+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question

Serious question

Re: Serious question

If we tried to, and were playing someone giving us as much time and space as that?
    Maybe

That's the first thing I thought, look how much space they were given. However you only had to see the goal than Calum Paterson scored against Brighton at home last season, when everyone of the players touched the ball to realise that they can do it.

To me City are instructed to play a certain way and follow those instructions to the letter. I know this doesn't entail misplaced passes but if the players are encouraged to get rid of the ball as soon as possible is it any wonder that they don't look comfortable with the ball at their feet.

If a new regime took over I'm sure even the current crop of players could adapt to a more fluent passing game. I think the vast majority of us fans are already crying out for a new approach. It will be interesting to see if the Board feels the same way next season, that's assuming that NW retires of course.

no we couldn't score a goal like that under the present regime .

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    no we couldn't score a goal like that under the present regime .
    We did against Brighton last year though.

I must admit, I do like teams that try to play it out from the back. Think the 1st time I saw it was the the brilliant Dutch team in the 70’s.
    Saying that, you do need the players to have a modicum of talent to play that way, especially if your facing a team that press high and are in your face as your trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Yes

Mozzer2

I couldn't open city123's file but I assume it must show the complete move that lead to the goal, not the abridged version.

Indeed, the commentators highlighted the move as every city play was involved, not something we were known for. Cheeky beggers !

I am finally able to open City123's file and yes it does show all the players touching the ball. Different commentary to the one I referred to but not a bad move for a hoofball team.

Depend if we won the 50/50 ball from the long boot out and if the subsequent headers eventually fell to one of our players. Then, maybe.

Does it matter it ended up in the net? For a good 2 minutes Rochdale controlled the tempo of the game, demonstrated that each had good enough touch to not invite pressure and passed around defenders rather than trying to run through them with greater effort. If we could demonstrate those skills in our game, and I believe we have players capable of it, then being able to mix up our tactics would have stopped the end of the Fulham game being so predictable.

We did score one goal a bit like that last season following fifteen passes or something. I can recall Chris Camara saying that if Real Madrid did it everyone would be wetting themselves, but I can't remember which game it was.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    We did score one goal a bit like that last season following fifteen passes or something. I can recall Chris Camara saying that if Real Madrid did it everyone would be wetting themselves, but I can't remember which game it was.
    Not that memorable then.

Lot of memorable moments last season

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Not that memorable then.

The opponents are Southend played 6 lost 6 nil point.
    Hardly an acid test is it.

CardiffCitySince1927

Yes. On two occasions actually...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q6oGEVuaXk
    Leeds vs Cardiff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUUIU4BBXGQ
    Brighton vs Cardiff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4557bLrXRQ
    Cardiff youth team can even

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Without question.

If we were playing a team at that level. I had no idea that the game was SO slow 🙈

I saw a Sunday League game on the weekend and the players were comfortable on the ball and passed it around better than City. If they can do then City definitely can!

Why would anyone prefer a long ball game to that?

Do you get an extra goal or point if you make so many passes before a goal?

They were playing the mighty Southend having previously drawn their last 2 league games 0-0 against Blackpool and Shrewsbury.

So I'm guessing it's a flash in the pan; and yes as mentioned above on the odd occasion we can produce similar.

The problem is that the 'WE' in the Brighton video a far better side than the 'WE' we have are seeing at the moment. It's got Bamba, Manga and important contributions from Camarasa and Harris.

So unless we were also playing Southend in an important league match I'd say that move would be very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Do you get an extra goal or point if you make so many passes before a goal?

They were playing the mighty Southend having previously drawn their last 2 league games 0-0 against Blackpool and Shrewsbury.

So I'm guessing it's a flash in the pan; and yes as mentioned above on the odd occasion we can produce similar.
    I don't get your point. Of course you don't get extra points for passes but it's how you open teams up with a bit work on the training ground rather than playing percentages all the time.

Rochdale opened Southend up by moving them out of position and creating holes. Their forward players drifted into pockets in between lines to pull defenders out of position (something incidentally we never ever do) and the speed of the passing ramped up as the opportunity arose.

It may have been against Southend but we didn't create anything remotely similar against Luton B team the other day with a squad that's just been relegated from the premier league.

Everyone who is saying it's against Southend should remember that I'm not highlighting a goal by Fulham or West Brom here but by Rochdale, a team who's budget is probably about 20 times less than ours (at least)

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't get your point. Of course you don't get extra points for passes but it's how you open teams up with a bit work on the training ground rather than playing percentages all the time.

Rochdale opened Southend up by moving them out of position and creating holes. Their forward players drifted into pockets in between lines to pull defenders out of position (something incidentally we never ever do) and the speed of the passing ramped up as the opportunity arose.

It may have been against Southend but we didn't create anything remotely similar against Luton B team the other day with a squad that's just been relegated from the premier league.

Everyone who is saying it's against Southend should remember that I'm not highlighting a goal by Fulham or West Brom here but by Rochdale, a team who's budget is probably about 20 times less than ours (at least)
    Obviously we see it different, but it looks like extremely poor defending by Southend to me. The passing and movement is good but Southend just seem to walk/drift out of position. If it's all about the work on the training ground why couldn't they replicate it against Blackpool or Shrewsbury?

In any event it's one goal. It's no different to me pulling out a youtube clip of a long punted ball up-field that results in someone like Madrid etc scoring and saying.. 'if it's good enough for Madrid it's gone enough for us'.

I'm sure there are plenty of goals showing Rochdale 'playing the percentages'. There are individual examples of us scoring goals following a number of passes in this thread already, though I appreciate they're not the norm.