+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromebook or laptop ?

Chromebook or laptop ?

Any suggestions you bunch of nerds

Re: Chromebook or laptop ?

We love our Chromebooks, our house has 3 of them, quick startup, runs very well, can install android app's on them

Saying that we also have 2 X Win 10 laptops here ( being used regularly )

if you just want a machine to surf the net, a bit of word processing ( thinking of your age and printing out letters etc ), battery life is very good, my daughters did 7 hours on our way back from our holidays last week, the chromebook ticks the box very well, wait for a month or 2 and currys etc will have the chromebook for £170 new, If 2nd had isnt a issue, expect to pay about £120

I am sat on a old one now, it no longer updates the Operating system ( its 6 years old now ) they say that they will update a chromebook for 5 years from when the chromebook 1st came out, mine still works fine, its not updating now, but still works well as a net machine, mine gets slung in my football training bag and i show the girls drills and formations on it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We love our Chromebooks, our house has 3 of them, quick startup, runs very well, can install android app's on them

Saying that we also have 2 X Win 10 laptops here ( being used regularly )

if you just want a machine to surf the net, a bit of word processing ( thinking of your age and printing out letters etc ), battery life is very good, my daughters did 7 hours on our way back from our holidays last week, the chromebook ticks the box very well, wait for a month or 2 and currys etc will have the chromebook for £170 new, If 2nd had isnt a issue, expect to pay about £120

I am sat on a old one now, it no longer updates the Operating system ( its 6 years old now ) they say that they will update a chromebook for 5 years from when the chromebook 1st came out, mine still works fine, its not updating now, but still works well as a net machine, mine gets slung in my football training bag and i show the girls drills and formations on it
    That's great thanks mate , any model ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Any suggestions you bunch of nerds
    Chromebook for me as well.

Chromebook great for surfing the net. Lightning fast and no need to mess about with anti virus software as it is pre-installed and updated. The only downside is printing as it will not work with standard printers. I have an HP.

Macbook pro.

Obviously massively depends on requirements etc, but my Acer Chromebook is the most reliable and used computer I've bought for a decade and it cost less than £300. So Chromebook

Chromebook it is then , my tablet is on its way out

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Macbook pro.
    My son is getting in to mixing tunes and says MacBook is the best way. Refurb is £500 or north. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    My son is getting in to mixing tunes and says MacBook is the best way. Refurb is £500 or north. Is that right?
    music production and video editing the mac is the industry standard but everything comes with an industry price as well. for most students, home users then I would recommend a chromebook anyday

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Yes, they are usually north of a £1000 brand new. I had mine new 5 years ago and it's still running smoothly, no issues, no need to get another one anytime soon... they are worth the money.

Macbook Air

Faster than any windows laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Macbook pro.
    Honestly the most overpriced piece of arse I've ever owned. Bought the 2018 model and for 2.2k was severely disappointed.

Recently invested in the new Huawei Matebook Pro which blows the specs out of the water considering the price difference.

Just have to put up with some Chinese blokes watching me through the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Macbook Air

Faster than any windows laptop
    Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    music production and video editing the mac is the industry standard but everything comes with an industry price as well. for most students, home users then I would recommend a chromebook anyday
    I don't get how a MacBook is industry standard for video editing?

I use a Windows computer with 16GB RAM, Nvidia graphics card and i7 processor and it exports video way faster, and paid more than half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Incorrect
    Agree, and for most things it's over spec'd anyway. I've never met sludge before but I doubt he's going to be doing video editing. I suspect it's for a bit of internet banking, ccmb and, overwhelmingly, grumble. A Chromebook will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Agree, and for most things it's over spec'd anyway. I've never met sludge before but I doubt he's going to be doing video editing. I suspect it's for a bit of internet banking, ccmb and, overwhelmingly, grumble. A Chromebook will be just fine
    Yup. That's exactly what Chromebooks are for and they're great for it. They're basically an lablet turned into a laptop.

Incorrect
    Macbook Air for posh rich families ??

Chromebook for sensible spenders with families who have to manage their incomes

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Chromebook great for surfing the net. Lightning fast and no need to mess about with anti virus software as it is pre-installed and updated. The only downside is printing as it will not work with standard printers. I have an HP.
    Would you describe a Chromebook as a bigger version of good quality tablets as some tabs can cost upwards of 400 squid , where Chromebooks are cheaper , with a bigger screen ,h better processor speed and web surfing than say a SAMSUNG tablet ??

Yup. That's exactly what Chromebooks are for and they're great for it. They're basically an lablet turned into a laptop.
    What's the advantage of having a keyboard instead of a touch screen ? I may as well by a decent tablet

What's the advantage of having a keyboard instead of a touch screen ? I may as well by a decent tablet
    Tactile response. Screen keyboards are shite.

I,m looking at a Lenovo ideapad

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1405817

so tech experts a good deal ? with a i5 8th gen processor too

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Tactile response. Screen keyboards are shite.
    So why are mobile phones touchscreen and not keyboard like my old Nokia ?

So why are mobile phones touchscreen and not keyboard like my old Nokia ?
    I've no idea. I'd happily buy a phone with a proper keypad. I could text with my hand in my pocket with buttons. **** all chance of that with a smartphone.

But that's not the point. Have you used a tablet on-screen keyboard? Tried touch typing on it? Far better off with a proper keyboard.

Chromebook for me. Once you get into the cloud mode they're brilliant. I use Word and Excel online mostly.