+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How about moving to 5 substitutes?

How about moving to 5 substitutes?

Yes, the speed of change would have to be much quicker to stop the game being slowed down. That can be achieved.

But it could have a bigger impact on tactics, make the game more interesting and give more squad p,Ayers a chance to play.

I was looking at the Juventus V Napoli match squads and noticed they have 11 + 12 for their match day squad?

Re: How about moving to 5 substitutes?

Jeeez! it'll be like American football next - changing the whole team when we lose/gain possession.

Three subs is enough as far as I'm concerned. Five would only slow the game down further.

I remember when it was two subs on the bench. When the keeper got injured or sent off the tallest player would go in goals. Fun times

Absolutely! We need less subs not more. Sub keepers were the crappest thing to happen.

Vinnie Jones and Robbie savage in goal- only happens occasionally now sadly.

grassroots football manage with rolling subs, player is ready to go on, ball out of play, " Oi Ref, making a sub " ref gives thumbs up and player runs on with the other coming off, not sure we need subs taking 3 mins each, when did we get to that point ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Three subs is enough as far as I'm concerned. Five would only slow the game down further.
    It doesn’t need to slow the game down at all.
    The 4th or 5th official signs off a player being ready to come on and takes responsibility for the changeover. The player coming off is identified. They change whilst the game is IN PLAY like handing over the baton in athletics but on the touch line wherever they deem to make the change or at a fixed point. Irrespective of three of five this would avoid the need for the game to have a prolonged stoppage whilst players walk off.