+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: References after job offer

References after job offer

Anyone have experience of this?

Got a job offer conditional on references.

Thing is, I have worked at only one company for over 15 years. Would I need a second reference? I understand references these daysjust list factual information like start date, end date, role, sick leave and stuff like that.

Re: References after job offer

You can use two people from the same company, they don't have to be your direct superiors either. Anyone in a position of responsibility over subordinates even a co-worker can do it. You should talk to them first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    Anyone have experience of this?

Got a job offer conditional on references.

Thing is, I have worked at only one company for over 15 years. Would I need a second reference? I understand references these daysjust list factual information like start date, end date, role, sick leave and stuff like that.
    If the people offering the new job want two references you can explain the situation and ask if they will accept a personal reference. If so then ask someone who has known you for a good few years to write a letter saying that he/she has known you for x years and what a good person you are

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You can use two people from the same company, they don't have to be your direct superiors either. Anyone in a position of responsibility over subordinates even a co-worker can do it. You should talk to them first though.
    But if the company has a policy of only supplying factual information as mentioned in the OP that might not do much good

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    But if the company has a policy of only supplying factual information as mentioned in the OP that might not do much good
    Yeah, company only issues references through HR and does not allow managers to offer their own reference in addition.

I have an old manager who will give me a ref if needed, but she told me my new company should accept just the one reference.

most companys now only accept references from HR only . that seems to have crept in the last few years .could have been any senior team member in the past

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    most companys now only accept references from HR only . that seems to have crept in the last few years .could have been any senior team member in the past
    Yeah, that's what I understand. Just to confirm your CV matches up with the reality I guess.

In the UK references are not personal, they are given by the employing organisation. And as the OP says, they are purely factual. The moment you (personally) get asked for a reference you refer it to HR who confirm start date and end date. If there was a standard fee for a reference it could be more tailored, but at present the reference system is limited to factual information for fear of litigation.

So get your work reference and then ask the new employer what to do. You may still get a factual reference from your previous employer, but the fact that you've been at your present place for 15 years gives your new employer a nice problem to have really.

And congrats on the new job

2 reasons I,m told . to stop your mates giving you a good reference and if you didn't get on with your boss to stop them giving your future employer a bad reference which in my opinion is good . HR doesn't have to give any detail about you as a person anymore just a start and finish date of your employment . had to give a reference out like that a few years ago

2 reasons I,m told . to stop your mates giving you a good reference and if you didn't get on with your boss to stop them giving your future employer a bad reference which in my opinion is good . HR doesn't have to give any detail about you as a person anymore just a start and finish date of your employment . had to give a reference out like that a few years ago
    Sort of. And then add a negligence law suit. Get a good reference and turns out you are shite? New employer sues. Get a shite reference and you are actually excellent but you don't get the job? You sue.

Add a fee for a reference and limit liability in contract and it opens the door to something a bit more helpful.

yeah just didn't want to go into the legal side . didn't want to scare the death out of the original poster -lol

the 1 filled in was just a start date and end date of employment and that was it and HR to sign and date . no legal team could argue with that -lol

I dont like these factual references, I feel like Im short changing people if I rate them and want to say something positive but case law and fear of being sued has changed all that.

In my job we give start/finish date and if asked for, details of any disciplinary. Id suggest explaining the situation and offer a personal referee if its mandatory to have two.

And if you're ever asked to give a reference and don't want to, never write anything negative. Just refuse to give one. Did that once and the fact I refused said enough to the prospective employer. Even though I could have backed up every word, writing what I really thought would have got very messy

yeah just didn't want to go into the legal side . didn't want to scare the death out of the original poster -lol

the 1 filled in was just a start date and end date of employment and that was it and HR to sign and date . no legal team could argue with that -lol
    +GDPR. In theory they can't even release any salary or benefits information without your permission. You also have to give your current employer permission to retain you data for future references, otherwise they have to wipe it.

I just gave someone a reference for a job in London. It was just a form list with answers ranging from 1-5. No mention of dates or salary.

I just gave someone a reference for a job in London. It was just a form list with answers ranging from 1-5. No mention of dates or salary.
    New employer can ask for what they want, the question is whether the current UK employer would give it.
    And if you are based in the US, clearly the custom is different. We employ loads of Aussies and Americans and they often feel short changed by the UK references we give, and often go back to their previous Australian or American employees for something a bit more colourful.

On the rare occasion I'm asked for a reference, i make sure I've validated the employee on LinkedIn (assuming they are not shite). I've also interviewed people who have brought in the copy of their last few annual appraisals which is quite a neat way around it.