+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A dreadful team to watch

Re: A dreadful team to watch

I’m not saying Cardiff shouldn’t have ambition but just because you want your team to be successful doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Reading have been in the top flight for three seasons in recent times. So what? We too have spent a fortune on players. Again so what? Lots of clubs have spent tens of millions on players but that does not guarantee success. Just look at Bolton FFS.

The past dozen or so years have been the golden era for my club. I know Cardiff were previously in the top flight before I was born but you have never consistently been a top flight team in the past. Your recent years have been right up there with the most successful in your history. There are no guarantees though.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    if you ever feel wound up by him take a step back and remember he's a grown man for whom, going by the amount of posts he makes, the main joy of his life is having multiple accounts on a football messageboard and be thankful that that is not you
    Funnily enough, I don't get wound up by him in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's another one that has no relevance. I could say that Swansea have sold last seasons top goalscorer and there bright young thing, Dan James and look how they're playing, but i wouldn't say that.
    People use it when we are not even playing them?!?!?

I even read it after our defeat to Wigan on the opening. “Look how much Fulham have spent and they lost to Barnsley”

Ah that’s ok then. That makes the shit show against Wigan easier to stomach.

Ironically, the same people are not so quick to bring up how much have spent when are playing the likes if Wigan, Reading or Blackburn and not getting results.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People use it when we are not even playing them?!?!?

I even read it after our defeat to Wigan on the opening. “Look how much Fulham have spent and they lost to Barnsley”

Ah that’s ok then. That makes the shit show against Wigan easier to stomach.

Ironically, the same people are not so quick to bring up how much have spent when are playing the likes if Wigan, Reading or Blackburn and not getting results.
    It's the logic of a child. If i did something wrong as a kid then i'd bring something up my sister had done previously, even though me getting caught for shoplifting had absolutely nothing to do with her I wonder if these people apply the same logic in everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’m not saying Cardiff shouldn’t have ambition but just because you want your team to be successful doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. Reading have been in the top flight for three seasons in recent times. So what? We too have spent a fortune on players. Again so what? Lots of clubs have spent tens of millions on players but that does not guarantee success. Just look at Bolton FFS.

The past dozen or so years have been the golden era for my club. I know Cardiff were previously in the top flight before I was born but you have never consistently been a top flight team in the past. Your recent years have been right up there with the most successful in your history. There are no guarantees though.
    I was there in the dungeon days and the football was garbage. I honestly don't know what you're advocating though?

It's a football forum. I see many flaws in our approach as a club which other forward thinking clubs have addressed.

Like I've said recently on this forum we could hardly complain about the approach the club or manager took 2 years ago when we got promoted cos there was an entirely different context.

After going up we were supposed to be following the Burnley model and if we did get relegated the we'd be in a far stronger position to go again.

One year ago we were told that the club weren't prepared for the transfer window before our premier league campaign with the implication that this wouldn't happen again.

This hasn't only happened again but we've undoubtedly performed worse in the transfer market than the year we "weren't prepared".

Aren't we entitled to ask questions?

Should we just blindly support the club like DML1954?

The football is dull and turgid. The lack of structure and planning is painful and as a club I believe we're open to abuse by those who are in positions of power.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I was there in the dungeon days and the football was garbage. I honestly don't know what you're advocating though?

It's a football forum. I see many flaws in our approach as a club which other forward thinking clubs have addressed.

Like I've said recently on this forum we could hardly complain about the approach the club or manager took 2 years ago when we got promoted cos there was an entirely different context.

After going up we were supposed to be following the Burnley model and if we did get relegated the we'd be in a far stronger position to go again.

One year ago we were told that the club weren't prepared for the transfer window before our premier league campaign with the implication that this wouldn't happen again.

This hasn't only happened again but we've undoubtedly performed worse in the transfer market than the year we "weren't prepared".

Aren't we entitled to ask questions?

Should we just blindly support the club like DML1954?

The football is dull and turgid. The lack of structure and planning is painful and as a club I believe we're open to abuse by those who are in positions of power.
    Again I can only repeat it’s still bloody August. Isn’t a bit early in the season for all this? What happens if you now go on a good run?

Again I can only repeat it’s still bloody August. Isn’t a bit early in the season for all this? What happens if you now go on a good run?
    It's not the point.

Not really, Warnock's football is actually getting worse. You know that it's shite, you're just being nice.

Not really, Warnock's football is actually getting worse. You know that it's shite, you're just being nice.
    Was it shite when you won promotion? It was shite against us.

Stop spoiling everybody’s fun Pearcey.

Up until the end of october of the promotion season it was decent. fast flowing, direct but with purpose and controlled aggression. After that it got worse and has been pretty much shite since then.

Up until the end of october of the promotion season it was decent. fast flowing, direct but with purpose and controlled aggression. After that it got worse and has been pretty much shite since then.
    There's a bit of a trend here, though.

Lennie Lawrence took over in 2002 and took us on an incredible run, playing great football, just missing out on promotion. We had a great start to 2002/3 which fizzled after Bristol City stuffed us at home. We were lucky to scrape into the playoffs yet got up.

Dave Jones first few seasons saw us play some great football. His last few seasons saw the good football decline.

Malky's first season again saw us play good football, then that disappeared as we won promotion.

It appears that playing good football and winning promotion has not been hand in hand this side of the millennium.

It wasn't great for the most part, but it was certainly better than it is now.

Oddly enough, the sixth game of that season was also against Fulham and also ended 1-1, but that one was at Craven Cottage. The point kept City top of the table. They were still unbeaten and had twice as many points as they do now.

I think there are some key differences between the 2017/18 squad and the current one. For instance, Bamba was a mainstay of that side. He's currently out injured and it has to be doubtful that he will have quite the same influence when he eventually returns. Hoilett started 44 games and scored 9 goals in 2017/18. He now looks like an impact sub at best. Morrison was a commanding presence at the back. He looks far less steady this season. Manga was a regular in defence. He's gone and his pace is being missed. Zohore was in and out of form, but usually looked more of a handful for Championship defences than Glatzel does. Brayson and Gunnarsson both looked more useful in midfield than Bacuna generally does.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Brayson and Gunnarsson both looked more useful in midfield than Bacuna generally does.
    Thought he retired some years ago? Good player, but not a centre midfielder

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thought he retired some years ago? Good player, but not a centre midfielder
    Brayson, Bryson, both short, same difference.

There's a bit of a trend here, though.

Lennie Lawrence took over in 2002 and took us on an incredible run, playing great football, just missing out on promotion. We had a great start to 2002/3 which fizzled after Bristol City stuffed us at home. We were lucky to scrape into the playoffs yet got up.

Dave Jones first few seasons saw us play some great football. His last few seasons saw the good football decline.

Malky's first season again saw us play good football, then that disappeared as we won promotion.

It appears that playing good football and winning promotion has not been hand in hand this side of the millennium.
    Nah, I’m not having that. Even in Jones last season we still played more attractive football than it ever got under Malky.

Nah, I’m not having that. Even in Jones last season we still played more attractive football than it ever got under Malky.
    Really? After the Jacks gave us a football lesson we were pretty abysmal, grinding out the odd result and winning 3 out of 12. Most of the rest of the season was rubbish with us going long ball because we had no centre midfield. Craig Bellamy arguably dragged us into the playoffs and once he was injured, we were toast. One of the best squads ever but most of the football that season was dreadful.

Malky's first season saw us play some good stuff. We lost the soft underbelly in midfield and were more capable of holding onto a lead. Malky's second season was dire.

There were some great games during Mackay's first season, but many people seem to have erased them from their memories.

Examples: Cardiff 3 Bristol City 1, Peterborough 4 Cardiff 3, Derby 0 Cardiff 3, Cardiff 3 Portsmouth 2, Brighton 2 Cardiff 2. The team played some really good stuff that season, including a 1-1 draw at Blackpool that was a brilliant game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There were some great games during Mackay's first season, but many people seem to have erased them from their memories.

Examples: Cardiff 3 Bristol City 1, Peterborough 4 Cardiff 3, Derby 0 Cardiff 3, Cardiff 3 Portsmouth 2, Brighton 2 Cardiff 2. The team played some really good stuff that season, including a 1-1 draw at Blackpool that was a brilliant game.
    I recently watched some highlights of the league cup semi final against Palace. We absolutely roasted them home and away and it was a freak that it went to penalties. Those performances had an incredible energy to them. We could have scored 4 in the second leg and that wouldn't have been an injustice.

Stop being reasonable Pearcey, you know we don't do that here

Great to see Pearcey talking some sense.
    Even better seeing some Cardiff fans showing some loyalty and appreciation of our great club.

It'll happen in spite of what is going on at the club rather than because of it. I think if I'm being totally honest, I'll admit that there is a degree of fickleness behind my current view of Neil Warnock and the football we play because I'm much more willing to be critical of him and it than I once was. However, the line that you weren't complaining when you were promoted in 17/18 does not wash with me because of what has happened in the interim.

Generally speaking, supporters look to the future optimistically. As gringo alluded to, the summer of 2018 saw manager and money men at Cardiff talking about the Burnley example and there was a definite impression given that our transfer dealings were conducted with one eye on Championship football if we get relegated - loaning Bobby Decordova-Reid out last month to what we thought would be a promotion rival blew that one out of the water.

You saw how bad we were when we played you. That was a season worst performance so far from us, but the worrying thing is that it wasn't so much worse than what we've seen in every other match so far. Friday was a little better because we looked more like a Warnock team in terms of defensive structure and organisation, but, rather than relying on a way of playing to come up with the quality needed to open up defences, we are more dependant on moments of individual brilliance from the three or four "flair" players our manager permits us to field and over last season and this, they have not been doing that often enough.

That could be understood last season because of the jump in standards, but the trend has continued this season - our flair players who are still at the club from two seasons ago are generally not as effective as they were or the replacements brought in are not good and/or consistent enough to maintain previous standards. This is one of the reasons why there is a pretty widespread feeling around that we are becoming ever more Warnock like in our style in terms of attitude and approach to matches.

We go into nearly all of the games we play in "plucky little Cardiff City" mode willing, I sometimes think hoping, to have considerably less than fifty per cent of the ball and looking to capitalise on opposition mistakes - when something happens like Arter's sending off and we are forced to come out and play more, our limitations are clear for all to see,

I've been surprised at the level of criticism there has been of "Warnockball" given that the season has only just started, but I can only think that many people share my feeling that we should be so much better than what we have seen so far. We have advantages over so many of our rivals in this league in that we are getting what I feel are very generous parachute payments, we averaged 31,000 plus last season and have just under twenty thousand season ticket holders this year. We're better off financially than we were in 17/18 with a bigger level of support and yet on the field we're going backwards on the field in terms of entertainment value, level of performance and results with the concern being that those parachute payments will soon run out and there is no way we'll retain the current level of support if we spend this season in our current position playing a brand of football that has absolutely nothign going for it unless we're winning.

Paul. I get that and what others have been saying too. However for Burnley read Charlton, Swansea and to a lesser extent Reading. Teams of that size rarely survive in the top flight for more than a few seasons and I would expect Burnley to go down again over the next two or three seasons. I don’t know of any model that works long term for clubs outside of the big guns.

You were very poor against us and the excessive use of long throw ins to our box showed a lack of imagination. Also allowing Reid to go to Fulham was an absolute shocker. You have made a number of signings though and have a number of key players out injured. Overall I don’t think your squad is too far away at all.

Now if that’s not enough because the type of football you play is ugly then the level of dissatisfaction is going to increase because Warnock isn’t going to change. If you remain mid table all season then I suspect he will eventually go towards the back end of the season. However if you start going on a run then I am absolutely certain the complaints will disappear and talk will focus on promotion.

The point I’m making is the complaints on here have started very early on. We all know that at this stage in the season a team can move up or down the League very quickly. Two or three good results will push a team into the top six. New players need time to bed in. Yesterday I saw Puscas have an absolute stinker. He was terrific against Cardiff. It’s how it is in August. He is getting used to the Championship.

This is my last comment on this. I’m not a Cardiff fan so am perhaps intruding too much. From the outside though I really don’t think it’s that bad for the club. The season has only just started.

Really? After the Jacks gave us a football lesson we were pretty abysmal, grinding out the odd result and winning 3 out of 12. Most of the rest of the season was rubbish with us going long ball because we had no centre midfield. Craig Bellamy arguably dragged us into the playoffs and once he was injured, we were toast. One of the best squads ever but most of the football that season was dreadful.

Malky's first season saw us play some good stuff. We lost the soft underbelly in midfield and were more capable of holding onto a lead. Malky's second season was dire.
    Yes, really, we scored 10 more goals in Jones last season than we did in Malkys first for starters.

The 4-0 drubbing of Leeds at Elland Rd in Jones last season was scintillating and probably defined Jones football at its very best.

How anyone can say Malkys football in his first season was better than Jones last 2 seasons is beyond me.