+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: First of all - let's dispense with the rugby-style kick-offs, can we?

First of all - let's dispense with the rugby-style kick-offs, can we?

Every time we kick-off we are so predictable... the ball is hoofed (yes, hoofed!) out wide, up in the air, and in the "general" direction of Paterson. It's akin to a rugby outside-half lofting the ball towards the touchline to bring his forwards into play. Any opposition who have watched us play for the last 4-5 games would be wise to this tactic. It's like the best we are hoping for is a throw-in. It just seems to set the tone of the game right from the very off.

People criticise us for being a very limited side (hard to argue with that to be fair), however, we always look much better when we keep it down and try to play.

Re: First of all - let's dispense with the rugby-style kick-offs, can we?

we stopped doing this for the last couple of months, yet last night we went back to it. It's like the improvements we've made were thrown away,

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    we stopped doing this for the last couple of months, yet last night we went back to it. It's like the improvements we've made were thrown away,
    It was as if the plan was to outmuscle one of the most physically imposing sides in the division and yet when we play Arsenal we seem to want to take them on in a football match - odd.

I noticed Wales adopting this tactic at the start of the second half. Maybe Giggs has been taking tips from our Neil!

When I used to play under 11s football, our very nice but very clueless coach had two kick-off routines. Kick off A was: straight from kick off, big lad hoofs it as far as he can and 4 players chase after it. Kick off B was: big lad passes it back to small midfielder who hoofs it as far as he can, and 4 players chase after it.

The problem with kick off A is that back then, the first touch from kick off had to go backwards but we were never called up on it.

Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    When I used to play under 11s football, our very nice but very clueless coach had two kick-off routines. Kick off A was: straight from kick off, big lad hoofs it as far as he can and 4 players chase after it. Kick off B was: big lad passes it back to small midfielder who hoofs it as far as he can, and 4 players chase after it.

The problem with kick off A is that back then, the first touch from kick off had to go backwards but we were never called up on it.

Genius.
    Takes me back. Our tactic seemed to be give the ball to the best player and he would try and dribble past all the opposition players ‘maradona style’!!! Always got tackled but never stopped trying!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    Takes me back. Our tactic seemed to be give the ball to the best player and he would try and dribble past all the opposition players ‘maradona style’!!! Always got tackled but never stopped trying!!
    To be fair, one of the players doing the chasing became and olympic sprinter and the other became an international striker. I think we had a "tactic" for corners and throw ins too which was basically - "get the ball as high as possible as deep as possible into the box".

But from open play our plan was basically "put it ahead of the fast lad to run on to" or "pass it to the big lad up front who is clearly head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch". And to be fair - that's a solid plan at under 11's.