+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off Thread: Is the Student Accommodation bubble about to burst

Off Thread: Is the Student Accommodation bubble about to burst

We all knew it was a 'backdoor' for developers to build with impunity against regs, but it looks like the future of these buildings is on dodgy ground
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49264945

Re: Off Thread: Is the Student Accommodation bubble about to burst

It's blatantly obvious what the developers are doing. Of course students aren't going to pay £650 per month for a room in a tower block when they can pay £350 per month to share a house with their mates. Is there really nothing that the council can do to stop this from happening?

I thought a few years back it was getting silly and there have since been more planned and actually built.

It depends to what extent they can take students out of areas like Cathays and Roath. It would be better for all concerned if they were able to but depends massively on the price.

I wonder otherwise how much it would cost to convert at least some to budget hotels, on events days in particular we have nowhere near enough rooms.

3 of my 4 sons went to Uni. There is a 14 year difference between the eldest and youngest. Their student flats were absolutely identical my eldest paid £250 & my youngest paid £520 last year, a 100%+ increase in price for the same facility in just 14 years.

My 3rd son got the best deal, no student flats available so he was offered a place in the student nurses block! Better quality, cheaper prices and the neighbours were well you know!

Numbers are dropping rapidly down to birthdate, student debt and lack of suitable jobs for graduates .

Demand falling, supply rising.

Apart from the red brick unis there isn’t a real problem in filling courses for most now.

My lad had 3 unconditional offers and a few others begging him just to consider them even though he didn’t even bother replying to them.

It’s not sustainable and the bubble is close to bursting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Numbers are dropping rapidly down to birthdate, student debt and lack of suitable jobs for graduates .

Demand falling, supply rising.

Apart from the red brick unis there isn’t a real problem in filling courses for most now.

My lad had 3 unconditional offers and a few others begging him just to consider them even though he didn’t even bother replying to them.

It’s not sustainable and the bubble is close to bursting point.
    It won't be long before the foreign students twig that UK universities are not what they once were. They have been turned into conveyer belts, and teaching standards have dropped. Even British youngsters are rethinking the whole university thing, as they weigh up student debt and the lack of relevent jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's blatantly obvious what the developers are doing. Of course students aren't going to pay £650 per month for a room in a tower block when they can pay £350 per month to share a house with their mates. Is there really nothing that the council can do to stop this from happening?
    And stop the bung trade?

International

They could give the spare accommodation to the homeless but that would probably not work.
    They would have to many complaints about the students taking drugs and keeping them awake with all the noise!!!!

No way they will fill them. They just winge and want to turn them in to private Airbnb style accom. I hope the council deny them this and they lose millions.....hotels will prob take them if the rooms are big enough

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It won't be long before the foreign students twig that UK universities are not what they once were. They have been turned into conveyer belts, and teaching standards have dropped. Even British youngsters are rethinking the whole university thing, as they weigh up student debt and the lack of relevent jobs.
    The market for these types of development was driven by an expectation that international incoming student numbers would continue to grow at the previous levels

The bubble is about to deflate because as has been suggested there are quality issues in a number of institutions, student funding streams are being redirected by institutions, numbers of Chinese and other Asian countries are dropping.

A further issue is the problems created for students by the visa process. In the uk they are required to pay a £800 health surcharge and you have to leave when you complete your degree.

Add in the cost of living and look at the increasing competition for international students from other European countries who teach degrees n English and there you have most of the reasons why this once lucrative market is becoming unsustainable

Overpaid over rated Vice chancellors driving their universities into a dark future. The development of unsustainable housing is just a symptom of the general financial apathy

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...udent-16929278

Cardiff council allows block of student flats to house non-students despite school's objections

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No way they will fill them. They just winge and want to turn them in to private Airbnb style accom. I hope the council deny them this and they lose millions.....hotels will prob take them if the rooms are big enough
    There are several other schemes in Cardiff already under way. The build spec. for the rooms is poor so they almost certainly can't offered for sale as individual units. Big losses on the way aka Bury FC..