+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question

Re: Serious question

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I saw a Sunday League game on the weekend and the players were comfortable on the ball and passed it around better than City. If they can do then City definitely can!
    I watch a welsh amateur league team that have started to implement a passing style and pressing high up the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Obviously we see it different, but it looks like extremely poor defending by Southend to me. The passing and movement is good but Southend just seem to walk/drift out of position. If it's all about the work on the training ground why couldn't they replicate it against Blackpool or Shrewsbury?

In any event it's one goal. It's no different to me pulling out a youtube clip of a long punted ball up-field that results in someone like Madrid etc scoring and saying.. 'if it's good enough for Madrid it's gone enough for us'.

I'm sure there are plenty of goals showing Rochdale 'playing the percentages'. There are individual examples of us scoring goals following a number of passes in this thread already, though I appreciate they're not the norm.
    There has been one goal about a year ago and one goal at u23 level.

We're talking about Rochdale here!

If I was pulling out a Man City goal from the weekend then I'd understand.

I guess my point is that we don't pass the ball like that at all and I'd like to know the longest spell of possession we have in a game!

As much as people like to blame Warnock I think during a match the players have to take responsibility.

Yes we undoubtedly have a direct tactic but does that mean they can't ever take the ball down and pass when in space, that they can't be told they have space and have the confidence to take a touch.

Sometimes it's on them to assess the situation as it unfolds and if the pass is on then use it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I guess my point is that we don't pass the ball like that at all and I'd like to know the longest spell of possession we have in a game!
    That’ll be when Morrison is wiping down the ball before a long throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    As much as people like to blame Warnock I think during a match the players have to take responsibility.

Yes we undoubtedly have a direct tactic but does that mean they can't ever take the ball down and pass when in space, that they can't be told they have space and have the confidence to take a touch.

Sometimes it's on them to assess the situation as it unfolds and if the pass is on then use it.
    What if they e been told to play a certain way, decide to pass it about and lose it and concede a goal?

I think players will always play how they are told. It’s not worth being benched for tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

I don't think that's the case though mate.

I watched Warnock go bananas recently when Bennett attempted to overlap.

My memory is a bit vague too but I'm sure in one of his recent press conferences he alluded to something along these lines regarding players not listening to his instructions (ie they didn't get the ball into dangerous areas enough)

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    What if they e been told to play a certain way, decide to pass it about and lose it and concede a goal?

I think players will always play how they are told. It’s not worth being benched for tbh.
    It also gives them someone to blame when things go wrong.

That Brighton goal is an unusual for us for more than just the obvious reason. Looking at it again, I was struck that there were plenty of chances for the ball to be played back to Etheridge for him to boot it up the pitch that were not taken. Often, if one our defenders has the ball just inside their own half, they will play it back to our keeper who will kick it long and the ball is invariably given back to our opponents - I have assumed that we do this to try and draw the opposition further up the pitch because, otherwise, it's a ploy that makes no sense to me.

There is plenty of criticism from supporters, myself included, about our the poor technique of our players, but, while I would say that they are probably not as good as many of our opponents as a squad when it comes to skill. I don't think they are as bad as they sometimes look - the way we play is responsible for that.

I've watched Blaenrhondda play seven or eight times now since moving up here and last season they were promoted to the Premier Division of the Highadmit South Wales Alliance from Division One. That tells you what sort of standard I'm talking about, but I can honestly say that they will try to play the sort of game seen by Rochdale in that clip more in a single ninety minutes than City would in a month.

Well if it works at that level I can't see why it wouldn't work in the premiership or championship.
    Unbelievable !

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well if it works at that level I can't see why it wouldn't work in the premiership or championship.
    Unbelievable !
    Because the opposition is better.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Because the opposition is better.
    I think it's his lame attempt at sarcasm mate

Fishing for bites.

If it was sarcastic I'm sorry, but it's a ridiculous comparison.

Unbelievable !
    Oh God, I see with this reply and the thread you started about all of our negative supporters, you are off on one today - I'm not very interested, but what is it that I said which so outraged you?

I don't think that's the case though mate.

I watched Warnock go bananas recently when Bennett attempted to overlap.

My memory is a bit vague too but I'm sure in one of his recent press conferences he alluded to something along these lines regarding players not listening to his instructions (ie they didn't get the ball into dangerous areas enough)
    Only because we had just retaken the lead in the match and there was very little time left to play.

Could we score a goal like that. Of course there is nothing complicated in what was done it's not like it was tight passing around the box. Knocked it arou Nd the back made the pitch big by sitting deep knocked a ball out wide and ball in for a tap in.

Everyone has this obsession of trying to play like this. The ones who have had success are the ones who started doing it earlier than everyone else bournemouth Swansea etc..

When everyone is a carbon copy of each other what wins is better players. We probably won't score a goal like that but the ball.hitting the net is the most important thing.

Teams aren't playing against what we do week in week out which is why so many struggle.

Yes the season hasn't been great but it's very early and the last 2 were as good as it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Teams aren't playing against what we do week in week out which is why so many struggle.
    I haven't seen many teams struggling in the last 15 months

Unbelievable !
    You’re funny. 🤨

Could we score a goal like that. Of course there is nothing complicated in what was done it's not like it was tight passing around the box. Knocked it arou Nd the back made the pitch big by sitting deep knocked a ball out wide and ball in for a tap in.

Everyone has this obsession of trying to play like this. The ones who have had success are the ones who started doing it earlier than everyone else bournemouth Swansea etc..

When everyone is a carbon copy of each other what wins is better players. We probably won't score a goal like that but the ball.hitting the net is the most important thing.

Yes the season hasn't been great but it's very early and the last 2 were as good as it has been.
    Last season was as good as it gets? You must be easily pleased.

Your last but one paragraph may have applied the morning after we won promotion, but we've played forty four league matches since then and while "so many" of our opponents may have struggled with our approach, far more of them have beaten us than been beaten by us.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Last season was as good as it gets? You must be easily pleased.
    Not as good as it gets but in the last 60 seasons have only finished higher twice. It's about expectations

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Your last but one paragraph may have applied the morning after we won promotion, but we've played forty four league matches since then and while "so many" of our opponents may have struggled with our approach, far more of them have beaten us than been beaten by us.
    That's because we are playing much better teams let's not forget how many points most expected us to finish

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Do you get an extra goal or point if you make so many passes before a goal?

The greater the space between you and the person you are intending to pass to, the less control you have in general terms.

Shorter passes and good movement would mean more control. If you can control the ball, and do it well, that would potentially mean more opportunities, more goals and more points.

So yes, “more passes” or controlling exactly where the ball goes CAN increase goal scoring and points accumulation.

Passing with purpose is what I want to see from a City team, allied with a dogged determination to better our opponents, which is where NW's strength lies.

We will never establish ourselves in the way Leicester and others have playing a hit and hope game. There has to be a better and more sustainable way of building a football team. It may take a little while to do this after NW has left the club but this is surely the way to go.

Unfortunately most clubs with ambition will have the same blueprint to elevate their teams to the next level so we will have a battle on our hands to compete with them.

For every goal I've seen with this kind of passing up the pitch, I can also remember a defender losing the ball outside his own box that leads to a goal conceded. Look how much trouble we gave Arsenal at home last season when they tried playing out from the back and they have some fantastic footballers.