Click here for Cardiff City personalised gift shop
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: VAR and Soccer Saturday

  1. #1

    VAR and Soccer Saturday

    They were discussing VAR earlier, and the feeling was that it is NOT being used to correct "clear andobvious mistakes", but to back up the ref on the pitch - "Mates' rates" they called it.
    Just now, they said there should have been a clear red card in the Leicester game, ref missed it, VAR showed it should have been red,... but nothing given!

    Courruption amongst "worst refs in the world"?
    Shirley not.

  2. #2

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    That was Tielemans on Wilson. Red card every single time, and yes exactly the incident that VAR is supposed to help with.

  3. #3

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Bloody awful thing get rid off (VAR )

  4. #4

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    We'd be better off going back to the Laws of the Game as they were 30 years ago before they started fiddling with them:

    - off sides and interfering with play
    - hand ball and unintentional hand ball
    - back passes
    - goalkeepers at penalties
    - goal kicks to players within the box
    - kick offs taken backwards
    ... etc.

    If the original Laws were brought back and applied as they should be then the game would be in a far better state. Interpretation always gives a get-out to bad decisions.

    StT.
    <><

  5. #5

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    If the original Laws were brought back and applied as they should be then the game would be in a far better state. Interpretation always gives a get-out to bad decisions.<
    The original rules? So you want to see no offsides at all, no substitutes, keepers getting the shit kicked out of them, etc?

  6. #6

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The original rules? So you want to see no offsides at all, no substitutes, keepers getting the shit kicked out of them, etc?
    Oh yes , and jumpers for goalposts

  7. #7

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    We'd be better off going back to the Laws of the Game as they were 30 years ago before they started fiddling with them:

    - off sides and interfering with play
    - hand ball and unintentional hand ball
    - back passes
    - goalkeepers at penalties
    - goal kicks to players within the box
    - kick offs taken backwards
    ... etc.

    If the original Laws were brought back and applied as they should be then the game would be in a far better state. Interpretation always gives a get-out to bad decisions.

    StT.
    <><
    You want to see back passes, fewer goals per game and the creative players kicked out of matches?

    Can't agree with that.

    And why is the ball going backwards at kick off (you mean forwards) rule a problem? How has that made the game worse?

  8. #8

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You want to see back passes, fewer goals per game and the creative players kicked out of matches?

    Can't agree with that.

    And why is the ball going backwards at kick off (you mean forwards) rule a problem? How has that made the game worse?
    The clue was: "as they should be ..."

    StT.
    <><

  9. #9

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The original rules? So you want to see no offsides at all, no substitutes, keepers getting the shit kicked out of them, etc?
    Jumping to conclusions, Mr Gunman. You actually need to read what I said. I did not say the original rules. I repeat, I wrote, "the Laws of the Game as they were 30 years ago." Furthermore I did not say I advocated players having lumps kicked out of them.

    StT.
    <><

  10. #10

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    The clue was: "as they should be ..."

    StT.
    <><
    That doesn't answer my questions.

  11. #11

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    2 points for a win, 1 substitute (for injuries only), referees wearing blazers

    Bring it on.

  12. #12

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Jumping to conclusions, Mr Gunman. You actually need to read what I said. I did not say the original rules. I repeat, I wrote, "the Laws of the Game as they were 30 years ago."
    You said, and I quote: "If the original Laws were brought back and applied as they should be then the game would be in a far better state."

    The laws of the game 30 years ago were not the original laws, obviously.

    It comes as no surprise whatsoever that you believe things were better 30 years ago during what you regard as 'your' era and that time should have stood still since then. That's a trait of so many men of your age and of my age too. It is, of course, a daft notion.

    In my opinion, the changes to the offside laws have generally benefitted the game, as have keepers not being able to pick up back passes, while other minor tweaks such as the ball being able to go backwards from a kick-off and three substitutes being available rather than one or two are sensible rather than problematic, and goal line technology is a definite and clear benefit.

    VAR is rubbish though, as is the new handball rule.

  13. #13

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You said, and I quote: "If the original Laws were brought back and applied as they should be then the game would be in a far better state."

    The laws of the game 30 years ago were not the original laws, obviously.

    It comes as no surprise whatsoever that you believe things were better 30 years ago during what you regard as 'your' era and that time should have stood still since then. That's a trait of so many men of your age and of my age too. It is, of course, a daft notion.

    In my opinion, the changes to the offside laws have generally benefitted the game, as have keepers not being able to pick up back passes, while other minor tweaks such as the ball being able to go backwards from a kick-off and three substitutes being available rather than one or two are sensible rather than problematic, and goal line technology is a definite and clear benefit.

    VAR is rubbish though, as is the new handball rule.
    What are your thoughts on the goalkeeper being able to pass a goal kick inside the box?
    It seems to contradict the back pass rule to me in as much it just wastes time and adds nothing to the game.

  14. #14

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    What are your thoughts on the goalkeeper being able to pass a goal kick inside the box?
    It seems to contradict the back pass rule to me in as much it just wastes time and adds nothing to the game.
    How does it waste time? Teams can do exactly the same tactic as before but have a bit more space to do it in.

  15. #15

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    What are your thoughts on the goalkeeper being able to pass a goal kick inside the box?
    It seems to contradict the back pass rule to me in as much it just wastes time and adds nothing to the game.
    I agree it adds nothing to the game. It seems a really odd change as I don't know what was perceived to be the problem in the first place. It benefitted City against Huddersfield, though. I couldn't believe how often they were trying to pass the ball around their own penalty area from goal kicks. It was just idiotic on their part as it was so easy for the City lads to quickly close them down and put them in trouble.

  16. #16

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I agree it adds nothing to the game. It seems a really odd change as I don't know what was perceived to be the problem in the first place. It benefitted City against Huddersfield, though. I couldn't believe how often they were trying to pass the ball around their own penalty area from goal kicks. It was just idiotic on their part as it was so easy for the City lads to quickly close them down and put them in trouble.
    Yes almost as itís a nice shiny new law some teams feel they should take Ďadvantageí of it.

    I think you are correct in that it will benefit teams like Cardiff who will likely never use it than teams who will.

  17. #17

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I agree it adds nothing to the game. It seems a really odd change as I don't know what was perceived to be the problem in the first place. It benefitted City against Huddersfield, though. I couldn't believe how often they were trying to pass the ball around their own penalty area from goal kicks. It was just idiotic on their part as it was so easy for the City lads to quickly close them down and put them in trouble.
    I can’t see the point of the new goal kick law, goalies have very often in the past had the ball at their feet in the six yard box during open play yet it was very rare that a defender would run back to receive a two yard pass from him. I know from the goal kick the attackers have to be outside the box but they’re still close enough to create pressure. Teams like Huddersfield, thinking that they’re better footballers than they are, are committing suicide doing it. Oh for someone like a young Craig Bellamy in these situations, he’d have had Huddersfield’s pants down every time. As for Fulham using it the other night, I wasn’t sure what type of football was more mind numbing, our hit and hope or their two centre backs playing keep ball deep in their half.

  18. #18

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How does it waste time? Teams can do exactly the same tactic as before but have a bit more space to do it in.
    I bow to your greater knowledge of the game.

  19. #19

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I bow to your greater knowledge of the game.
    Well thanks, but if it's timewasting then that's a tactic, not a rule problem.

    A free kick, corner, penalty, etc only have to move one ball circumference before someone else touches it, but a goal kick has to travel however many yards? Come on, it didn't make sense.

  20. #20

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I can’t see the point of the new goal kick law, goalies have very often in the past had the ball at their feet in the six yard box during open play yet it was very rare that a defender would run back to receive a two yard pass from him. I know from the goal kick the attackers have to be outside the box but they’re still close enough to create pressure. Teams like Huddersfield, thinking that they’re better footballers than they are, are committing suicide doing it. Oh for someone like a young Craig Bellamy in these situations, he’d have had Huddersfield’s pants down every time. As for Fulham using it the other night, I wasn’t sure what type of football was more mind numbing, our hit and hope or their two centre backs playing keep ball deep in their half.
    As a tactic, I think it's silly for all but the top teams who have ball players at the back. As a rule change, it's fine.

  21. #21

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Well thanks, but if it's timewasting then that's a tactic, not a rule problem.

    A free kick, corner, penalty, etc only have to move one ball circumference before someone else touches it, but a goal kick has to travel however many yards? Come on, it didn't make sense.
    They've made a rule change that can be exploited as a time wasting ploy.
    How does it add anything to football?
    Who thought I know we'll improve the game by letting goalkeepers pass to defenders in their own box from goal kicks.
    Someone is getting paid money to come up with this shit in the modern game.

  22. #22

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    They've made a rule change that can be exploited as a time wasting ploy.
    How does it add anything to football?
    Who thought I know we'll improve the game by letting goalkeepers pass to defenders in their own box from goal kicks.
    Someone is getting paid money to come up with this shit in the modern game.
    I don't know where time wasting comes into it, to be honest.

  23. #23

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I don't know where time wasting comes into it, to be honest.
    Maybe I've worded it wrong for time wasting substitute unnecessary passes that add absolutely fa to the entertainment of the game.

  24. #24

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Maybe I've worded it wrong for time wasting substitute unnecessary passes that add absolutely fa to the entertainment of the game.
    I can sympthaise with that, tapping it round at the back is boring. But blame the teams for that, not the authorities.

    Now var, that is something serious that's wrecking the game.

  25. #25

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    This has gone off topic a bit, but VAR has had a right slagging today on at least 3 programs.
    Sunday Supplement also said there was "appalling referreeing" on the pitch as well as at Stockley Park (where VAR is centred). How come they don't get fined, but Warnock does?

  26. #26

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    This has gone off topic a bit, but VAR has had a right slagging today on at least 3 programs.
    Sunday Supplement also said there was "appalling referreeing" on the pitch as well as at Stockley Park (where VAR is centred). How come they don't get fined, but Warnock does?
    Why does a manager get fined by the FA but people on TV don't?

  27. #27

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    How come they don't get fined, but Warnock does?
    Warnock doesn't get find for poor managerial performances. He gets fined for gobbing off about referees.

  28. #28

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Warnock doesn't get find for poor managerial performances. He gets fined for gobbing off about referees.
    Usually to mask a poor performance.

  29. #29

    Re: VAR and Soccer Saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I agree it adds nothing to the game. It seems a really odd change as I don't know what was perceived to be the problem in the first place. It benefitted City against Huddersfield, though. I couldn't believe how often they were trying to pass the ball around their own penalty area from goal kicks. It was just idiotic on their part as it was so easy for the City lads to quickly close them down and put them in trouble.
    The problem was that there was no punishment for receiving the ball inside the box, it was simply a retake. So if the keeper played a sloppy pass, the defender could step in and retake the goal kick, stopping the attacker from nipping in and scoring.

    The handball rule though, is an absolute p*sstake. I was at a league meeting discussing the new rules and the lead ref (refereed in EFL for 10+ seasons) who was running the training described it as "people making decisions for the sake of making decisions".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •