+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Devils make it 2 from 2 in Champions League

Devils make it 2 from 2 in Champions League

Astonishing, no longer the whipping boys, superb result, Ben Bowns stops 7 out of 7 in the shoot-out.

Re: Devils make it 2 from 2 in Champions League

Used to love watching them as a kid. Might get a ST for me and my daughter seeing as she’s given up on football so soon.

Quite expensive for a season ticket but it’s great entertainment even if you’re not familiar with the rules.

I used to love the rink in the centre of cardiff and its atmospheres, the cooper brothers were mad

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Astonishing, no longer the whipping boys, superb result, Ben Bowns stops 7 out of 7 in the shoot-out.
    I've never been to an Ice Hockey game but always look out for the result. I don't understand the game either. How good are the Devils? If they played one of the best teams in the world would it be like Man City playing Macclesfield? is that the sort of gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've never been to an Ice Hockey game but always look out for the result. I don't understand the game either. How good are the Devils? If they played one of the best teams in the world would it be like Man City playing Macclesfield? is that the sort of gap.
    The Devils have had a good couple of seasons and are by far the best team in the league since 2016.

A journeyman NHL enforcer played 11 games for the Devils and lit the league up. It would be the equivalent of Man City playing Merthyr Town.

Yeah poor quality compared to Canada, US and Russia but superb viewing.

Here's a maybe. Could some of the hockey rules be adapted to football. E.g. fixed offside line? In the event of a draw 5 mins extra time each way with golden goal. Guaranteed 1 point for a draw at full time. If no golden goal it goes to penalties so there is always a winner ( even if it went to 14 attempts to get one like at the Devils last night). Winner gets 2 points for extra time or penalty shoot out win. Oh...and refs that turn a blind eye, sometimes, to criminal assault. Maybe not the last one. In reality such rule changes wouldn't be welcomed....tv schedules would go to pot, coach drivers hours wouldn't be known, booking a return train would be a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The rules of ice hockey are pretty straight forward.The comparison of Devils playing level to be like Macclesfield playing Man.City is utter rubbish.Devils skill level now,and other top british teams too,i would say is almost on a par with Europe's top teams and getting stronger every year,as was demonstrated with the weekend's champions league results.
    Two years ago devils beat Vaxjo,the champions of Sweden 5-1.Vaxjo went on to be beaten finalists that season.
    On an international level GB are a pool A team competing against the world's top countries.
    The problem ice hockey has is the media coverage is abyssmal at best, non-existent at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    The rules of ice hockey are pretty straight forward.The comparison of Devils playing level to be like Macclesfield playing Man.City is utter rubbish.Devils skill level now,and other top british teams too,i would say is almost on a par with Europe's top teams and getting stronger every year,as was demonstrated with the weekend's champions league results.
    Two years ago devils beat Vaxjo,the champions of Sweden 5-1.Vaxjo went on to be beaten finalists that season.
    On an international level GB are a pool A team competing against the world's top countries.
    The problem ice hockey has is the media coverage is abyssmal at best, non-existent at worst.
    Didn’t a journeyman turn up here from North America (so probably not up to their standards at this point) and light up the league? (Another poster said this)
    Would the devils compete with the North American’s and the other top TOP teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Thanks for that. I didn't make a comparison, i asked a question.

Devils are currently on freesports for those who are interested. Winning 3-1 away in graz, Austria. If they hold on it will be 3 wins from 4 in the champions league which would be a phenomenal achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    Devils are currently on freesports for those who are interested. Winning 3-1 away in graz, Austria. If they hold on it will be 3 wins from 4 in the champions league which would be a phenomenal achievement.
    5-2 win

Guessing 1 more win guarantees them a place in the knockouts. Great stuff.

Looks like they play each team twice rather than using the same format as the football, so they have to play the team in second home and away

Yes, the team in second (Frolunda Indians) are the current holders of the champions league as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are intrigued by hockey but have never been to a game and so I'd encourage those people to get down to the arena and support the devils for that match in October. Still tickets available!