+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Laptop advice needed

OT Laptop advice needed

Hi all,

sorry off topic,
    i'm just starting out and looking for a business laptop as cheap as possible.
    will need to be able to be very quick on the internet, able to run an online database, and also navigate word files/pdf's quickly.
    i have an Acer at present and it is very very slow.
    Looking for as cheap as possible but needs to be reliable (although will back up wont be able to work without it).
    sorry to post this here as whatever I google im just getting either high end or inconsistent advice would just like to hear of any that people can recommend from their own personal experience.

Re: OT Laptop advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Hi all,

sorry off topic,
    i'm just starting out and looking for a business laptop as cheap as possible.
    will need to be able to be very quick on the internet, able to run an online database, and also navigate word files/pdf's quickly.
    i have an Acer at present and it is very very slow.
    Looking for as cheap as possible but needs to be reliable (although will back up wont be able to work without it).
    sorry to post this here as whatever I google im just getting either high end or inconsistent advice would just like to hear of any that people can recommend from their own personal experience.
    How cheap is cheap?

I just set up this machine for a client

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-2...es/version.asp

Works nice and fast with the SSD hard drive. I'd recommend the basic spec you need is an i5 or i7 8th gen processor, 8gb RAM and an SSD drive.

the laptop linked for £500 was the best I felt matched the spec required - and is unusual to get an i7 processor at that price.

Lots of laptops with similar spec costing £600 and £700.

There is an i5 Lenovo which is similar that's a little bit cheaper.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/leno...uk/version.asp

Thanks for that Mike, looks a little more than i had planned, but need to make sure i don't get one that is too slow. Thanks for the advice on the spec needed as i'm not tech savvy (as you can probably guess from my original post!)

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Thanks for that Mike, looks a little more than i had planned, but need to make sure i don't get one that is too slow. Thanks for the advice on the spec needed as i'm not tech savvy (as you can probably guess from my original post!)
    Funnily enough the people who had the HP bought an Acer just in April but with an i3 / 4gb Ram and a spinning hard disk and they couldn't stand the slow speed so asked me to get them another computer as it was driving them nuts.

Buy a second hand Lenovo x230 and update the innards. My son at Oxford Uni did this for me and I now have a top spec laptop all for 150 notes and its faster than than the 1.5k one it replaced.