting back and trying to play on the counter-attack."

Meanwhile, Josh Murphy told Sky the pre-match plan had been "to frustrate the opposition and play more like a Neil Warnock team."

The way City set up, you could have been forgiven for thinking they were facing a top Premier League side in a cup game or playing away to a leading Championship team who were in top form, but they weren't.

Cardiff were playing at home against a Fulham side they had finished in front of during the last two league campaigns; a side who were abysmal for the majority of last season; a side with a rookie manager and a notoriously fragile defence; and a side who had already been beaten by Barnsley and Nottingham Forest this season. Nevertheless, Warnock's tactics were all about stopping the opposition rather than attempting to take them on.

After Harry Arter stupidly and deservedly got himself sent off, City had almost half an hour to press home their man advantage and try to play some proper football. However, they created just three chances during that time - a long range effort from Joe Ralls that went well wide, a tame header from Robert Glatzel that went even wider and another header from Sean Morrison that also missed the target.

The manager's reaction to gaining a man advantage was not to take off a defender or a defensive midfielder and bring on a second striker to play alongside the isolated Glatzel. Instead, he took off one ineffective winger and brought on another. The result was that his players spent most of the last half hour pumping aimless balls from one side of the field to the other while barely threatening the goal of a team who were clearly rattled and obviously far from great.

Cardiff City's football has been difficult to watch for much of Warnock's tenure, but this season his team looks especially grim. In recent months, I've highlighted how few draws the Bluebirds have been involved in during the last year or so. Their sequence of 53 games without a score draw was finally ended last night and it looks to me like there will be plenty more draws in the coming months.

Warnock told Sky's reporter after the match that he doesn't have a clue where his team will end up this season. To me, they already look mid-table bankers. They're nowhere near weak enough to be involved in a relegation scrap, but by the same token they don't appear to have either the quality or the ambition to get involved in the battle for promotion. Meanwhile, the football they play makes for utterly dreadful viewing.
    Have to agree with everything here , it’s exactly the way I saw it , I said the same on the opening day at Wigan after we went one nil up nothing has changed since. Dire to watch. And Some people have said that was our best performance this season

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We can all point to individual matches when we played some decent football to back up our argument.

In 2009/10 when Jones football was apparently in decline according to Eric we walloped Bristol City 3-0 at home and 6-0 away.

We even played some decent stuff under Warnock in certain individual matches. Slade too. Trollope not so.
    I very much enjoyed Mackay's first season, which proved to be my last as a full-time supporter. The team ran out of steam a little in the final third of the campaign, which was understandable given the size of the squad and the Carling Cup run, but they played some really good stuff before that and were involved in some excellent games. Mackay himself was also a breath of fresh air following on from Jones and his gloomy demeanour.

I'm not accusing you of this specifically, but a lot of people seem to want to rewrite history and ignore how popular Mackay was during his first season here (and his second for that matter), and they also want to forget how well his team played on a seriously constricted budget in 2011/12.

I wonder if Warnock's tenure will ever be tainted in the same way as Mackay's should Tan sack him and start publicly moaning about the millions he's spent? From a distance, some of the deals Warnock has conducted look a lot more suspect than anything Mackay ever did, but Tan hasn't said a word about any of them. Yet.....

The title of this thread by TLG is "a dreadful team to watch"
    My advice to TLG is as watching Cardiff is upsetting you so much then don"t watch them.
    I think that that way you will be much happier

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Forget playing styles and philosophies, we are just very poor at the moment and terrible value for the ticket price.

I'm not someone who thinks all football should be played beautifully or 'tiki-taka' is the be all and end all but we don't even have the ability at the moment to pass the ball 5/10 yards to feet, switch play, vary set pieces, attack with purpose or even control the ball.

Where has the spark gone? Where is the intensity? Why aren't the players taking responsibility on the pitch to use the ball rather than continuously flick it on or turn it round the corner like it's made of anthrax? The amount of times we tried to force it down the left hand side when players were marked and the space had been cut off, rather than switch play and move Fulham about, was mind boggling.

I even think Warnock has lost his spark, he looks very flat to me. Maybe last season and the Sala tragedy has taken it's toll on him. I am hugely thankful for what he has done for the club, he's been incredible but I think maybe it's a season too many? I won't call for his head but we need a dramatic change otherwise this is going to be a long tough season.

I thought Fulham were actually pretty poor last night too, they passed it and passed it without any pace and to me didn't look that dangerous. They are still quite shaky at the back too, so why the game plan was to sit back and try and hit the on the break at home was baffling. Especially after the 1st 20 mins when the players could have seen that they were there for the taking.

Oh well, hopefully the international break will give them a bit of time to re-group and change the approach even if it just makes us more enjoyable to watch.
    Yea I think this too. Warlock has definitely lost his spark and I can’t see him being around much longer

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    My advice to TLG is as watching Cardiff is upsetting you so much then don"t watch them.
    It doesn't upset me at all, not in the slightest, but thanks for your advice all the same.

Ironically when I think of Dave Jones I remember the type of football that a lot of Warnock supporters imagine we play under him.

We certainly weren't possession based, our full backs were defenders and we go the ball forward quickly to Bothroyd who brought our wingers into the game.

I felt we never really got the midfield balance right apart from the the short spell when Routledge was on loan and we were far too reliant on Bothroyd, to the point that if he wasn't playing or couldn't be bothered we were awful.

However when Bothroyd was on it some of our attacking play was superb.

It obviously doesn't upset him im sure hes enjoying seeing us struggle. If wed played brilliant football theres no way hed post a thread saying a great team to watch.😂

Ex fans are always the worse to criticise.

Saying that most of his op is correct and we are dreaful to watch at the moment. BUT i still enjoyed it more than the live stuff that was on yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Saying that most of his op is correct and we are dreaful to watch at the moment. BUT i still enjoyed it more than the live stuff that was on yesterday.
    Did you watch any of the Bristol City v Boro game? I had it on in the background, I wasn't glued to it as such, but from what I saw it was a far more entertaining game than Friday night's offering. Really open, loads of chances and some decent football. Same result, score draw, totally different way of achieving it on the part of both sides.

I very much enjoyed Mackay's first season, which proved to be my last as a full-time supporter. The team ran out of steam a little in the final third of the campaign, which was understandable given the size of the squad and the Carling Cup run, but they played some really good stuff before that and were involved in some excellent games. Mackay himself was also a breath of fresh air following on from Jones and his gloomy demeanour.

I'm not accusing you of this specifically, but a lot of people seem to want to rewrite history and ignore how popular Mackay was during his first season here (and his second for that matter), and they also want to forget how well his team played on a seriously constricted budget in 2011/12.

I wonder if Warnock's tenure will ever be tainted in the same way as Mackay's should Tan sack him and start publicly moaning about the millions he's spent? From a distance, some of the deals Warnock has conducted look a lot more suspect than anything Mackay ever did, but Tan hasn't said a word about any of them. Yet.....
    Each to their own, I can only comment on my thoughts and what I enjoy as good football.

Ironically some of the best football i seen us play under Jones was the first half of a 2-0 home defeat to Ipswich in his last season. The game where Jimmy Bullard scored 2 in a smash and grab. How we didn’t score 5 before half time I don’t know.

I found myself bored rigid at times under Malkys tenure and was critical of the style of play long before his very public spat with Tan.

I will concede the football was better in his first season than his second when he won promotion, I think this was due to him having a more forward thinking Peter Whittingham before he ruined him, but I still don’t think it was ever as good (over the course of a season) as either of Jones last 2 seasons.

Malky kept moving Whitts further back to almost the quarter back position and that was the decline in the good football for me.

Personally, I didn’t care for Jones demeanour, as long as the team played decent stuff I couldn’t care less that he was miserable and prickly off the pitch.

I thought Malkys fist pump was insincere and never bought into it. In the same way I don’t buy into it with Warnock. It hasn’t gone unnoticed he (Warnock) is always quick to praise the fans rather than answer the question asked about a poor performance.

It doesn't upset me at all, not in the slightest, but thanks for your advice all the same.

I enjoyed the game, there again I am a fan of Cardiff City

I enjoyed the game, there again I am a fan of Cardiff City
    Good man, I'm pleased for you.

I'm aware that plenty of Cardiff City fans didn't enjoy the game, but it's different strokes for different folks.

Did you watch any of the Bristol City v Boro game? I had it on in the background, I wasn't glued to it as such, but from what I saw it was a far more entertaining game than Friday night's offering. Really open, loads of chances and some decent football. Same result, score draw, totally different way of achieving it on the part of both sides.
    No i was going to watch it but the landlord switched to the Man U game. Im sure to the neutral ours was the worst game and as bad a game that will be on all season.

I only enjoyed our game more as its live football and my team.

With the game 1 all there still that hope we can get a goal and the excitement that comes with it. For such a crap game there was also a great atmosphere.

For me you cant beat being there. TV games when you are a neutral are not the same.

I'm aware that plenty of Cardiff City fans didn't enjoy the game, but it's different strokes for different folks.
    Are you a Cardiff City fan ?

Not really. Not anymore. I go the occasional game and watch them play on TV often enough, but the results don't affect me anymore. That said, I'd much rather see them in the Premier League than the Championship.

What does that matter?

Pearcey is a Reading fan and he’s all over the thread.

Also, a lot of Cardiff fans agree with the OP and don’t just blindly kid ourselves. The football is awful to watch at the moment.

So you are not a city fan but come on a city forum & spend 2 days moaning about how a team you don"t support plays.
    Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    What does that matter?

Pearcey is a Reading fan and he’s all over the thread.

Also, a lot of Cardiff fans agree with the OP and don’t just blindly kid ourselves. The football is awful to watch at the moment.
    I have been watching city for 46 years, a lot of that time they have been poor to watch, I am still a city fan.
    personally I would not go on to a forum of a team that I don"t support & spend 2 days moaning about that team.
    Maybe that"s just me.
    Takes all sorts I suppose.

So you are not a city fan but come on a city forum & spend 2 days moaning about how a team you don"t support plays. Strange.
    Oh, I was a full-on City fan for 38 years and I've paid reasonably close attention to what's been happening at the club since I stopped being so. I still go to games now and then and watch plenty of TV matches. I'm still interested, probably always will be to some extent.

I'm not moaning about how the team plays, I'm merely making observations. It doesn't bother me as such, although it would be good if they were at least a little more entertaining I think. After all, that would make the games I do attend and the matches I watch on TV that bit more entertaining. But it's no big deal.

Oh, I was a full-on City fan for 38 years and I've paid reasonably close attention to what's been happening at the club since I stopped being so. I still go to games now and then and watch plenty of TV matches. I'm still interested, probably always will be to some extent.

I'm not moaning about how the team plays, I'm merely making observations. It doesn't bother me as such, although it would be good if they were at least a little more entertaining I think. After all, that would make the games I do attend and the matches I watch on TV that bit more entertaining. But it's no big deal.
    “reasonably close attention”

When you say 'plenty' I assume that you are referring to yourself and about another twenty people who regularly post on here. There were another 20000+ people actually at the game who might just have something different to say, as they actually support/like the club in the first place.

I'll throw this in (for what it's worth).

Sat in a pub yesterday afternoon with 6 lads who have all supported City and still retain an active interest. For a myriad of reasons, family, rebrand, life etc don't have season tickets but all had done so over the years. We are not just talking Premier League seasons either.

The subject of the Fulham match and this seasons (so far) football offerings, style of play, Warnock etc. was discussed. Let's just say it's not positive, let's also say what's being served doesn't entice most to get a ticket for the match.

I'll talk personally and admit I've been considering a flex ticket. I'm reticent due to the utter dross that is being currently played.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

Sat in a pub yesterday afternoon with 6 lads who have all supported City and still retain an active interest. For a myriad of reasons, family, rebrand, life etc don't have season tickets but all had done so over the years. We are not just talking Premier League seasons either.

The subject of the Fulham match and this seasons (so far) football offerings, style of play, Warnock etc. was discussed. Let's just say it's not positive, let's also say what's being served doesn't entice most to get a ticket for the match.

I'll talk personally and admit I've been considering a flex ticket. I'm reticent due to the utter dross that is being currently played.
    I have been to the three homes games and certainly dont recognise your description of 'utter dross'. We have actually won two of them, are unbeaten and scored five goals. There have been periods of good play as well and we are operating with two wingers and four forwards when we attack. Its only six games in anyway and we are still trying to establish ourselves after relegation and deal with injuries to key players as well. There has been a definite improvement over the three games. I wouldnt rely on what some people report on here as being a fair/balanced view of whats going on either. Our home average so far is around 23000, seventh in the division. We are taking 2000 away as well. None of this indicates the picture you are painting as a true reflection of what is actually going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post

That echoes what I heard whenever I've talked to people about City in recent weeks - people aren't enjoying watching us. Can i ask those who don't agree with the OP and subsequent ones along the same lines whether they do so because they are enjoying watching us play or is out of some sort of sense of loyalty, because I've not spoken to anyone who falls into the first of those categories yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I have been to the three homes games and certainly dont recognise your description of 'utter dross'. We have actually won two of them, are unbeaten and scored five goals. There have been periods of good play as well and we are operating with two wingers and four forwards when we attack. Its only six games in anyway and we are still trying to establish ourselves after relegation and deal with injuries to key players as well. There has been a definite improvement over the three games. I wouldnt rely on what some people report on here as being a fair/balanced view of whats going on either. Our home average so far is around 23000, seventh in the division. We are taking 2000 away as well. None of this indicates the picture you are painting as a true reflection of what is actually going on.
    Each to their own and I did say for what my opinion is worth

It's my and others observation. I'll suggest that if City are winning then the style of football Warnock produces is given a pass by some. I'll admit to not being underwhelmed by his style when winning promotion and (sort of) understanding it last season, although Sheffield United, Wolves and to a degree Norwich have shown that a more expansive, passing style can lead to promoted teams being able to compete against established Premier League teams.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on what I've seen this season although if any positives seen by Fridays performance are far outweighed by the pattern of play, tactics and I will say "utter dross" that I saw. 'Warnock Ball' doesn't do it for me and others.