+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loramski’s update without the humour

Loramski’s update without the humour

Re: Loramski’s update without the humour

What happened to loan watch? That was legitimately an excellent feature on here. far better than threads about a man child having a tantrum because his favourite player didn't come to his birthday party; and some look-at-me drivel from the boards most prolific bore.

It seems the excellent author of Loan Watch has been poached.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What happened to loan watch? That was legitimately an excellent feature on here. far better than threads about a man child having a tantrum because his favourite player didn't come to his birthday party; and some look-at-me drivel from the boards most prolific bore.
    +1, yes bring back Loramski.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    +1, yes bring back Loramski.
    I never went away. Loan Watch got shut down though, I thought I'd mentioned it on here. Velikonja House was being redeveloped and we had to share an office with an online sex toys firm. It was an accident waiting to happen to be honest and when a young lad got sent a game of anal hoopla instead of a signed photo of Rhys Healey our goose was cooked.

That's a decent article that Lawnmower has put up. I didn't realise Dan Martin was at Weston, him and Connor Davies are indefatigable full backs who get up and down their touchlines all game. There's more to full back play that, as Declan John found out, but they're great fun to watch. Dan Griffiths was a Velikonjaesque goalscorer for our Academy last season, it will be interesting to see how he gets on. George Ratcliffe already seems to be impressing in goal at Barry.

It's not a great level that those lads are playing at but they're only young and any regular first team football has to be better than being involved with our under-23s at present, especially if TOBW's horror stories about the 'football' they're playing this season are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I never went away. Loan Watch got shut down though, I thought I'd mentioned it on here. Velikonja House was being redeveloped and we had to share an office with an online sex toys firm. It was an accident waiting to happen to be honest and when a young lad got sent a game of anal hoopla instead of a signed photo of Rhys Healey our goose was cooked.

That's a decent article that Lawnmower has put up. I didn't realise Dan Martin was at Weston, him and Connor Davies are indefatigable full backs who get up and down their touchlines all game. There's more to full back play that, as Declan John found out, but they're great fun to watch. Dan Griffiths was a Velikonjaesque goalscorer for our Academy last season, it will be interesting to see how he gets on. George Ratcliffe already seems to be impressing in goal at Barry.

It's not a great level that those lads are playing at but they're only young and any regular first team football has to be better than being involved with our under-23s at present, especially if TOBW's horror stories about the 'football' they're playing this season are correct.
    I agree that competitive football is better than the friendlies that the u23s play even if it is Welsh Premier. I watched a few U23 highlights the other day, not a conclusive representation, granted, but the games look like exhibition matches. They don't look up to speed and lack intensity, by that i mean on the ball. There's no zip or controlled aggression. It's all a bot pretty. When there used to be a traditional reserve team then most of the players starting had a real chance of getting into the first team. If you didn't play on the saturday then you played for the reserves, if you were performing in the youth side then you played in the reserves, a massive boost for a young player in the youth team as it was seen as a big jump up in standard against seasoned professionals and players had to learn quickly. Imagine playing at fullback as a sixteen year old with george wood in goal and Terry boyle on the inside and you're marking a 20 year old trialist who hadn't quite made the mark at West Brom or Norwich etc and he's effectively playing for his career. Unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I agree that competitive football is better than the friendlies that the u23s play even if it is Welsh Premier. I watched a few U23 highlights the other day, not a conclusive representation, granted, but the games look like exhibition matches. They don't look up to speed and lack intensity, by that i mean on the ball. There's no zip or controlled aggression. It's all a bot pretty. When there used to be a traditional reserve team then most of the players starting had a real chance of getting into the first team. If you didn't play on the saturday then you played for the reserves, if you were performing in the youth side then you played in the reserves, a massive boost for a young player in the youth team as it was seen as a big jump up in standard against seasoned professionals and players had to learn quickly. Imagine playing at fullback as a sixteen year old with george wood in goal and Terry boyle on the inside and you're marking a 20 year old trialist who hadn't quite made the mark at West Brom or Norwich etc and he's effectively playing for his career. Unforgiving.
    I'd probably agree with you there, we are where we are for now though. The u-23 games aren't friendlies by the way but I take your point about the competitiveness involved sometimes, it can be hit or miss. I think the youngsters are much better off getting regular first team football out on loan, I assume they're still spending a certain amount of time each week training here too.

The big problem, that we go round and round in circles with on the Academy thread, is how the youngsters should be playing if the first team is managed by a Malky/Slade/Warnock type manager. From a young age we're trying to produce technically good footballers who can play possession based stuff with their eyes closed but what's the point if the first team manager wants something completely different? It's like spending ten years training kids to be classical musicians then expecting them to join a punk band at the end of it.

It's all very well saying they should be able to adapt to a different style but I don't think it's that simple. James Waite can't suddenly grow a foot for example. What happens to the full backs who've been brought up to bomb on and provide the width, the centre halves who've been brought up to be comfortable on the ball and retain possession, the poachers (like Griffiths) who can help link up play and are there to put away the numerous gilt-edged chances that come his way? You're not just asking these guys to adapt, you're expecting them to reinvent themselves. I don't know what the answer is but we don't seem to be getting any closer to finding one.

Look, I just want to know where Etien is now? We need him!

Etien is larging it in Dutch second tier with NEC

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Etien is larging it in Dutch second tier with NEC
    Go get him Neil! (Well in January).

I'd probably agree with you there, we are where we are for now though. The u-23 games aren't friendlies by the way but I take your point about the competitiveness involved sometimes, it can be hit or miss. I think the youngsters are much better off getting regular first team football out on loan, I assume they're still spending a certain amount of time each week training here too.

The big problem, that we go round and round in circles with on the Academy thread, is how the youngsters should be playing if the first team is managed by a Malky/Slade/Warnock type manager. From a young age we're trying to produce technically good footballers who can play possession based stuff with their eyes closed but what's the point if the first team manager wants something completely different? It's like spending ten years training kids to be classical musicians then expecting them to join a punk band at the end of it.

It's all very well saying they should be able to adapt to a different style but I don't think it's that simple. James Waite can't suddenly grow a foot for example. What happens to the full backs who've been brought up to bomb on and provide the width, the centre halves who've been brought up to be comfortable on the ball and retain possession, the poachers (like Griffiths) who can help link up play and are there to put away the numerous gilt-edged chances that come his way? You're not just asking these guys to adapt, you're expecting them to reinvent themselves. I don't know what the answer is but we don't seem to be getting any closer to finding one.
    If, as you say the u23s and youth teams are playing a more possession based game and learning to be comfortable on the ball then isn't that an admission by the club that the Warnock style of play is not long term. On the subject of the u23s; if a player isn't sniffing about the first team by the time they're 20 then they need to go. I'm not sure of the average age of the u23's but if i was 19 years of age and had a professional contract then i'd want to be around the first team, as i'm sure most of these lads are.

The old system was pretty basic but more effective at producing players in my opinion. I do have some experience of it, albeit 20 years ago (a lifetime in football terms) and at a time when the club was pretty shit. I will add that you have more knowledge than me on the development of these players so i may be off with my observations, but here goes. When i watch these young players i see a sanitised style of play, a robotic style that lacks freedom. The first thing i look for in a young player is their natural attributes, the things that they could do better than anyone else when they were 10 years old. I'm not bothered about a wayward pass or poor positioning, that can be ironed out, it's the natural ability that is the foundation for everything else, second to that is character, The rest will come with experience. I don't see a whole lot of character or natural ability, i see a group of young players who overwhelmingly do the 'right thing' it's like the natural side to their game has been coached out of them.

When i played in the City's youth team all those years ago it was the transitional team between the age group below and the reserves. If you were a schoolboy who was performing then you would be promoted to the youth team, 14-15 year olds playing against full time apprentices. If you were 16 or 17 and you were doing well in the youth team then you would get promoted to the reserves, 16 or 17 playing against seasoned professionals. I played a few reserve games at 16 and it was very tough going. I remember in one game i had to mark junior Bent and i quickly learnt that i couldn't allow him space to turn as he absolutely skinned me in the first minute, same with simon Davey while he was at Swansea, and i wasn't given any special treatment either.

I don't think that these young lads are getting the right experience by playing against other lads who are at the same developmental stage as them, it sort of nullifies things. The club need to concentrate on the two or three who have a chance of making it. If there is doubt with young players at 17 or 18 then they need to go, they may develop later on but the club can't wait for them, although even if we did have young players who could get into the first team squad then i very much doubt that Mr Warnock would want them, afterall, they don't play the game right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If, as you say the u23s and youth teams are playing a more possession based game and learning to be comfortable on the ball then isn't that an admission by the club that the Warnock style of play is not long term. On the subject of the u23s; if a player isn't sniffing about the first team by the time they're 20 then they need to go. I'm not sure of the average age of the u23's but if i was 19 years of age and had a professional contract then i'd want to be around the first team, as i'm sure most of these lads are.

The old system was pretty basic but more effective at producing players in my opinion. I do have some experience of it, albeit 20 years ago (a lifetime in football terms) and at a time when the club was pretty shit. I will add that you have more knowledge than me on the development of these players so i may be off with my observations, but here goes. When i watch these young players i see a sanitised style of play, a robotic style that lacks freedom. The first thing i look for in a young player is their natural attributes, the things that they could do better than anyone else when they were 10 years old. I'm not bothered about a wayward pass or poor positioning, that can be ironed out, it's the natural ability that is the foundation for everything else, second to that is character, The rest will come with experience. I don't see a whole lot of character or natural ability, i see a group of young players who overwhelmingly do the 'right thing' it's like the natural side to their game has been coached out of them.

When i played in the City's youth team all those years ago it was the transitional team between the age group below and the reserves. If you were a schoolboy who was performing then you would be promoted to the youth team, 14-15 year olds playing against full time apprentices. If you were 16 or 17 and you were doing well in the youth team then you would get promoted to the reserves, 16 or 17 playing against seasoned professionals. I played a few reserve games at 16 and it was very tough going. I remember in one game i had to mark junior Bent and i quickly learnt that i couldn't allow him space to turn as he absolutely skinned me in the first minute, same with simon Davey while he was at Swansea, and i wasn't given any special treatment either.

I don't think that these young lads are getting the right experience by playing against other lads who are at the same developmental stage as them, it sort of nullifies things. The club need to concentrate on the two or three who have a chance of making it. If there is doubt with young players at 17 or 18 then they need to go, they may develop later on but the club can't wait for them, although even if we did have young players who could get into the first team squad then i very much doubt that Mr Warnock would want them, afterall, they don't play the game right!

I've said before that there's a danger of releasing players that the new manager might want in a year's time but the best youngsters we've got were either in the League Cup squad last week which, hopefully, means they're on the first team's radar to some degree or are now out on loan. I can't see Warnock using any of them but last season's Academy squad won their league so I'd like to think there are some potential first teamers at the club that the new manager may be prepared to take a chance on at some point when he comes in next season.

I haven't seen the under-23s this season but from what TOBW is saying they're being expected to mimic the first team's 'style' of play which is logical to some degree but completely unsuited to the kind of players they have available. To be fair, I wouldn't say there are many youngsters here who are exactly demanding a first team place (although I'd like to think Coxe did himself no harm last week) and the lack of decent loan moves compared to a couple of years ago is a bit worrying.

I wouldn't say our Academy was playing a sanitised form of football last season. It was surprisingly intense and competitive (Bellamy's influence?) and there were some good individual performances as well as a team ethic. Robotic is probably a word I'd apply to the first team more often than the youngsters here.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Go get him Neil! (Well in January).
    There'll be a giant Bring Etien Home banner being passed around the stands before the Middlesbrough game. We may only create one more chance this season, we need to make sure we've got someone here who can bury it.

There'll be a giant Bring Etien Home banner being passed around the stands before the Middlesbrough game. We may only create one more chance this season, we need to make sure we've got someone here who can bury it.

I've only seen the one match at Under 18 and Under 23 level this season. From memory, the Under 23s didn't utilise the new rule where defenders don't need to be outside the area for a goal kick once, whereas the Under 18s took about a minute to do it and continued to do so throughout the game. I know for a fact though that the Under 23s had both full backs (Coxe and Brown) hurling long throws into the opponent's penalty area whenever they could and, in fact, we scored from one of them. That goal is one of three the team has scored in their trio of league matches (which have all been lost with a total of ten conceded), with the other two coming from a penalty and another set piece.

Jarred Harvey, who seemed to be in charge at Under 23 level last season, seems to have disappeared without trace and Leggy is now running things - they're down to play Bolton at home on Monday, but, given what's been happening with that club this season, there has to be a doubt whether the match will take place (Bolton's under 23s haven't played a game yet in 19/20).

Between them, the Academy and Development sides have played seven competitive matches this season and are still awaiting their first win.